First DIY usable LED ring on the market? - Page 2
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

yeah 4 would be enough for 4 gain controls on each channel... you could probably make them multi functional too... use a button to change the encoder so that it works as a filter or something.

That looks cool.
    From a quick look-through, it looks quality enough in design and build.

It's a bit big though, so it might be a little difficult to stack them close together.

Does anyone see a price point or physical size listed on the site?
    I'd like to have a hand at playing with a few of them, but I can't really spot the price.
    Last edited by safefire; 02-17-2011 at 06:35 PM. Reason: Completely re-wrote
    Fixing stuff that isn't broken.

Tech Mentor

I couldnt find the exact dimentions either. one of the pictures with a knob on top is a 3/4" knob. that could give an idea.
    you're gonna need some space because of the LED ring, but space is good right?
    I almost never here someone complaining about space. more so about the lack of it.

I don't complain about space either
    I was just concerned about the space a few of these would take up inside a controller, is all.

so long as I can keep button space at around an inch, then it's good.
    Should work in width too, but I'm not too fond of how "tall" the board is.
    Fixing stuff that isn't broken.

here's another one:

http://top-up.so-buy.com/front/bin/p...ategory=336089

can't see any mention of prices though :/

edit: and another:

http://shop.conrad-uk.com/components...es/700608.html

quite expensive though...

edit2: aaaand another:

http://www.ledtronics.com/products/P...spx?WP=C91K162

much cheaper but min 100 quantity buy :/

Tech Convert

Hello everyone,

This is Mark from Mayhew Labs. We received a lot of website hits from this forum, so I thought I should register and chime in!

The dimensions are 38mm x 44mm (1.5" x 1.73").

The units are currently in manufacturing and will be available for sale sometime later this month, after we receive them and test them.

Let me know what other questions you have. We would like to make the LED Ring work with as many applications as possible, even if it is in future revisions.

We can also do custom versions. I'm working on a round-LED version for an individual who liked the idea but needed a different implementation.

Tech Mentor

Thanks for coming over and saying hi!

Awesome product btw, I wanted to do something similar for my work in progress controller, but when I realized the wiring involved I figured I'd wait until something comes on the market that fills that unique need...

I don't suppose you would be willing to offer an "engineering sample" to a few lucky (and poor) DIY'ers such as ourselves? pretty pretty please?

Tech Convert

I don't suppose you would be willing to offer an "engineering sample" to a few lucky (and poor) DIY'ers such as ourselves? pretty pretty please?
    Sure, we can do that! We would really appreciate it if those we supply samples to can post some photos, video, code, etc. of their progress or finished project for others to see how the LED Ring can be used.

Right now we only have 5 blue, 5 green, and 5 red units (manufacturing samples), so first come first serve!

email sales@mayhewlabs.com and let us know what you have in mind.

Tech Mentor

You rock! Email sent... May I also inquire as to what you intend on selling the finished units for?

Also, it would be seriously cool to see rgb's on there... though they are larger and you'd have triple the number of leds so routing the traces would be a bitch, but it may be possible... I have some neat ideas for rgb's

What about r/g's though? and extra 5925 should be all you'd need since they're spi they are easily chainable... it seems as though you should have plenty of room on the bottom layer to fit the extra traces... rotating r ext and the smd one 90 degrees clockwise should make enough room for the second shift register.

Heh I'm digressing... Thanks so much for your kindness, and your design... I haven't seen anything designed for this exact problem. There's lots of round led modules, but no complete units... until now

Tech Mentor

One quick question that just popped into my head... Are the 5925's capable of PWM by chance? I haven't worked with them yet (played with plenty of 595's, 4021's etc) and haven't had a chance to check the datasheet. I can see using PWM to display the value by brightness as opposed to individual leds being lit an PWM would be required for that.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast