S4 - Traktor Pro 2 - Scamo's Effect Jogs Extreme [Version 4.3 Gold]
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Default S4 - Traktor Pro 2 - Scamo's Effect Jogs Extreme [Version 4.3 Gold]

Hi everyone,

Well, this is now what I consider a stable mapping and so I am calling it the first "gold" version. It doesn't mean it is completely error free. It just means, I think it is good enough for people to use in a performance environment.

What is new?

• I've created and added a user's manual for the mapping. That is why the download is a zip file. There is also an explanation in the manual on how to add your own effect groupings. This requires knowledge in mapping with Traktor though.
    • I've added a cool 4th effect mode. I call it "The Riffer", because you can basically use it to add drum riffs into the song. It's my favorite.

If you want to read up on how the mapping evolved, you can in these threads. However, the manual explains pretty much everything too.

http://www.djtechtools.com/forum/showthread.php?t=39910
    http://www.djtechtools.com/forum/showthread.php?t=40818
    http://www.djtechtools.com/forum/showthread.php?t=43115

I hope everyone enjoys the mapping and your feedback would be greatly appreciated.

Edit/ I wish I could make a nice demonstration/ tutorial video for you all, but I don't have the equipment or software yet. So, the next best thing, here is a soundcloud track where I've mixed two songs and used the 4 different effects modes during the mix. I've written comments as to which effect is being used and when.

scamo

Copyright and Usage

Anyone can use this mapping free of charge for their own personal or professional use. It MAY NOT be uploaded to any other web site for download or passed on to third parties in its original or modified form without my authorization.
    Last edited by scamo; 01-02-2012 at 01:19 PM.
    Skooppa - the revolution is beginning!

You want the best FX jogs on the S4? Then try this mapping!

Our Mixes: Mixcloud - Soundcloud
    Hehe...yeah. We're just beginning.

Tech Convert

Will try it out. Thanks

Tech Mentor

i'll give it a go thanks!

Has anyone tried it out? Any feedback, good or bad? I'm dying here.

scamo

Tech Mentor

Mapping is overall excellent. I honestly like this setup than the DJ techtools mapping. Gives as much functionality of having multiple effects and its pretty solid overall...will play around with it tonight.

One thing that i really am against though scamo and this is just personal preference. On the 4th combo you have setup...it adds in the filter...but when you release the jog wheel it doesnt reset the filter.
    Personally i dont think incorporating filters is a good idea...let the effects be the effects and let people add in their own filters...Thats just my personal preference though.

As well when you are in browser mode on Combo 4 and use the jogwheel to scroll through your browser, it affects the filter.

With that said...could u revise the mapping to include with and without filter? I dont really have much exp with mapping :P
    Kontrol S4-Novation Launch Pad-MF Pro BM-Traktor Pro 2-KRKRP8/KRK10-Windows 7 64 Bit-Toshiba A660

I dont care if you use 2 ipads...2 cassette tapes...or a washboard and a wooden spoon...if you rock it, you rock it.

Tech Convert

I noticed that with the filter in the 4th effect also. Also is there a echo freeze function somewhere. If not that would be a cool addition.

Thanks for the feedback!

@Gapout - Yes, the filter was just added to mode 4 to show that you don't necessarily have to stick to just the effects with the jogs. You can basically control anything you want in Traktor. The filter is, if I recall correctly, just two commands in the mapping for each jog. Search in the commands for the filter function and under Cond1 M1=4 and M2=4 and delete those two commands for each jog (4 in total) and the filter in mode 4 is removed. I think I'll take the filter out of the next version, as it really doesn't help the effect itself. I just wanted to demonstrate the overall potential of the whole idea of jog FX with Traktor and the S4.

@Mercules82 - Echo Freeze is in Mode 2. If you press the "FX On" button (the button under the Wet/Dry knob), it will turn on the freeze and the T3 Delay in effect units 2 or 4 respectively. This should be in the manual too. To do the freeze with effects however, you need to hold the jog touch too, if that is what you want. You can freeze at any time though. Theoretically, I could add the freeze to each mode except mode1, since the T3 Delay is available in effect units 2 and 4 all the time and are not being used. The fact effects units 2 and 4 are hardly used gives us some more potential we could visit in the future. I am still looking for the killer effect grouping. Although, I do think my Riffer effect (Mode 4) is pretty neat.

This just reminded me of a restriction I forgot to add in the manual too. If you change the effects or the mode in the effects units, the mapping won't necessarily bring you back to the correct mode or effects again. This is also why it wouldn't work with a second controller like the Midi Fighter. (Me makes a note to either correct this or write the restriction in the manual for next version.) For those of you saying, "make it work with the midi-fighter", I'd love to, however, that would also mean the mapping would get a lot more complicated, which also means adding your own effects groupings would be only something very accomplished mappers could do. So, I am going with simplicity first, so less experienced mappers can have a go at making their own groupings. I hope that is understandable.

scamo

Tech Mentor

Oh another little thing i found.

I set a 8 or 4 beat loop on Deck B, now i switch my jogs to effects mode to start screwing with the loop. when i hit the effects the loop is no longer looping and will keep playing the song instead of looping.

I have made a bypass by just having cue points and juggling them...but it would be nice to keep the loop looping until i dont want it anymore

Kontrol S4-Novation Launch Pad-MF Pro BM-Traktor Pro 2-KRKRP8/KRK10-Windows 7 64 Bit-Toshiba A660

I dont care if you use 2 ipads...2 cassette tapes...or a washboard and a wooden spoon...if you rock it, you rock it.

Tech Mentor

I know this may be down the road a bit...

But is there a way to use these effects in Decks C and D, that would be best...the effect combos are really good and i enjoy them but i find they are a little sudden to be using at once...being able to add them to a sample while my track is playing has better continunity...(bad spelling)

Lastly...

A Good trick that i have found to use these effects is to have 2 of the same songs playing in perfect sync...screw around with the EQs so i have the highs/mids on 1 and the lower end on the other track and then screw with the effects to add some shape and dynamics and record as 1 track...then use that track in mixing...

Overall a really good mapping. Once i get a decent mix i will post it up

Yeah, in mode 1 (Ean's Beatmasher) I have a cue in set on the jog press, so you can cue back to the position you started messing with the effects. This way you can extend a break, for instance by starting mode 1 and cue back to the point where you started, then press play (in rhythm) and stop the effect (release the jog) to drop back into the track rigt at the end of the break. With this technique, you can create a whole new break and extend it too for more energy. Unfortunately, setting the cue in kills a set loop, so what you are seeing is "normal" operation.

I was also playing with the idea of setting a loop while playing an effect. I had actually tried it out and decided not to incorporate it and instead went with setting the cue in.

The other modes should work with loops, no problem.

The doubling up or mirroring the tracks I found to be pretty cool too. Something else you could try out is setting cue points and juggling between them and also doing the effects between the juggle. Do this on a vocal. It is pretty cool. This technique is something you could never do with just the normal effect knobs and buttons.

This mapping is still in its baby shoes and quite experimental. So, any good ideas can be implemented. Theoretically, I could make a mapping to work for Decks C and D as normal track decks too, but I prefer the sample deck layout for Decks C and D.

scamo

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast