Custom Mixer
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Custom Mixer

Default Custom Mixer

I am making a custom mixer with a Livid Brain:

Component Map

Final Result (What it should look like)

I was going to keep my mappings secret- but here is a basic little map of what the main mapping will consist of:

RED ~ Cue Points
    LIGHT GREEN ~ Effects
    DARK GREEN ~ Pitch
    PINK ~ Crossfader
    LIGHT PURPLE ~ Loop Recorder
    DARK PURPLE ~ Filters (Lows,Mids,High, Key, Etc.)
    YELLOW ~ Loops
    ORANGE ~ Sample Decks
    BLACK ~ Headphone Cues
    TEAL ~ Volume
    DARK BLUE ~ Track Browsing

I am not asking for advice on how to build it.
    I am asking 3 questions only- the above is for reference

What should I add to this controller-- if I would like it?

What other mappings could I try with this controller?

Do you think it will perform well?

that's not a mixer, it's a midi controller.

wow ur a big help. the name of what it is doesnt matter to me- I just want it answers to my questions

Quote Originally Posted by DJ_Pabloco View Post
    I am asking 3 questions only- the above is for reference

1) The kitchen sink

2) Seems like you've got a button for everything - no need for different mappings lol

3) It'll be great, as long as you've got 193 fingers

Useful controls.

Hunh?

No. There's way too much going on. Do you really use all that stuff now, and if not do you really think that your controller is the reason?

Traktor has a lot of features so that it can appeal to a lot of different performance styles…not so you can cram all of them into a set.

wow ur a big help. the name of what it is doesnt matter to me- I just want it answers to my questions
    The reason I corrected your "naming" of that device as a mixer is because without knowing that extremely obvious distinction, I don't think you're going to be able to pull it off. It takes a decent bit of learning and dedication to build a controller if you start off not knowing how to do it…and if you're speaking that imprecisely, you probably have no clue how to do it. First step…which control board do you buy? Do you know what a multiplexor is, 'cuz you'll need a few. Do you know where/how to get boards etched, or are you planning on point-to-point wiring the whole thing? (hint…no, you're not)

If I were you, I'd think very seriously about what you want, why you want it, and how much you're really willing to put into building that thing before you spend a lot of money on components that you'll likely ruin with a soldering iron and/or throw out after a couple weeks/months of frustration.

It's all well and good to draw up things like that in ms paint, but it's another thing completely to design the circuitry and wind up with something that actually works.

If you do want to do it, there are companies around that will build custom controllers for you…but I'd expect the price to be in the ballpark of 2 grand. And I just don't see it being worth that compared to all the alternatives that come with nice things like drivers and warranties for reasonable prices, just to give marginally more control than a few hundred in off-the-shelf midi controllers.

I wasn't just trying to be a dick.

Quote Originally Posted by MiL0 View Post
    1)3) It'll be great, as long as you've got 193 fingers
    must admit there does seem to be a heck of a lot of buttons+pots etc on there - maybe two people could use it at the same time?
    11mba / 13mbp / tsp2 / live9 / audio10 / 2x reloop rp7000gold / 2x xdj1000 / 2x d2
    maschine mk2 / x1 mk2 / z1 / f1 / midifighter / lpd8 / 2x launchpad / launchkontrol xl
    Quote Originally Posted by derschaich
    "wohoo, i'm touched, turn on the FX"

re: the deleted post about whether people have tried to make a controller from parts of other controllers including jog wheels.... i've seen quite a few threads of stuff like that - including jog wheels. why not? i might try something like that if i can pick up one of these new gemini firstmix's - assuming they're easy enough to hack. there again i might just leave one as is - not sure yet.
    11mba / 13mbp / tsp2 / live9 / audio10 / 2x reloop rp7000gold / 2x xdj1000 / 2x d2
    maschine mk2 / x1 mk2 / z1 / f1 / midifighter / lpd8 / 2x launchpad / launchkontrol xl

the reason there are so much buttons is because I create very long mixes and do need quite a lot of elements. It incorporates two decks if you noticed. So I really eliminate the need for jog wheels. However If i needed them- they would probably just some cheep weel with a play and stop button. This is designed to be an all in one controller.

However my options are differing.

I was thinking of an NS6, a midi fighter, and a few mini midi fighters from numpads.

But with this and maybe one or two jog wheel things it would be pretty nice

Quote Originally Posted by mostapha View Post
    Useful controls.

Hunh?

No. There's way too much going on. Do you really use all that stuff now, and if not do you really think that your controller is the reason?

Traktor has a lot of features so that it can appeal to a lot of different performance styles…not so you can cram all of them into a set.

The reason I corrected your "naming" of that device as a mixer is because without knowing that extremely obvious distinction, I don't think you're going to be able to pull it off. It takes a decent bit of learning and dedication to build a controller if you start off not knowing how to do it…and if you're speaking that imprecisely, you probably have no clue how to do it. First step…which control board do you buy? Do you know what a multiplexor is, 'cuz you'll need a few. Do you know where/how to get boards etched, or are you planning on point-to-point wiring the whole thing? (hint…no, you're not)

If I were you, I'd think very seriously about what you want, why you want it, and how much you're really willing to put into building that thing before you spend a lot of money on components that you'll likely ruin with a soldering iron and/or throw out after a couple weeks/months of frustration.

It's all well and good to draw up things like that in ms paint, but it's another thing completely to design the circuitry and wind up with something that actually works.

If you do want to do it, there are companies around that will build custom controllers for you…but I'd expect the price to be in the ballpark of 2 grand. And I just don't see it being worth that compared to all the alternatives that come with nice things like drivers and warranties for reasonable prices, just to give marginally more control than a few hundred in off-the-shelf midi controllers.

I wasn't just trying to be a dick.
    True...
    As I have said this is just an option. But I am willing to do it, and I know a guy who works for Xerox, so he is extremely good at this soldering stuff. He has agreed to help me build this if I choose it. I know this sounds crazy, but I might add even more buttons!

However, my mind is starting to resort to other options. Like maybe 2 Classic Midi Fighters, a Midi fighter pro, and either an s4 or an ns6.

Or I will be a complete DJTT geek and get a VCI 100 Arcade, Two Classic Midi Fighters, And maybe a Midi Fighter Pro. Probably a few numpad mods too. And an X-session pro.

The first option is extremely customizable, so I like it-- but it is quite a lot of work. The second option seems reasonable- but I really dont like the s4's build. The ns6 really connected with me- but it is a little expensive.

The last option gives me the most features for the lowest price- and it is pretty ccustomizable. My mind is starting to lean toward the last option. I will probably make a thread on this so dont really waste too much time reading this comment.

However, my mind is starting to resort to other options. Like maybe 2 Classic Midi Fighters, a Midi fighter pro, and either an s4 or an ns6.

Or I will be a complete DJTT geek and get a VCI 100 Arcade, Two Classic Midi Fighters, And maybe a Midi Fighter Pro. Probably a few numpad mods too. And an X-session pro.
    personally i think the ns6 looks awesome if a little expensive. i love the idea of those moving platters...

i'm sure a lot of though went into deciding the 4x4 layout of the original midifighters and you can do a lot with it.

i picked up a launchpad for its flexability (if not because it has great pads lol) to get an idea of what works for me. i've been through a whole stack of different combinations of layouts and multiple pages so far - and the beauty of doing all that in software is i'm not losing any money by changing layouts and am finally starting to get an idea of what kind of controls are useful for the way i play.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast