6 analogues and 14 digital outputs - the £2 'midi brain' - Page 2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by MiL0 View Post
    anyone know what kind of potentiometers they use? I'm guessing 10k linear?
    That's what I used for the Leo Bodnar device, which is the same thing really - a game controller. I think I read somewhere on here that the size of the pot isn't too important, but the fact that it is linear is. I seem to remember someone saying 10 -100k will work, but 10k is the standard.

I can't find any of the post to quote it though.

anyone know what kind of potentiometers they use? I'm guessing 10k linear?
    Don't know... Get a multimeter and find out!
    Why buy something, when you can build it yourself for the double cost?

Check my project! DIY DJ Controller (gamepad PCB)
    http://www.djtechtools.com/forum/showthread.php?t=18627

Hey, I'm planning on making a custom controller myself, but i haven't decided about the brain yet. I believe that you don't have to buy a board but you can just rip one from something like an xbox controller.(this is an awesome post) The only thing is, I want a lot more knobs then 2 controllers offer. Is it possible to link 4 or even 5 or 6 to the first board? I'm really looking forward to start building mine.

thx in advance
    DJ SpeakerFreaker

Tech Guru

Quote Originally Posted by jessevdriel View Post
    Hey, I'm planning on making a custom controller myself, but i haven't decided about the brain yet. I believe that you don't have to buy a board but you can just rip one from something like an xbox controller.(this is an awesome post) The only thing is, I want a lot more knobs then 2 controllers offer. Is it possible to link 4 or even 5 or 6 to the first board? I'm really looking forward to start building mine.

thx in advance
    DJ SpeakerFreaker
    I'm not sure how you'd go about connecting them, but what i'd do would be to use a powered USB Hub inside the controller, with all the PCBs running through it, you could even use a hub with more inputs and have some spare.

Quote Originally Posted by Maxted View Post
    I'm not sure how you'd go about connecting them, but what i'd do would be to use a powered USB Hub inside the controller, with all the PCBs running through it, you could even use a hub with more inputs and have some spare.
    Windows would likely support up to 4 xbox controllers at the same time (haven't checked but it could be more). A usb hub wouldn't be necessary since each xbox gamepad has a built in 2 port usb hub so they could all be daisychained off each other inside the midi controller case.

Windows would likely support up to 4 xbox controllers at the same time (haven't checked but it could be more). A usb hub wouldn't be necessary since each xbox gamepad has a built in 2 port usb hub so they could all be daisychained off each other inside the midi controller case.
    I understand but will the chaining increase the latency of it all or is there no noticeable difference? And can you make a guess at how much LEDs i can power from the linked brains?

btw im getting really excited about this method. Im goin to buy 4 controllers this weekend and start testing. Awesome post!

unsure about latency - it's definitely something that would need to be considered whilst testing.

LED's could be powered directly from the USB power but I think you're after a midi brain that allows you to control, via midi, when the LED's get activated, which is something that a USB gamepad (like the xbox pad) doesn't offer, unfortunately.

Quote Originally Posted by ctrld View Post
    confession time: I clicked on this thread only because my dirty mind made a connection between "6 analogues and 14 digitals" and "2 girls 1 cup".
    No matter what you post... It makes me happy.

Edit: me too
    Traktor/Itch: Xone Dx - MidiFighter x1
    Ableton: Livid Code - iPad - KP3
    Tech: Macbook Pro 17", intel i7, 8gb RAM, 500gb HD 7200RPM

Tech Wizard

i was wondering, i got a ps2 gamepad that has one broken joystick which makes it impossible to use. Could i clip the ps2 connector off and convert into usb and use that as a brain?
    My soundcloud(not the best mixes): http://soundcloud.com/mystical-bear/
    My Mixcloud: http://www.mixcloud.com/Einarbanani/

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast