Moog Synthesizer question!

Default Moog Synthesizer question!

Hey Guys,

I was just wondering has anyone here ever used a Moog Little Phatty Stage 2, and what they thought of it? Anyone have any experience with these at all? Or know of any good places to check out reviews (I have looked at GC, and Amazon and on YouTube as well).

Any information regarding it would be appreciated.

Thanks

Banned

What are you looking for exactly? Is it just going to be for studio use? Planning to tour with it? What kind of stuff are you planning to make with it?

Banned

Also, don't forget about the Slim Phatty. It's just a desktop/rackmount version of the Little Phatty minus the keys. It's also a monophonic synth as well if you weren't aware, so it's also limiting in that aspect as well.

If you're looking for a versatile synth I would look the Access lineup or the Dave Smith line up. Good deals to be found with those two.

Quote Originally Posted by Nephew View Post
    What are you looking for exactly? Is it just going to be for studio use? Planning to tour with it? What kind of stuff are you planning to make with it?
    Looking to just produce music with it in my home studio. So just studio use .

Also, don't forget about the Slim Phatty. It's just a desktop/rackmount version of the Little Phatty minus the keys. It's also a monophonic synth as well if you weren't aware, so it's also limiting in that aspect as well.

If you're looking for a versatile synth I would look the Access lineup or the Dave Smith line up. Good deals to be found with those two.
    I was thinking about just getting the Slim Phatty initially then I realized I definitely want the keys with it as I only have one other keyboard which I probably won't be using too much once I get the Little Phatty. And as for the Access / Dave Smith lines which models would you suggest in either line?

The only Dave Smith synth that is in my music budget is the Mopho, and all the Access synths are out of my budget (looking at just Guitar Centers stock) .

Thanks a lot for your response sir Nephew!

Tech Mentor

If you are looking for a modern monophonic synth with keyboard there are not a lot of options:

- Moog voyager if you have the money, this is a beauty!
    - Moog Phatty - not a lot of routing modulation options and you have to like the moog sound.
    - DSI Mopho - I had one, very powerful with a lot of possibilities of modulation, very good synth. The fatar keybed is excellent and you have all the knobs in front of you

The real question is do you really need a hardware synth? Diva by U-he is fantastic for analog type sound and in a mix it is hard to hear a difference.

I love hardware synths, but it is not very convenient to work with (Except the TI's) and the marginal but lovely difference in sound is not that huge nowadays.

Banned

Well, you can use any midi keyboard with it, so why not save yourself a few hundred dollars and get the Slim Phatty? If you were touring with it that would be another story as the keys would be useful but not needed if it's going to be hard wired in your studio.

PLUS you need to get a really decent interface as well if you're going with any hardware synth, otherwise you'll just be losing all the little analog nuances that make it stand out.

As for decent analog synths in the Little Phatty price range (1100 to 1400 depending on condition and if you get the CV out model or not) you have a LOT of options. You could go with the Mopho, or even a Prophet 08 desktop. Could even look at a Tetra. It didn't earn the nick name "Techno in a Box" for no reason you know.

And that's just the Dave Smith stuff I mentioned. Could try jumping on Craigslist and see what vintage synths you can snatch up for a steal like a Juno 106 for example. Awesome analog/digital hybrid synth that's awesome to learn on and has a distinct sound.

Side note, don't be afraid to go for the desktop versions if you're not planning to play gigs with them. They take up much less space, can save yourself hundreds of dollars and still get the same sounds out of them.

BUT, like Erpi said, software might be the way to go. Has TONS more advantages, pls the audio difference is almost a mot point now a days. The emulations are pretty spot on, plus all the original digital synths coming out are doing things that harware synths can only dream of being able to do.

So before you make that plunge really stop and think if this is something you need or want at the moment.

Well, you can use any midi keyboard with it, so why not save yourself a few hundred dollars and get the Slim Phatty? If you were touring with it that would be another story as the keys would be useful but not needed if it's going to be hard wired in your studio.

PLUS you need to get a really decent interface as well if you're going with any hardware synth, otherwise you'll just be losing all the little analog nuances that make it stand out.

As for decent analog synths in the Little Phatty price range (1100 to 1400 depending on condition and if you get the CV out model or not) you have a LOT of options. You could go with the Mopho, or even a Prophet 08 desktop. Could even look at a Tetra. It didn't earn the nick name "Techno in a Box" for no reason you know.

And that's just the Dave Smith stuff I mentioned. Could try jumping on Craigslist and see what vintage synths you can snatch up for a steal like a Juno 106 for example. Awesome analog/digital hybrid synth that's awesome to learn on and has a distinct sound.

Side note, don't be afraid to go for the desktop versions if you're not planning to play gigs with them. They take up much less space, can save yourself hundreds of dollars and still get the same sounds out of them.

BUT, like Erpi said, software might be the way to go. Has TONS more advantages, pls the audio difference is almost a mot point now a days. The emulations are pretty spot on, plus all the original digital synths coming out are doing things that harware synths can only dream of being able to do.

So before you make that plunge really stop and think if this is something you need or want at the moment.
    Very good points, I think I may just go and use like the VST versions of most, and then later down the line when I get better at production I will pick one up. Truly appreciate both your insights.

Thanks again guys! Saved me a ton of money and I am going to pick up other stuff instead!