Hardcore Eks XP5 modding - Page 4
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by hoxoboxo View Post
    What about replacing two buttons for a rotary encoder? I think you can then convert note on/off commands into cc singnal via a translator program. That would be cool for something like track search or effect parameters, since the controller has enough buttons.
    I've got 4 rotary encoders on the mixer, I bought them from Virtual Village on Ebay. They cost £10 for 10 encoders. They work quite well but I think I will have to put diodes on them to stop some very slight feedback.

I don't know if the XP10 would work with them, but I don't see why not if it is only putting out a standard 1 up/1 down message.

Tech Student

Hey man, any progress on this? I have two XP5s and that planned setup looks absolutely awesome.

I've got a little bit more done, but it's mostly on the metalwork side of things. I'm still waiting for the arcade buttons to come.

I've got to this stage on both controllers. The most difficult thing again, so far, has been cutting the slotted holes for the pitch fader. If I were to start again I'd look at using different boxes (as much as I love the aluminium ones). Plastic does seem to be much easier to work with but it's no where near as strong as these boxes. I'm hoping these last a long, long time.

*I'm also a little worried about the aluminium box and the touch sensitive wheel. I think if I touch the box it might stop the tune from playing as it thinks I'm touching the platter sensitive part.
    Last edited by Archies'bald; 06-16-2010 at 04:30 AM.

that's looking very impressive Archies'bald! How are you machining the metal? It looks completely badass!! I think you're right though - the 'spindle' shouldn't touch the aluminium edges on the case otherwise it'll cause you problems with the touch sensitivity. Can you insulate the edges or make the hole bigger?

This is what I'm currently working on:

I'm trying to attach a 'vinyl' cdr on to the touch sensitive platters (just like djDaB has done). I think I'm going to need to use two more, much smaller, bolts and nuts for each deck to hold the vinyl in place on the platters. This part of the project is surprisingly harder than I first thought... you got any ideas?

Pilot hole and self tapping screws, rather than a bolt? Either that look at getting the bolt in from the underside and get some kind of decorative nut to screw in from the top.

All the work done on my unit has been done with a hand drill, centre punch, various drill bits and a milling tool. I wouldn't recommend using a milling tool with a hand drill. It's extremely difficult to control. I thought I would get away with using it as aluminium is a relatively soft metal, but I broke one bit and nearly ruined one of my boxes. Plastic is they way to go.

the trouble is, I don't want to interfere with the spindle potentiometer in any way... I think I'll need to use two small bolts and attach the cdr with bolts on either side of the spindle, rather than one bolt through the centre.

Tech Student

what you've done so far is absolutely crazy man. How much will this end up costing you out of interest? The 7" screen can't be that cheap.

Buttons arrived yesterday, I'm quite happy with the look, but I'm thinking of putting a black acrylic sheet underneath the jog wheel, as I cant think of another way of stopping the touch sensitive part of the jog wheel intruding on the metal casing. I might put the sheet right across the unit and hide the milled out hole for the pitch fader.

After all that I will need to get my soldering iron out and spend a few hours connecting the buttons to the XP10 circuit board. Lots left still to do.

Tech Student

What's going to be controlling the screen btw? I reckon the acryllic would look good.

Quote Originally Posted by mikesena View Post
    What's going to be controlling the screen btw? I reckon the acryllic would look good.
    I think you have got me mixed up with Milo. I'm not putting a screen in my mod.

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast