Mini Controller for Cue Points - 10$ - Page 5
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Actually - midi feedback LED's is perfectly possible with just a numpad and some software. Most numpads have 3 LED's built into them and these could be triggered via some AHK scripting. The only limitation would be having just 3 LED's. When I get some time this week I'll have a go at writing a script.

The way it would work is:

- Traktor outputs LED midi data to a virtual midi device (like LoopBe or Hubi)
    - AHK script receives midi data via virtual midi device and converts it into keystroke data (simulate pressing of numlock, capslock and scroll lock keys)
    - End result: Numpad LED's turn on and off when receiving midi

Potential problems:

- Turning numlock, capslock and scroll lock on and off might mess up other keyboard mappings. (edit: actually, looks like AHK can control the LEDs without altering the actual state: http://www.autohotkey.com/forum/topic10532.html)

I want to add some leds, i don't care about midi out or any feedback, just some ilumination, Can it be done?

Ok, I'm definitely giving this a go!

I'm planning a numpad mod that will be a blatant rip off of the Midifighter. I've no experience on this though. Any chance you can explain thw wiring/soldering bit a bit more, like what goes to where? And also, how you find which connector is which key?

What should be on my shopping list?

* 16 arcade buttons (what type are best? MF's use Sanwa OBSF-24 I believe, are any others ok?)
    * box to house it all
    * USB Numpad
    * Wiring (any specific type?)
    * 16 LEDs

I'm planning on using an LED next to each button so that when thta button is pressed, the LED comes on, and go off when you let go of the button. Is this possible without needing any third party software? There'll be no need for MIDI feedback, just for LED to be activated whilst button is depressed, so I assume there's some way for the button to activate the LED?
    Last edited by Bunford; 05-19-2011 at 03:10 AM.
    Ableton 9.7.5, Native Instruments Komplete Ultimate 11, MOTU 828 Mk2, Nektar Impact LX61+, Ableton Push, Native Instruments Kore 2, and a random selection of soft synths and sample libraries.
    Windows 10 Pro 64 bit with Core i7 4960X Extreme Edition 12 core CPU, 64GB RAM, SanDisk Ultra Extreme SSDs and a GeForce GTX 970 G1 Gaming GPU.

it should be possible - but you'll need some resistors (sorry can't help with which type unfortunately - check the Ean Golden video)

also, I'm not sure if the USB power will be enough to power 16 LED's... you might need to use a separate power supply (or not press all 16 buttons at the same time!)

Quote Originally Posted by MiL0 View Post
    also, I'm not sure if the USB power will be enough to power 16 LED's... you might need to use a separate power supply (or not press all 16 buttons at the same time!)
    Quite lucky that evolution means I don't have 16 fingers then!

But I will only be using about 4/5 buttons simultaneously at most I'd imagine, so would the USB power (about 5v I believe) be enough to power the unit as well as 4/5 LEDs at the same time?
    Ableton 9.7.5, Native Instruments Komplete Ultimate 11, MOTU 828 Mk2, Nektar Impact LX61+, Ableton Push, Native Instruments Kore 2, and a random selection of soft synths and sample libraries.
    Windows 10 Pro 64 bit with Core i7 4960X Extreme Edition 12 core CPU, 64GB RAM, SanDisk Ultra Extreme SSDs and a GeForce GTX 970 G1 Gaming GPU.

I don't see why not... that's a great idea!
    http://www.logitech.com/en-us/keyboa...d/devices/6355
    That's the one I have..used to have as I've officially ruined it now ^^

As a side note, latency is of no issue. It works on two batteries so one has to find a way to accommodate with that. The lifespan of the batteries is supposed to be three years with 2 millions keystrokes in an office environment.
    Then it has a an on/off button (linked to an on/off switch on the circuit board). It should allow to use 21 buttons (21 normal buttons but three can't be of any use within Traktor, and three that can be set up as any key).
    It has one led but the led is lit only when the device is switched to on to show your batteries' level (green/red).

So here I am with a 30€ device I've just destroyed almost. Ribbons are attached to two small boxes connected to the circuit board: my first issue is that I don't have any clue about how I could link the buttons to those small boxes (second issue is I cant' even decipher which key is linked to what). Shall I remove them? Any help would be more than welcome I must admit.

Went for a walk during my lunch break and scoped out a seemingly perfect numpad.

Has 19 key layout and a USB socket for a detachable USB cord. It also had Num Lock button with LED.

Thinking of getting it and building it with a 4x4 arcade button grid, use the additional 2 buttons for shift and deck switch and then put a button on the side wired to the Num Lock key along with the LED. Also planning on putting on 16 LEDs with the 4x4 grid.

That means the Num Lock button on the side with the LED is the "power on" function, with the mini-USB socket there to hook up the cord to. Then, the top will have the 4x4 grid and the 2 additional keys.

Sound plausable for a DIY numpad mod you think?

Take in mind that with a regular keypad you are not able to hold more than three keys at the same time, sometimes only 2. This is perfect for cue points but don't expect to use effects or instant gratification on it.

Didn't realise that. Is there any easy ways around that?

What about using a numpad and Xbox wired gampad inside the unit. Then using the numpad as a 4x4 for cue points and the gampad as a grid for effects/instant grat?

I can use the earlier suggestion of putting a USB hub inside the unit, plugging the numpad and gamepad into it and then feeding the USB hub's cable out as the connector to the laptop. Would that work as I assume gamepad controller allow multiple buttons at the same time.

Anyone know how many buttons and analogues you get on the Xbox 360 wired controllers PCB?

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast