Hardcore Eks XP5 modding - Page 2
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Rather than let this thread die, I'm going to post on it again and say that I'm seriously thinking of modding an xp10 so that it can control decks C & D.

Basically I'm thinking of is adding an LED lit latching push button which will tell me whether or not I'm using deck C or D. Then I will map the jog wheel, pitch fader and buttons to work exactly the same on each deck. That way I will have a mini Otus (as long as I map it correctly) for not even half the price of an Otus.

If I get really adventurous, I might even build a new casing and add a Midi Fighter type rack of buttons to go with the pitch fader and jog wheel. Who knows?

Thoughts?

Tech Mentor

Quote Originally Posted by Archies'bald View Post
    Rather than let this thread die, I'm going to post on it again and say that I'm seriously thinking of modding an xp10 so that it can control decks C & D.

Basically I'm thinking of is adding an LED lit latching push button which will tell me whether or not I'm using deck C or D. Then I will map the jog wheel, pitch fader and buttons to work exactly the same on each deck. That way I will have a mini Otus (as long as I map it correctly) for not even half the price of an Otus.

If I get really adventurous, I might even build a new casing and add a Midi Fighter type rack of buttons to go with the pitch fader and jog wheel. Who knows?

Thoughts?
    I vote whole new case and buttons, the xp buttons are so stiff.

Tech Mentor

can't really comment on how to do it but it is an awesome idea,

since I use a Nanopad for cuepoints the buttons don't bother me that much but LEDs would be so cool, do you have any idea how to integrate and power them?

Quote Originally Posted by derjay View Post
    can't really comment on how to do it but it is an awesome idea,

since I use a Nanopad for cuepoints the buttons don't bother me that much but LEDs would be so cool, do you have any idea how to integrate and power them?
    I've bought buttons like these for a previous project and they work quite well - link - They can be hard wired instead of using Traktor to light them. I wouldn't use these type of switches for cue point juggling, but they are perfect for reminding you that you have a shift button on or something along those lines.

As for wiring other led's look up Ean's tutorial 'Building a MIDI controller 101'. I prefer to do the wiring rather than programming software to get them to come on. I'm an electrician, so I'm quite hands on.
    Last edited by Archies'bald; 04-13-2010 at 04:47 PM.

Tech Mentor

I've bought buttons like these for a previous project and they work quite well - link - They can be hard wired instead of using Traktor to light them. I wouldn't use these type of switches for cue point juggling, but they are perfect for reminding you that you have a shift button on or something along those lines

exactly having a couple of lit modifier buttons (for example by sacrificing those tiny numbered ones on the top) would be great, especially since that would work without a midi send signal (wouldn`t you need an extra controller brain to implement that anyway?) since I don't know anything about the electronic side I just wondered whether you could wire these directly to the connections for the existing buttons without supplying an extra plus for power or anything.

The other thing I asked myself was, how many LEDs you could connect to the unit without running short of power, since the XPs are USB powered only and the soundcard should consume a fair amount already.

Quote Originally Posted by derjay View Post
    exactly having a couple of lit modifier buttons (for example by sacrificing those tiny numbered ones on the top) would be great, especially since that would work without a midi send signal (wouldn`t you need an extra controller brain to implement that anyway?) since I don't know anything about the electronic side I just wondered whether you could wire these directly to the connections for the existing buttons without supplying an extra plus for power or anything.

The other thing I asked myself was, how many LEDs you could connect to the unit without running short of power, since the XPs are USB powered only and the soundcard should consume a fair amount already.

All good questions that I don't really have answers to at the moment. If I do need a 5v line voltage, I reckon I will be able to take it direct from the usb input. I have a scratchamp that I use at the moment with an Allen and Heath Xone 1D, so I won't be using the soundcard in the XP10. I have opened up the XP10 and there are 4 connections for each switch; I will have to find out if it is possible to remove these switches and connect cables to the circuit board.

This will be a long term project (if I even start it at all) as I'm so busy with work and my 2 year old daughter. I will try and give any ideas or help to anyone in the mean time though.

anyone managed to get the xp10 jog wheels off yet?

i've just taken my apart and can't get the damn things off!

If you're going to buy a multimeter, go for one that includes the "continuity" feature with a beeper. It's a mode that beeps when it finds that two points are connected with a readout of how roughly how well they are connected.

Probably the single most used feature on mine, it great for checking that your solder joint worked or that things are hooked up as you expect (especially switches).

nevermind - got it all hacked apart now! (had to prise the touch wheel off with my fingers and then use a pair of pliers to undo the nut that kept the spindle attached to the chassis.

check the attachments below...

it looks like it'd be relatively easy to solder arcade buttons to the underside of the circuit board. I'm hoping you can leave the original buttons in place so it doesn't spoil anything (incase you want to put it back to how it was originally).

Thoughts?

Fascinating. They went to the trouble of scratching off the identifying marks on most of their ICs. They look like the same microprocessors we use in the Midifighter, especially when you have a standard 6-pin In System Programming (ISP) header right there. One micro is reading the keys, one is running the audio.

I'd love to know who makes that big black rotary encoder in the middle. Are there any identifying marks on it?

Replacing the switches looks pretty simple - you unsolder each switch and you'll find there's two contacts. One goes via a resistor to the square microcontroller down at the bottom right and one goes to a shared ground. Just insert your own switch to complete that gap. No resistors or diodes needed.

Practice desoldering on something else first - get the iron good and hot, practice melting solder fast by adding a bit of solder to it, practice solder sucking or using copper braid, or for the best results use a hot air system to melt all the contacts at the same time. The options:

http://www.epemag.wimborne.co.uk/desolderpix.htm

Given you have a basic solder sucker, the technique is to melt the solder quickly (so as not to damage the part and more importantly not to overheat the board) then in one motion to remove the iron and place the sucker over the entire pin, covering it completely, and suck the solder up through the hole in the PCB. Here's a video of someone doing that, skip to 5:35 to see the technique:

[youtube]93OOl2ib8CE[/youtube]

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast