"Intermediary midi mapping" software *discussion thread* (Traktor mapping is a pain) - Page 28
Page 28 of 44 FirstFirst ... 1824252627282930313238 ... LastLast

Tech Wizard

That was a massive read!

Just plowed through the 28 pages of thread... Been using MM for a couple of days now. Got it up and running after some trial and error... The thing I got wrong at first was the ins and outs for virtual mf's in traktor. I was looking at it from traktors viewpoint and nott from mm's so first tried to set them the other way around.

Anyways, superstoked and all good so far! From now on it seems the controllers without layers in firmware will be superior due to the flexibility this app add's.

A couple of things that spring to mind that could be implemented.
    Automation of fx from counters or some other great solution.

Soft fadermovements like in katapult. So that the fader doesn't jump straight to the 5th value when pressed. could be messy to for sure. But nice to have the choice =)

Think I had something else in mind around page 15 but can't seem to recall that at the moment.

Due to my limitations in pragramming skills I probably won't add much in that department. Could however do some labor when it comes to adding traktorfunctions. Liked the idea with a slit tsi. either by deck or by functiongroup.

Suppose in the end since we all have our own workflow it's hard to find a standard that fits everyone...
    Checking so I got it right, for now it's best to leave traktor buttons on hold to be able to hold or toggle in mm.

Another q, a mate of mine wants to make a very specific mapping. And would need to ignore the note of in a clever manner if other buttons are pushed.

It's the next logical step from the instant grat mapping. Instead of firing supercombos he would like to be able to let go of the first buttons in a combo and start executing a different one with two or three fingers.

Not sure that made sense...

Probably won't find time to make my own confic for a few more days but looking forward to get it done. I will need deck C and D though. Pretty much decided to trigger samples in external software.

Suppose it would also be possible to make a different TSI for torq or other software... Could perhaps help with that to in time.

One q about the slicer. Spent some time on the real one since I used to own a twitch. Suppose the slice size and playback length functions are left out?

Didn't have much time to try stuff out the other day.

I'll stop for now, seems like I produced an awful lot of text!

Cheers
    //Joel

Okies, ordered the Akai LPD8, and I expect it to be delivered tomorrow

I'm very excited to play with it, and esp. the Slicer-function by u, Zestoi...
    Where do I start?

Download Midimasher... what's next?

Tech Wizard

Merry christmas fellas!

Been playing around with the midimasher now and then...
    Since new to programming it sometimes takes a little time before I sort things out, but being stubborn helps

I'm a bit torn at this point, think the midimasher is great in some ways and at the same time a little cumbersome at times.

A lot easier to map LEDs for sure. Have some issues with a couple of things and a lot of q's....

So I'll just throw then out. Some are probably stupid and others might not be. We'll see.

Think I read about noterepead somewhere in this thread, is that availible, will it be added later or do I have to sort that out in traktor?

Don't quite get the color array set up for hotcues in your launchpad config. It still just use the first color right? Hi yellow are typed in five/six times followed by red. A little puzzled. It all works just fine, I'm just curious.

Is there a list of all your "named" colors somewhere? I ended upp using the midinumbers since I wanted some other colors then used in your examples. Which is cool. Real easy to get flashing to since half the midi notes give flashing leds... The flashing is somewhat unpredictable though. I know it's synced to traktor. So obviously it will be faster when messing with short loops etc. but it slows down when the warning for track ending is sent, somewhat annoying.

Would it be possible to use other "gates" that if & and? I would love to have access to the or command. That would give great possibility for instant grat mappings...

General q, you use cc's for everything in the traktor.tsi is there a reason for that? I lack some knowledge in midi and read as much as I can but don't get everything yet. Seems like notes should be sufficient for a lot of things...

And also, I would be greatful if someone could explain what a midi pc is, can't seem to find that. No problem looking other stuff up in midi documentations.

A small "bug" the play button willl remain lit when track has ended since no off message is sent.

And one more thing, to be able to make the specific mappings I'm after I would have to make a lot of custom traktor stuff and add them to the tsi. Is there a simple way to keep my customizations separate? Is there a certain note or cc range I should stick to? I want my setup to be compatible with future versions

I hope I don't sound ungreatfull with all these q's and ideas... I love the extra power this gives my launchpad and have a hard time deciding how to proceed.

Going the midimasher route all the way or to create traktor tsi's for each layer since I seem to need a lot of custom stuff anyways. I know leds are harder...
    But some work has do be done twice with the masher, first mapped then coded. Think the code setup is great though! So much faster. BTW, could I debug my config if I make a mistake in code? Now I just know that there is a problem if the app shut down on initiation =) No big deal, but I might aswell ask.

I'm stoked and seem to spend to much time experimenting and learning and to little sleeping

I'm willing to help out with mappings and such if help is needed. Just send a PM if so.

cheers and keep up the good work!

Ehh... is this ok ?

(happens with Debug / Midimasher.bat / and the other one)

After it, it closes the software.

This does look good tho..?

Then again... end result:

- Instant Grat FX MF 1.03.tsi seems to be working, just have to figure out, the mapping.

- Slicer mode doesnt work at all.

Any suggestions Zestoi?

Quote Originally Posted by ZiiK View Post
    That was a massive read!
    wow yep... that would be one mahoosive read sorry for the delay - not been checking this forum for a while due to too much work.

Automation of fx from counters or some other great solution.
    easy enough to do - u can capture() the beatphase/heartbeat and do what u want with it. next version will use a lower granularity for the beatphase tho. using 16 per beat atm - which is overkill for most things and means more midi streaming thru all the time when we don't need it. thinking of latency mostly. probably going to change the tsi to send out a noteon+off per beat - and mod the code to use that.

Soft fadermovements like in katapult. So that the fader doesn't jump straight to the 5th value when pressed. could be messy to for sure. But nice to have the choice =)
    sure - should be possible soon - which will allow events to be queued up. i know katapult does that but i've always had it turned off. when i press a button i want it to go there asap. but if useful it could be implemented.

Another q, a mate of mine wants to make a very specific mapping. And would need to ignore the note of in a clever manner if other buttons are pushed.
    by default using trigger() only processes the 'on' event - but you could capture() any event u want and just send out the on event and/or both depending on the condition etc.

something like this which would always send out the ON event but only the OFF event when the modifier is set/pressed:

Code:
    capture("launchpad", "0,0", ALL, 0, function(d,e,v,p)
        if v > 0 or get("some_modifier") > 0 then
            send("traktor", "some-event", v)
        end
    end)
    Suppose it would also be possible to make a different TSI for torq or other software... Could perhaps help with that to in time.
    yep cool - with torq u can manually edit it's xml config file afaik - so might not be as much of a pain as traktor. could even have the torq xml modified by mm - tho a static one like the traktor tsi would do.

One q about the slicer. Spent some time on the real one since I used to own a twitch. Suppose the slice size and playback length functions are left out?
    for now yep - but should be simple enough (?) to put in
    11mba / 13mbp / tsp2 / live9 / audio10 / 2x reloop rp7000gold / 2x xdj1000 / 2x d2
    maschine mk2 / x1 mk2 / z1 / f1 / midifighter / lpd8 / 2x launchpad / launchkontrol xl
    Quote Originally Posted by derschaich
    "wohoo, i'm touched, turn on the FX"

Quote Originally Posted by bascurtiz View Post

Ehh... is this ok ?
    i would say i have broken it

i reworked almost all of the slicer code the other month and tested on a launchpad. pretty sure i didn't go back and check the lpd8 slicer config to make any changes. will make sure i look at that in my next set of updates.
    11mba / 13mbp / tsp2 / live9 / audio10 / 2x reloop rp7000gold / 2x xdj1000 / 2x d2
    maschine mk2 / x1 mk2 / z1 / f1 / midifighter / lpd8 / 2x launchpad / launchkontrol xl

Tech Wizard

sorry for the mammoth post the other day.

Just checking if it would be possible to make the launchpad 8x8 grid a device similar to the virtual midifighter and use pre made launchpad mappings for each page.

Can't see why it would not work, but would like confirmation since I am very new to this.

Been having great fun learning so far!

Thanks zestoi for this awesome app!

Cheers

Think I read about noterepead somewhere in this thread, is that availible, will it be added later or do I have to sort that out in traktor?
    no native note repeat in mm yet - should be soon. for now you'd just create a new mini tsi in traktor, link it to the same midi ports as the default mm tsi and add any extra mappings u want in there. had a similar discussion with someone else recently and concluded that it'd be safe to use any note's in custom tsi's as mm is only using CC's in it's traktor config and i have plenty of free midi channels to use yet.

Don't quite get the color array set up for hotcues in your launchpad config. It still just use the first color right? Hi yellow are typed in five/six times followed by red. A little puzzled. It all works just fine, I'm just curious.
    different cue types have different midi values in traktor. if u don't mind them all being the same color u can just specify one. if u want them to be diff then u can specify a "table" like the launchpad config does. i know a normal hotcue sends out 1 and a loop sends out 6 - which is why i made the 6th element in that table 'red'. not sure what all interrim values are.

Is there a list of all your "named" colors somewhere? I ended upp using the midinumbers since I wanted some other colors then used in your examples. Which is cool. Real easy to get flashing to since half the midi notes give flashing leds... The flashing is somewhat unpredictable though. I know it's synced to traktor. So obviously it will be faster when messing with short loops etc. but it slows down when the warning for track ending is sent, somewhat annoying.
    launchpad colors are defined in lib/launchpad.lua - other controllers will be diff ofc. that file gets loaded if a controller of type "launchpad" is in your main config.

hadn't noticed the slowing down... the call to launchpad.traktor_sync("lp") makes any flashing ones flash to whatever the beatphase is. without calling that they flash at the launchpads internal rate.

the flashing leds have been the biggest pain for me with the launchpad support - esp keeping them flashing on page switches/refreshes.

Would it be possible to use other "gates" that if & and? I would love to have access to the or command. That would give great possibility for instant grat mappings...
    the config is lua - u can use whatever logic u want...

Code:
    capture("traktor", "play_a", ALL, 0, function(d,e,v,p)
        if get('foo') and get('bar') or get('fish') then
            send("launchpad", "3,4", 127)
            set('fubar', 42)
        end
    end)
    General q, you use cc's for everything in the traktor.tsi is there a reason for that? I lack some knowledge in midi and read as much as I can but don't get everything yet. Seems like notes should be sufficient for a lot of things...
    yep - all cc's but they could also be notes. makes no real difference for how midimasher is using them. internally a noteoff with any value is treated the same as a noteon with zero value anyway - which is the only real diff between notes and cc's. cc's can also be hires where notes can't, but mm doesn't have full support for that yet.

And also, I would be greatful if someone could explain what a midi pc is, can't seem to find that. No problem looking other stuff up in midi documentations.
    a program change message. allows the PC bank of an lpd to be used for example - when u can't normally. not completely useful tho as a client doesnt have to send a zero PC message on release - and the lpd8 doesn't. in fact on the lpd8 a PC message is only 2 bytes i think as that's all that is needed. just means u can't map a pad-release if the client/controller behaves like that.

A small "bug" the play button willl remain lit when track has ended since no off message is sent.
    ah ok - didnt realise that- odd traktor doesnt send an off event? guess i never let tracks play out right to the end. i suspect the play led will go out when u load a new track tho?

And one more thing, to be able to make the specific mappings I'm after I would have to make a lot of custom traktor stuff and add them to the tsi. Is there a simple way to keep my customizations separate? Is there a certain note or cc range I should stick to? I want my setup to be compatible with future versions
    use a sep tsi - connect to the same midi ports as the main one - and just use note's to be 100% safe.

I hope I don't sound ungreatfull with all these q's and ideas... I love the extra power this gives my launchpad and have a hard time deciding how to proceed.
    questions and ideas are always welcome i'll reply much faster from now on. usually check the forum several times a day - just had no time recently.

Going the midimasher route all the way or to create traktor tsi's for each layer since I seem to need a lot of custom stuff anyways. I know leds are harder...
    But some work has do be done twice with the masher, first mapped then coded. Think the code setup is great though! So much faster. BTW, could I debug my config if I make a mistake in code? Now I just know that there is a problem if the app shut down on initiation =) No big deal, but I might aswell ask.
    i usually add in debug print() statements if i'm using capture() or even in the api code sometimes and/or run with debug mode turned on. biggest pain with debug mode is the streaming of beatphase and levels - so i might add some option to dump debug but skip those.

I'm stoked and seem to spend to much time experimenting and learning and to little sleeping

I'm willing to help out with mappings and such if help is needed. Just send a PM if so.

cheers and keep up the good work!
    cool - cheers i'm planning on getting back to mm coding in a day or so - and have lots i want to do....

sorry for the mammoth post the other day.
    np lol - it's all good. just wish i hadn't been so busy recently...

Just checking if it would be possible to make the launchpad 8x8 grid a device similar to the virtual midifighter and use pre made launchpad mappings for each page.
    sure. you'd just want to create some function that u can pass the page number u want to assign the controls to - which is all the virtual midifighter code does really. like:

Code:
    function lp_something(device, page)
       pipe(device, "0,0", page, "traktor", "play_a")
       pipe(device, "0,1", page, "traktor", "play_b")
    end

lp_something("launchpad", 2)
    which would then assign whatever controls u define in lp_something() to page 2 of your lp.

if you put those functions in lib/launchpad.custom.lua then it will get automatically loaded when u attach a launchpad device in your main config. or just load via a require() in your config