True DIY midi controller
    Banned

Default True DIY midi controller

http://www.midibox.org/forum/index.p...ic,4490.0.html

This guy made his own controller from the ground up, and even got a letter from Allen & Heath complaining to him about it!

Actually when I finished my box I got an email from this marketing lady from Allen & Heath. They came across my box somewhere and were somewhat upset, partly because it is so similar to their xone stuff and partly because the Xone:3D was delayed 6 months and here was this kid making an A&H style controller in 3 months! Little did they know I worked for a sister company of there's (and hence the access to their parts).
    This is old but none the less I found it interesting and a very good walk through.

Cheers!

I also made my controller ground up. It is based on midibox64 platform.

Banned

That's pretty rad, how much money/time did that take you?

Quote Originally Posted by hoxoboxo View Post
    I also made my controller ground up. It is based on midibox64 platform.
    :eek: lookin' nice !!!
    really like your buttons, can you tell me more about them ?
    'cause MEC switches are aparently not so good for intensve use...
    The MEC push-button switches had me worried as they didn't seem very robust. Some of them seem to have lost a little bit of their 'click' action - they maybe don't click as snappy. They still work fine but if I'm really paying attention I can sometimes feel a variation in the amount of 'click force' from one to the next. Something definitely to consider if your midibox or other hardware project is going to take abuse.

yeah, that's a really solid looking midi controller hoxo. Multicolored lights, with what looks like possible MIDI in information.

I think all of us would be interested to know more!
    Monika.mhz - I do things. Also stuff.
    -------------------
    Read the F.A.Q!
    Articles: Streamline Your Laptop for Djs(Windows)

DJTT Super Moderator midifidler's Avatar

Not quite built from the ground up,

But damn it is by far the nicest midibox ive seen so far.

Would be awesome to have access to those parts, virtually all of the awesome interface elements in decent kit are custom parts or have a high MOQ and are extremely hard to track down the manufacturer.

Thanks! Information needed to build it is available on midibox.org. Here's the link to the thread about my box:http://www.midibox.org/forum/index.p...c,13239.0.html

Switches feel ok, and they work fine http://www.rapidonline.com/Electroni...switches/71703. Faders are real crap, they are very stiff http://www.rapidonline.com/Electroni...iometers/65234 and I can't find any Dj-style caps (plastic things that go on top). LED lights are monocoloured and response to MIDI in. No advertising for rapid though, prices for post are really high.

Total cost was about 300€ (i had a lot of equipment needed at home) and it took 6 months to build, but it was fun.
    Last edited by hoxoboxo; 05-06-2009 at 12:53 PM.

With that much buttons/potentiometers you can do pretty much everything in Traktor. But I wish I also implemented jog wheels/rotary encoders.