the HRTBRKD APC40 Simple Controller
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Tech Mentor

Default the HRTBRKD APC40 Simple Controller

Well after creating the DJM900 controller map I have been hit up for a simple no nonsense APC40 map. So I just completed it. I'm at work so will post the TSI tonight. What I wanted to do is make a APC40 map that was intuitive. Like what you see is what you get and ready to be used and played out by anyone. I also wanted to be advanced enough for someone who uses Traktor to remix on the fly to have those option. So I spent my weekened mixing and remixing adding the most common effects and glitch effects that would assist in a good live performance. I'll also be posting a youtube video with some tuturials on how to use this TSI as a live remix station. Hope the picture is enough to get some interest, The TSI will be availible on 10/11/11 @ 9pm (pst)
    Last edited by hrtbrkd; 10-11-2011 at 03:10 PM.

The mapping does look quite interesting and to-the-point, but I have two questions:

1- Does the APC40 need to be in "dumb" mode for this to work properly?

2- The scene launch buttons only have three states: off, on, and blinking. How does one go about getting red and orange? ;D
    apc40 | ableton | ath-sj33
    deviantART | SoundCloud | facebook
    SKRILLEX IS THE BEST TECHNO DJ EVER!!! (╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Tech Mentor

The TSI is for just regular mode, You connect the APC make sure Track Select is set to master. I did thise cause if someone was going to use this to play out dumb mode would be a step that is just unessarry while playing live, especially if a crash occurred.

You are correct My VU should all be green. No red or orange availble. I edited this on pain and got lazy in changing the correct color. Other than that everything else is correctly colored.

Tech Mentor

the tsi. let me know of any issues. use in regular mode.

I feel you are the best person to ask as you've given pretty clear and comprehensive responses in other threads. I am using the tsi file you posted with my US version apc40. I understand Ableton a bit as I started out fooling with it before traktor.

- Did you make this tsi file by setting it to regular mode? (turn on, select master, open Traktor)

- What is the difference between dumb mode and regular mode? (meaning in more detail than 'the lights/banks go away')

- What are the banks people are talking about (what do they mean by 'bank')? I believe the only ones are the Track Selection row+master

- Each column resides in a different midi channel for columns 1-8. In dumb mode can you assign the Track Selection buttons midi values? What about in regular mode? Does this mean that you could have the knobs do different things if you used banks instead of getting rid of them? (the bottom right 8 connected to the Track Selection row).

- What exactly does Controller Range control? The "state" I believe. Does the Controller Range or the Midi Range control color for the pad/clilp buttons? (I believe Midi..)

- Do all the pad/clip buttons require outputs for the LEDs to work in dumb mode? Regular mode?

I know there are some videos/tutorials coming soon but I finished mapping my Mixtrack. The biggest thing I need to know is about dumb vs. regular mode, as I can figure things out further by looking at various tsi files ppl have uploaded. But I don't want to map in one setting to find out what I want to do doesn't work..

Quote Originally Posted by hrtbrkd View Post
    The TSI is for just regular mode, You connect the APC make sure Track Select is set to master. I did thise cause if someone was going to use this to play out dumb mode would be a step that is just unessarry while playing live, especially if a crash occurred.

You are correct My VU should all be green. No red or orange availble. I edited this on pain and got lazy in changing the correct color. Other than that everything else is correctly colored.
    I basically want to know LED output stuff. That's what I'm having trouble getting a response for. I tried even making one clip button a play/pause and copying the same values as another tsi and the light wouldn't go on unless held. I plan on posting my final mapping for others (after perfecting it for functionality). I may write a post in a new thread with a very comprehensive guideline as well but it looks like there are other more knowledgeable individuals like yourself.

Tech Mentor

- Did you make this tsi file by setting it to regular mode? (turn on, select master, open Traktor)

#Yes I created my mapping by just turning on the APC40 and Traktor. I did not use ableton at all.

- What is the difference between dumb mode and regular mode? (meaning in more detail than 'the lights/banks go away')

#You know no one ever told me the differance. All I understand is that by not using ableton. You can have multiple Templates running in Traktor. An example would be like how I use only Decks A and B on Bank 1 or Template 1, A shift modifier could be used to switch over to Decks C and D Mapped in Bank 2 or Template 2. Using the same buttons and knobs.

Using ableton to turn off all lights = Dumb Mode, You only have 1 (Bank/Template)
    Turning on APC40 and Connecting straight to Traktor = Regular Mode, 8 (Bank/Templates)

- What are the banks people are talking about (what do they mean by 'bank')? I believe the only ones are the Track Selection row+master

#Banks, Templates or whatever anyone else calls them are actions assigned to the same button or knob. To my knowlage the APC40 is capable of 8 total banks.

- Each column resides in a different midi channel for columns 1-8. In dumb mode can you assign the Track Selection buttons midi values? What about in regular mode? Does this mean that you could have the knobs do different things if you used banks instead of getting rid of them? (the bottom right 8 connected to the Track Selection row).

- What exactly does Controller Range control? The "state" I believe. Does the Controller Range or the Midi Range control color for the pad/clilp buttons? (I believe Midi..)

# To be exact. In the controller manager, when you create a midi out, you are now presented with options not availible in midi in.

Device Mappings
    Learn = Same as midi in (Channel / CC#)

Mapping Details
    Modifier Condition = Modifier you create. (I used no modifiers in my mapping)
    Type of Controller = LED
    Interaction = Output (*this tells Traktor to update APC LED) Assignment= Target or Deck

LED Options
    Controller Range = Min=0 Max=1 This means what pressing a button does. On or Off but not in the meaning of on light off light.
    Midi Range = Min=X Max=X
    If you used Min=3 Max=1, Then by default your LED will be red "ie on" when you press it it will turn green "ie off"

Replace X with any of these:
    Type of LED Functions.
    0=off,
    1=green,
    2=green blink,
    3=red,
    4=red blink,
    5=yellow,
    6=yellow blink,
    7-127=green,

For Halos use these:
    Type of LED Ring Functions
    0=off,
    1=Single,
    2=Volume Style,
    3=Pan Style,
    4-127=Single

- Do all the pad/clip buttons require outputs for the LEDs to work in dumb mode? Regular mode?

# Yes all will need an output to give you LED feedback. They will work if you don't use outputs but no LED feedback till you create them. Now here is the kicker. I placed a * to give a tip. Interaction = Output should do the trick but it doesn't always work since Traktor will not constantly update some instructions. So you have to add in a SEND MONITOR STATE command to fix that issue.

Please referance my APC40 post for resources additional help.

http://www.djtechtools.com/forum/showthread.php?t=38782
    Last edited by hrtbrkd; 11-15-2011 at 02:51 AM.

I appreciate the response. I spent the last few hours getting started. I deleted the few mappings I had and started from dumb mode.
    Perhaps the mappings will also work in regular, but I found that double clicking D#6 and A#3 were necessary to change the modifier value (instead of single click). I also experienced similar issues with clip buttons/knobs. Dumb mode allows you to have your own perfect customization without routing around the problem. Usually Ableton can be opened and closed in less than a minute for me. Not a huge issue.

Currently the problems I'm having the LED lighting/flashing of the clip buttons in column 9 and rows 6 & 7. I mapped the outs to the 5x8 grid and I was able to discover the different colors/flashing modes, but for these other buttons I've only been able to get solid unflashing green. Are these buttons not capable of other colors? Out of curiosity are the bottom three rows (activation, solo cue, record) only capable of one color?

So my main issue has to do with finding the right Midi Range values. By setting both min and max to the same number it still doesn't seem to follow the supposed color/number relationships.

My last question has to do with actual DJing interface. Is there a way to create samples other than the looper that doesn't require the deck a/b to actually loop? I'm thinking more in terms of Ableton, but it'd be awesome to set in and out points and simply load that to a slot without playing the loop. I am aware that slots can be loaded initially muted. I have yet to receive me newly shipped soundcard, but ideally I'd like to be able to cue/monitor my samples before playing them if need be.

Once again LOVE the response, though I did find out more by further searching. I'll upload my mappings l8r this week probably, though they're going to be quite bugged from a DJ perspective probably. I'm mapping almost every major function to something on the apc40 or my mixtrack. May have to switch things around before uploading.
    <(^_^)>

Holy Shit dude!

Thats fucking comprehensive.....more so than I have seen on here.

CHEERS!

I have the APC80 and use it in dumb mode with an adjusted\modified Derders Maps.
    APC80:STR8-100's+Ortofon Concorde Scratch\Electro:ButterRugz:TSP2-NI Audio4DJ:Xone22+Innofader:MacBook Pro 15"
    www.soundcloud.com/djsarasin
    www.youtube.com/adriansarasin

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast