*Build Log* DIY 4 Chennel MIDI Mixer from scratch - Page 2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Filing down a circular shaft evenly would be a total pain. However! Since the European site i found the alps potentiometers at was taking so long to respond I did a bit more browsing at mouser and found they pots i was looking for! and for way cheaper too! Anyways posted link in OP.

So I pretty much have all my external parts for the mixer now, minus 2 arcade buttons. I am going to finish the CAD drawing of the face place and hopefully by tomorrow night i will have it CNC water jet cut

Here's everything, the center detent alps pots on the right, my enclosure with the tentative layout, you can even see my plate of 1/8" Aluminum i'm going to use for the face plate in the back:

This is everything laid out basically how it is going to be, 8 Arcade buttons on the bottom faders, arcade buttons for PFL and some small black buttons for filter on and off.

Here is the aluminum enclosure i am using, right side up.

Tech Convert

Might I ask where you got the metal enclosure? I am building a controller too but can't find a suitable enclosure like yours. My topic:
    http://www.djtechtools.com/forum/showthread.php?t=17487

Quote Originally Posted by waterresistant View Post
    Might I ask where you got the metal enclosure? I am building a controller too but can't find a suitable enclosure like yours. My topic:
    http://www.djtechtools.com/forum/showthread.php?t=17487
    Here you are, my enclosure measures 14x10x3in but they have a pretty big selection, anyways knock yourself out

http://search.digikey.com/scripts/Dk...22&k=enclosure

And, best of luck on your project.

After a couple days worth of quality time with the drill press and coping saw i finally got everything cut. I got a couple quotes from the local machine shops on how much it would be to get cnc'd and it was anywhere from $250 to $350 sooo that was not happening. I used a coping saw to put the slits in for the faders, I will clean those up a little with a file before painting. Anyways here are the results. The Jig saw went little astray on me and i'm pretty sad about about the side that got a little messed up but it's not to bad.

Notice on the right side how it comes in just a tad too much.

Putting the holes on the back side that keep the pots from moving around was a real pain.

Bit late to mention this now but CNC work is almost always more expensive than going somewhere that does 'hole punching'. If you're designing an enclosure with lots of circle and square holes then these can usually be hole punched (if they don't have the right sized hole punch then they can use smaller hole punches to 'nibble' the hole to the correct size). It's only if you want unusual shaped holes that you'd need to go the CNC route.

I did not know this. How much would you estimate a project like mine would have been to get punched? I mean, there are always going to be more projects

Just a follow post in here, looks nice bro... Maybe a solution for me to build my BCR & MIDIfighter in 1 enclosure.
    RSTRCTD | twitter | facebook (RSTRCTD) facebook (LJ) | vimeo | pinterest | my studio | soundcloud (RSTRCTD)| soundcloud (LJ)
    -- CHECK our DEBUT (DEEP)HOUSE EP RELEASE ON BEATPORT "RSTRCTD - EXISTENCE" --

Quote Originally Posted by eataskdotcom View Post
    I did not know this. How much would you estimate a project like mine would have been to get punched? I mean, there are always going to be more projects
    I'm just about to get a quote from a South East UK company for a similar enclosure... I'm putting aside around $150 (which includes materials and setup costs)... more details soon (I'm planning a big DIY build with a blog to chart my progress)

Did you get a quote for waterjetting?

I got mine done that way and it only cost me £80 - I had to give them the cad file though..
    SC | MC

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast