Build Log} DIY Midi Mixer/Controller {x8-Arcade
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Tech Mentor

Default Build Log} DIY Midi Mixer/Controller {x8-Arcade

I've been contemplating building a controller for a while now, and with watching and reading on other peoples build log's it encouraged me to move forward with my ideas. So the way my idea started is because I have an extra fully functional Lpd8 board, and I was thinking if it would possible to do an arcade mod with it. So I posted a thread on asking if anyone knew if it could be done, AND it very much so can be. So with that great news it got me thinking that I could do this and some how incorporate my M-Audio X-Session Pro that is also collecting dust. So I came up with the idea plan above. I wouldn't be adding anything really other then the arcade buttons and casing, It would just be me more so rearranging things to my liking.

Heres a look at what I'm using:

(not this exact hub, but one similar)

:eek:

Now the tricky part for me is how to go about removing the knob pots and faders rearranging and then adding wire to connect em back to the board(s).
    So I'm kinda relying on you guys to dump some more knowledge on me, on what is the best way to go about doing this. Thanks in advance.
    MBP 2.4 Ghz Intel Core Duo 4GB RAM | VCI-100 SE FW1.4 | MidiFighter | LPD8 | X-session Pro | Launch Pad | MPD24 | Radium 49e
    Traktor Scratch Pro 2.0.3 | Ableton Suite 8 | Mixed In Key

Blog | SoundCloud 1 | Soundcloud 2 | Mix Cloud |Like

Tech Mentor

Nice! are u going to use the x-session as like a base and build on top of it?
    Equipment------
    --HP Dv6T Select Editon. i5 6gb DDR3, backlit keys and touchscreen.

Tech Mentor

Kinda something like that, Im gonna have both the xsession and lpd8 boards cased in there using them as they normally would (just rearranged some how lol) hooked up to a usb hub. Idk, if you can understand how for what im explaining lol but it makes sense in my head lol
    MBP 2.4 Ghz Intel Core Duo 4GB RAM | VCI-100 SE FW1.4 | MidiFighter | LPD8 | X-session Pro | Launch Pad | MPD24 | Radium 49e

Tech Mentor

Also, does anyone have any recommendations for enclosures?

I've seen these on the forums, but they seem to small for what im doing?
    (Maybe I'm reading the measurements wrong?)
    Last edited by -AyeAreTee; 04-13-2011 at 05:02 PM.

Keep a look out for old faulty mixers on Ebay and the like. Sometimes you can pick them up for next to nothing and strip out all the internal wiring etc.

Tech Guru

you're looking at a custom top and enclosure and re-wiring everything. totally doable.

the tricky part about the X-Session Pro is the PCB. everything is soldered directly onto the board so there is very little room to add anything onto it. i didn't feel it was worth the hassle to de-solder everything (the 6 knobs, 4 faders, crossfader, and 10 tactile buttons) and resolder new ones, but it can definitely be done.

knowing this, you may want to reconsider the buttons you're using. you won't be able to preserve the 2 groups of tactile buttons on each side of the crossfader. you could go all arcade, or even some smaller momentary push buttons (found on eBay)...

i'm not attempting to discourage you, just advise you of the pitfalls i experienced when i started modding my XSP.

Tech Mentor

Quote Originally Posted by MiL0 View Post
    here's a video of the LPD8 circuit board... pretty easy to solder replacement faders/pots on to it:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8a7NU98fSMI
    thanks man, this is super helpful, can you link me to where i can pick some of those up?

pick some of what up?

these are the female breadboard jumpers I got: http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...=STRK:MEWNX:IT (just cut them in half and solder the wire onto the LPD8 pcb)

these are the 20k linear potentiometers I got: http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Linear-Potenti...item230f9ed357

the LPD8 and MPK Mini were private auctions on eBay.

Tech Mentor

Quote Originally Posted by ToOntown View Post
    you're looking at a custom top and enclosure and re-wiring everything. totally doable.

the tricky part about the X-Session Pro is the PCB. everything is soldered directly onto the board so there is very little room to add anything onto it. i didn't feel it was worth the hassle to de-solder everything (the 6 knobs, 4 faders, crossfader, and 10 tactile buttons) and resolder new ones, but it can definitely be done.

knowing this, you may want to reconsider the buttons you're using. you won't be able to preserve the 2 groups of tactile buttons on each side of the crossfader. you could go all arcade, or even some smaller momentary push buttons (found on eBay)...

i'm not attempting to discourage you, just advise you of the pitfalls i experienced when i started modding my XSP.
    Can i see some of you progress, ill be posting my progress within the next 2 weeks

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast