Is this the ultimate DIY hardware VU meter?
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Default Is this the ultimate DIY hardware VU meter?

Midi2LCD v0.1 - Windows only.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6AUQUGt6wlQ

You don't actually need a usb LCD like I'm using in the video above. The included "LCD Smartie" program will emulate the LCD screen whilst you tweak things (or wait for your LCD screen to arrive in the post!).

First of all you're going to need a virtual midi port utility - I recommend LoopBe1 (which is free). Next, download and extract http://www.nicholas-johnson.com/stuff/Midi2LCD.zip somewhere and then run Traktor. Setup Traktor as per "how to setup Traktor.jpg". Next run "LCDSmartie.exe" followed by "Midi2LCD_v0.1.exe".

Midi2LCD will now ask you to setup the midi ports - make sure you choose LoopBe as your midi input (or whatever virtual midi port software you're using). DON'T choose the same midi port as your output otherwise you'll get a feedback loop.

If you've done all of the above correctly, you should now see the VU meters in Traktor being displayed on the LCD Smartie simulated screen (as well as on your USB LCD screen, if you have one).

I've enclosed the source files in the zip file - anyone who knows how to use AHK should edit \Midi2LCD\LCDSmartie\AHK\source\MidiRules.ahk if they want to add extra midi functions.

Original post:
    First of all, maximum respect to thelpb who gave me the idea for this project (he's working on the same thing himself). My LCD's arrived in the post this morning so I thought I'd knock something together in Autohotkey rather than wait for him to finish his midi dll for LCD Smartie. Anyway, nevermind all the technical stuff... check the proof of concept video out: (excuse the quality)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7I9Pr39qaso

So yeah, it's a bit rough around the edges at the moment and only displays midi CC values (0-127)... once I've worked on it some more it should look more like a traditional VU meter, more like:

Code:
    Deck A []||||||||||||    []
    Deck B []||||||          []
    for anyone who's interested in building a DIY controller with one of these built in, do it! the LCD screen's are very cheap: http://lcdmodkit.com/lcd/U162MB-A1.html

I'll be uploading the scripts and a how-to later, once it's a bit more polished looking

Oh yeah, for anyone who's interested... pretty much any midi that can be outputted from Traktor can be displayed on one of these LCD screens.

And for anyone who's wondering what the point of this thing is... the aim, for me, is to design a controller that doesn't require you to look at your laptop screen whilst dj'ing... this LCD screen is one small step towards that goal.

That is sweet, and definitely going in my next controller.

Tech Guru

Nice man I really need a VU meter thats easy to read and not on some computer screen. This has given me some ideas great post.

DJTT Super Moderator midifidler's Avatar

Nice!

Nice work - look forward to seeing your progress

Tech Wizard

Can't tease me like that and not share! :P
    -Matt Z
    DIY'er - Gadget Freak - Gearhead

do you have AIM/msn/email? pm me your details and I'll send you the files so we can both work on this

Tech Wizard

Quote Originally Posted by MiL0 View Post
    do you have AIM/msn/email? pm me your details and I'll send you the files so we can both work on this
    PM sent~
    -Matt Z
    DIY'er - Gadget Freak - Gearhead

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast