Coming soon, to a Farmpad near you...
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Tech Mentor

Default Coming soon, to a Farmpad near you...

Hello all,

I have taken some time and coded both a cfg file for farmpad, and a traktor pro tsi to go with it. No big deal, but I would like to offer this to the people who are either bored with their padkontrols and own a mac, or to people who know about farmpad and just can't figure out how to use it. Below are just a few of the functions I plan on having just on scene 1. I believe this program allows for 64 scenes total! Anyhow, here's a pic of what I have so far...but you can remap it any way you like, however I am trying to go for a very nice workflow with this and I wouldn't mind sharing it with the community at all. Perhaps some padKONTROL owners would give me some feedback on my setup so far (I have so many ideas in my head, I just can't decide on which are the most practical of them...including making the bottom left two buttons toggle between FX on the kaoss pad, or having one toggle between another deck effect, and then that shift button being a roll function on the kaoss pad)

Now, I am doing this on farmpad, so be mindful of that. All of the buttons can be used for anything...in groups, as triggers/toggles, hold buttons... you name it. Anyhow...any feedback would be awesome. I have an idea of what I want, but what would YOU guys and gals like to see on such a controller? Maybe I can learn a few things from everybody's input...it might even persuade me one way or another as far as creating my workflow.

Right now, the top 4 pads are set up just like the midifighter. The bottom 8 are as well - for cues 1-8 with shift delete of course. The ''hold'' button on the pad kontrol toggles the 8 lower (hotcue) pads to become functional for a loop roll starting with 4 and all the way down to /32. The third row from the bottom also becomes Set loop 8 > Set loop 16 > Set loop 32 > Loop Active, respectively, in this hold mode. There are snap and quantize buttons on the pK, as well as a full screen button (going COMEPLETELY hands free from the MBP, with the exception of launching traktor, but I'm sure there's a way to do that too!)

The 4 vertical buttons next to the pads directly at the upper left are deck focus control with led feedback. A cool feature, is that when you select decks A and B, it stays in 2Dintmix mode. When you select decks C or D, it goes into 4dintmix mode,and back when you use A or B UNLESS you have the ''C&D'' button selected on the far left (see more about this later) So the pK will only control the active deck with whatever input you are using.....EXCEPT

...For the EQ section.
    There are two two columns of three rows of buttons that are pictured below, labeled HK,MK, and LK...well, I'm sure you can guess what that is.
    The left column controls the EQ Kills for deck A, while the second column controls the EQ Kills for deck B. When the ''C&D'' button is pressed, it acts as a shift key for the EQ kills. The deck A column now becomes the deck C column, and the deck B column becomes the deck D column. This ''C&D'' button is also a 4dintmix toggle button so when it is on, you are stuck within 4deck mode, despite which deck focus you selected (mentioned above)

Well that's all for now. I have a few more cooler FX features on this thing but I'm not sure I am going to stick with them just as of yet but...feel free to held me add to this by giving me some feedback, good or bad! I plan on finishing over the weekend, but it will be a long project I am sure because if my style changes...so will my setup.

(Please forgive any grammatical errors due to lack of sleep)
    Last edited by RT31784; 06-17-2010 at 11:41 PM. Reason: typos typose typoes..haha

Tech Wizard

My farmpad setup uses all 16 pads for hot-cues. 8 per deck. I also have another scene for 4 decks (4 cue points each). Using modifiers in traktor you can press "hold" and hit a pad to delete its cue. Very useful.

I have been messaging the farmpad developer to see if he will implement MIDI feedback for the LED's, because i know the hacked native mode of the padKontrol supports this. Or if he will send me the source i can do this myself. I want to be able to have a pad to be lit up if it has a cue assigned. That would be cool.

Tech Mentor

The LED feedback does work, just on the buttons, not the pads...unless I am missing something here.

Tech Wizard

Quote Originally Posted by RT31784 View Post
    The LED feedback does work, just on the buttons, not the pads...unless I am missing something here.
    Im talking about midi coming back from Traktor into the padKontrol and triggering LED's.

If so, what MIDI chanel/CC's are all the button LED's on then?

Tech Mentor

Yes, they absolutely do work with midi out... and only on the buttons, not pads. (As far as I have seen with the pads... Phaidon is pretty good with this sort of thing as well, and I am hoping he will chime in here some time and give some feedback as to whether or not he has gotten the LED's to be responsive on the pads.)

It is a combination of setting the buttons to trigger in the cfg, and to set LED out's for whatever you require and set it to that button. Traktor currently does not have a midi out "learn" feature, so you will have to know which controll # you are trying to assign.

Here is a tutorial from DJTT posted a week or two ago that might help if you're having troubles with LED's

http://www.djtechtools.com/2010/05/3...ds-in-traktor/

Rest assured... when I click on quantize or snap, or whatever I set it to for that matter, in traktor....the controls on the padKONTROL light up as well. So I can have all buttons lit, but if I deselect them on the traktor GUI, they are deselected on the pK. I will be posting my files here shortly. I just want to get it all working properly. I am going to add scenes 2 and 3 to include a section for the 16 pads to be decks A and B with all 8 cues for each on one set of pads...and then scene three will consist of 4 deck hotcues (of course only 4 each due to the number of pads available)

Any other ideas you all would like to see on this config?

C'mon folks... give me your wildest set ups you would like to see. I am learning more and more about midi programming every day and I wouldnd mind making a HUGE file to suit everybody's needs. (Possibly having a straight MF setup on one scene, my setups on another, the deckalized setup on another scene, as well as the two cue scenes I mentioned above.

Keep the ideas coming!!! You guys are great!

Tech Wizard

OKay. Have the rotary encoder scroll up and down items in the music browser. For some reason i cant get this working.

As for LED feedback, it does work, but if effectively useless on buttons you press - as doing so will cancel the led that has been turned on. I really really want this to work, to the point where im considering making my own program like farmpad.

Quote Originally Posted by Dups View Post
    I have been messaging the farmpad developer to see if he will implement MIDI feedback for the LED's, because i know the hacked native mode of the padKontrol supports this. Or if he will send me the source i can do this myself. I want to be able to have a pad to be lit up if it has a cue assigned. That would be cool.
    The problem is actually with traktors midi feedback, not farmpad. Farmpad does put the pk into native or sysex mode, and it does support midi feedback, but the cue lights are a special case. It will light the cue if you load the track to show what cues are available, but as soon as you hit the pad to trigger the hotcue, it will extinguish because traktor doesn't send another note on or cc to relight the cue, so the pad stays at 0. Bomes is the only way I've found to get around this. You have bomes hold a variable at 127 and basically have bomes resend all the states after you let go of the pad, so it lights back up.

Farmpad's developer was in the process of making it open source some time ago, don't know if it ever happened though.

@RT31784 do you know anything about PD programming. I've found some things that will trick the PK into native mode by sending sysex messages, but it would take Bomes or PD to convert the Hex code that midi is in into binary so the midi controls can be read. Since PD works on windows, I thought it might be possible to create a farmpad like setup that works on windows/osx/linux using pd, or maybe bomes, but I haven't been able to get sysex from the pk to bomes yet. This weekends project.

13" MacBook Pro 2.7 i7 w/dual Raid0 OWC SSDs - S4 - Ableton Live 8- Lemur- iPad 2

Tech Wizard

Quote Originally Posted by DJPhaidon View Post
    The problem is actually with traktors midi feedback, not farmpad. Farmpad does put the pk into native or sysex mode, and it does support midi feedback, but the cue lights are a special case. It will light the cue if you load the track to show what cues are available, but as soon as you hit the pad to trigger the hotcue, it will extinguish because traktor doesn't send another note on or cc to relight the cue, so the pad stays at 0. Bomes is the only way I've found to get around this. You have bomes hold a variable at 127 and basically have bomes resend all the states after you let go of the pad, so it lights back up.
    Hmm. Why should traktor have to send another message? I think the only reason its turns off is because farmpad lights up the LED's for you when you hit them (turning of an ON led in the process). This speculation is based upon the fact that by default native mode doesn't light LED's for you. Wouldn't be to hard to add a mode to stop lighting buttons for use when you hit them.

Tech Mentor

Well to get around this, I have set the pads to default off in the farmpad cfg file. So they are no longer set to trigger/toggle, they are whatever they are on the default cfg... switch I think it is? This is the only way I found to have the lights stay on when 'play' is activated...or if a loop is activated as well. However, in this scenario, if you change scenes, and then return to the current scene where the deck is still playing, the pk resets itself to the default state of scene one in farmpad...meaning that even though the deck A is still playing, the light will be switched off upon scene change.

@Phaidon - No, not too keen on that kind of programming. PD is similar to MAX/MSP, correct? Any yes...a multi platform version would be excellent. I do have extensive knowledge on a lot of computer/midi related issues so if you need any kind of help or would like to collab on that project, just send me a message and I would be glad to do so. I want this thing PERFECT and I don't care how long it takes to get there. I love my pK and with farmpad, I get 500x more enjoyment out of it and I wish the same for any other pK owners. So anybody that would be able to lend a helping hand....speak up! (I will be researching this PD when I arrive home this evening and give you my thoughts.)

I will donate countless time,sweat and tears to anyone who would be willing to tackle this project with me because I think it will open a whole new scenario of possibilities with the pK and for controllerism in general. Imagine having 4 pk's and being able to do ANYTHING you want to ANY deck with just a few simple buttons ? And that's just all on one scene!

p.s. Was also thinking of making a mod with a small hd screen attached to the pk displaying just the deck it is focusing on that way there is no need to keep going back and forth from pk to the mac screen....but that's a little ways down the road. I want to take care of this programming aspect first.

Does anybody have any ideas for the bottom two buttons under ''roll'' which I have set to ''loop'' section? I was thinking of making them instant fx chage buttons for the kaoss pad, but I'm not sure if there might be another useful feature I could implement instead.

Also thinking about making knob buttons 1 and 2 instant TTFX buttons to where when I press one, it would give it the vinyl slowdown technique...all in one button, with possibly the knobs being the slowdown speed.

-BUT FOR THE LIFE OF ME.... I can't get those darn PADs to stay lit without setting it to default in farmpad. I hit it once to turn it on and it lights up, but if I click stop in traktor, the button remains lit :\

Feedback people!! It is appreciated!!

Tech Mentor

Basically, I would like to have my own personal setups as scene one, a hotcue for deck a and b on scene two with a shift for decks c and d, and on scene 3 I would like to have 4 deck cues (only 4 of course). Any additional scenes will be requested from members of this forum....so if you have a setup you want to see on your padkontrol, let me know!!!!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast