How to stay updated with music - Page 2
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Tech Student

Thank you for your answers they helped me a little... but what I really meant to say was: How do you discover new music? For example soon I will have a gig and they listen only to commercial music and I don't have anything commercial.... and I was curious to know where I could find some commercial tracks.

Quote Originally Posted by drag0s View Post
    Thank you for your answers they helped me a little... but what I really meant to say was: How do you discover new music? For example soon I will have a gig and they listen only to commercial music and I don't have anything commercial.... and I was curious to know where I could find some commercial tracks.
    Check and keep up to date on your popular local radio stations top 100

Tech Guru

And try to search some mixes of the TOP commercial music on your style, that way you have more fun playing something that is good to you and your audience.

Tech Guru

Quote Originally Posted by LanceBlaise View Post
    well he said he wants to know what's new, not what "dj so & so" thinks is hot or whatnot... so beatport is good to listen to new music, like in the olden ays when we had to walk into a record store and shuffle through hundreds of records to find one gem...
    yeah absolutely i see what you're saying, but if you read the ops post he said he doesn't find beatport to be helpful for what he wants to know - which lead me to believe that he's not so much after finding out what new releases are available but wants to know information about the different scenes and trends - which is why i suggested blogs,mailing lists and social networking sites over beatport... otherwise yeah beatport would be fine for keeping up to date with new releases if that's all he wants to know.

but then he went on to say he's looking for "commercial music" which puts things into perspective as to why beatport may have not been so helpful heheh.
    Last edited by wrong chris; 11-27-2009 at 10:13 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by LanceBlaise View Post
    like in the olden ays when we had to walk into a record store and shuffle through hundreds of records to find one gem...
    What's a record?
    </non-productive post>
    Monika.mhz - I do things. Also stuff.
    -------------------
    Read the F.A.Q!
    Articles: Streamline Your Laptop for Djs(Windows)

For me the artist/label bookmark feature at Beatport is an absolute godsend. It has kept me "up to date" and introduced me to SO much good stuff this year. Actually...its fuckin dangerous (seriously). If there just HAPPENS to be loads of great music out there at the time...it makes its way into my crate and then comes the spending.

Its a shame other shops havent taken notice of this revenue generating feature (while they're at it...lets hear it for a multi-crate feature....like the old days of vinyl shops...you know...the 'maybe pile' the 'listen again pile' the 'buy pile' etc)

Anyway for me this helps A LOT! Other than that if you are passionate about music then you are always chasing it. Always listening to your favorite DJ/Artist's podcast, visiting their websites and paying attention. Interviews also help me a lot (Artists mention up-in-commers in them). Soundcloud browsing is also good...lots tracks by artists yet to be signed)

But again...not sure what you mean by "up to date"

Check out this article from beatportal (an other good way to stay in touch). It is an interesting take on staying "up to date"

http://www.beatportal.com/feed/item/...d-dance-music/
    http://soundcloud.com/rvltion909

...chasing beats through ghetto streets...

Tech Wizard

Quote Originally Posted by Ciar2001 View Post
    I buy what i like to be honest, that's it generally from assorted websites and pick those tunes that really strike a chord nothing more.
    Cosign that.

Well that a good question. It really depends on you and your style. If you play alot of pop stuff then I guess you have no choice but to keep up with whats the latest current hit. Honestly I think it up to the DJ to depcit what he or she feels is hot and current. I mean artist depend on the radio and DJs to make there music the new hot current thing. there no easy formula for this either way it requires time and a love for music. I have easily spent hours noodling around beatport for that tracks that strikes a chord in my soul.

My friends who have listen to me spin dont really call what i spin house,progressive, tech house. They refer to it as a DOWN3E4T set. I think its a combination of the music I play and how I blend,mash or mix that gives my set a characteristic sound.

So what I am trying to say is if the popular song based on downloads on beatports is what you looking for then look no further then the front page but if your trying to carve out your unique style and sound then explorer and find those titles you like and mix them up on your gear like your playing two instruments in a orchretra.

Yah probably went off topic on that one sorry.

Quote Originally Posted by Ciar2001 View Post
    I buy what i like to be honest, that's it generally from assorted websites and pick those tunes that really strike a chord nothing more.
    same here, some tracks i buy are a few years old in fact. tbh there's so much new stuff everyweek now (partly because of how easy it is for people to release their own tracks digitally) it's a mssive task keeping on top of what's new and what's big - so stopped caring and started buying stuff i like/fits with the sound i wanna play.

Win 7 / 2x Reloop Contour / Numark M6 /Traktor Pro 2.5
    SoundCloud

di.fm is a pretty decent radio website for listening to dj mixes. under the tab Listen Now! you can select the genre you want and then stream it on to your media player. the great part is each song is listed and scrolls in your player so all you have to do is to look up from the computer if a particular song strikes you while a mix is playing and make note of it. then try to download them on rapid library (or buy it on beatport).

commercial songs... i guess try edmaddicts.com

there are a ton of blogs that people maintain and update... just spend more time surfing on the internet for a good blog and bookmark them as you go

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast