*BUILD LOG* 'CDJ 2000'-style DIY Traktor controller
Page 1 of 21 1234511 ... LastLast

Default *BUILD LOG* 'CDJ 2000'-style DIY Traktor controller

Just in the design stages at the moment but I'm pretty excited by this controller concept... think it's pretty unique and is a good compromise between a performance 'midi-fighter-esque' controller and a more traditional CDJ/mixer combo. See what you think:

The screen is a 7" USB screen by Samsung (model U70) and is the most expensive part (about £70). Haven't decided on a brain yet, but it'll probably be U-HID. The buttons on the left hand side of the screen come from a USB Numpad and are used to manipulate an Autohotkey script which controls what is displayed on the USB screen (via CloneThing, a tool that re-arranges Traktor GUI elements; see sig).

The platter comes from a Pioneer CDJ1000 (found a shop online that does them as spare parts) with a 'vinyl-cdr' attached to the top. The guts come from an EKS XP10.

The VU meter can be switched to show channel volume (pre/post) and master volume (again, see sig for how this works).

I've borrowed quite a few features from the S4 as it's obvious that this is the way that Traktor is headed. I particularly like the Gain as an encoder feature... certainly solves the auto-gain problem.

The thing I'm most proud of is the FX section above the screen (and the looping encoders under the screen). The encoders are designed to be 'lined up' with what's displayed on the screen. This means that I don't have to use hardly any LED's as you'll get a real-time update from each control. The best thing however, is that, with two of these controllers, I'll be able to hide the laptop somewhere and won't need to look at it all during a set. :eek:

Oh and by the way, it looks expensive, but my estimate per unit is well under £300 in parts. Having 2 of these things, for under £600 or choosing the new S4... hmmm, well I know which one I'd rather have...!

Thoughts? Suggestions? Questions?

DJTT Infectious Moderator photojojo's Avatar

Nice, gonna watch this one!
    Chris Jennings FHP

Podcast - Soundcloud - Mixcloud - Beatport Charts - x

Tech Mentor

Very ambitious project ....good luck...cant wait to see a prototype.

Tech Wizard

Very Nice.....

I'm really interested in this! From what I gather, no touch sensitive jog wheel? Why is that? Also I'm not sure the mixer section should be a part of a deck controller..but i can totally see having two of these and being set. I love the idea of using traktor without having to have the laptop out..this could really help restore the audience/dj interaction.
    2 x Technics 1200 mk5
    Behringer DJX 700
    Traktor Scratch Pro and Audio 8 DJ
    Novation Dicers
    http://soundcloud.com/anok-1

is there going to be a way to browse the library ???

↯↯ OFFICIAL SITE // MY SETUP ↯↯

Tech Guru

Very ambitious and can't wait to see where this goes if anything maybe some of the big companies will see this and try to integrate some of it into there own offerings. I find that when you start adding large LCD displays the price of the gear sky rockets which is a shame but I think it's less about the actual price of LCDs and more about only the top of the line gear have large LCD displays.
    Traktor Scratch Pro 2, 2X Stanton STR8-80, 2X Denon DN-S700, Akai APC40 + APC20, DDM4000, KRKRokit 8, HD25-II, iPad (Touch OSC)

Nice dude!!!!!!! This is a badass design. How much has it cost so far for it? Also can u maybe document it with pics as the project progresses?

badazz... what kind of encoders do you plan on using?

Like +1

Page 1 of 21 1234511 ... LastLast