Analog Hardware Synth or Komplete 10?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Analog Hardware Synth or Komplete 10?

I can't believe I didn't think to ask here. I recently made the switch to Ableton from Reason, bought the Push same time, and have been flying off the wheel making at least the loop portions of songs during lunch. I'm happy with everything thus far, but even with the 'top of the line' version of Ableton, I've been unhappy with the basslines, and I have been wanting to make my own drums like I did in Reason.

After doing some listening to stuff on the 'net, I started swooning over some hardware synths. I started counting my pennies and figured "If I get this album done and can sell 'x' beats to these folks asking for them, I'll let myself buy maybe the Moog Subphatty or a Minitaurus". Then I came across the DJTT article on what a bunch of more well known producers use and its almost all software, I keep seeing Massive and other Komplete synths being tossed around. I'm looking at the cost and the full Komplete is only a little more than a SubPhatty.

So I'm stuck, what's a better invest, getting Komplete or getting something like the SubPhatty (which most likely has a better resale market in a worst case scenerio)?
    - Unreall

Personally I think Komplete would give you a LOT more options for the price, especially if you don't have a lot of synths already. The Sub PHatty is nice, but I don't think I'd want it to be my only synth at first either.

Get Komplete - tons more options. You might want to get the regular, not ultimate version. Ultimate has a lot more effects and Kontakt libraries, which it sounds like you might not need at the moment.

Oh, and don't forget the Little/Slim Phatty when you go hardware - one was just discontinued and is going for pretty cheap these days. The Minitaur's nice, but it's only a bass machine. One of the phatty's will give you a bit more ground to cover.
    2 x Technics 1210 MKII, Pioneer-DJM 900 Nexus, Traktor Scratch Pro, NI F1,
    Ableton Live 9.6 Suite, Ableton Push, Studio One 3, Moog Sub37, Roland Alpha Juno 2, Korg MS-20 Mini, Yamaha TG-77, TR-8, Rhodes MKI Stage, Wurlitzer 200a, couple pedals, couple amps, lots of software and a freakin iPad

Plus Komplete comes with Monark, one of the best Minimoog emulations out IMO.

Thanks.
    I actually found out they make moogs not too far from me, so I was going to make a road trip (few hours drive) to the facility and take the tour, but that was dependent on getting a Sub Phatty or Komplete heh.
    - Unreall

Tech Mentor

What's your budget? There are other analog synths to choose from that won't kill your wallet. Or have a little more features. that could be interpreted to mean more versatile.

However, some other good options in the under $500 range are:

Microbrute:
    Not a moog but a bargain and sounds really aggressive. I love mine. Less than a minitaur but it's more expandable because it's eurorack compatible. Built in USB/midi to CV. Can be used as a MIDI controller an has a 64 step sequencer with eight sequence slots.

Korg volca keys:
    this synths sound is really impressive and definitely worth more than its pricetag of $150 and can play multiple notes at once. Built in sequencer,arpeggiator and delay. If you want to try out using an analog synth to see how it fits your workflow, this would be a good choice.

Korg volca bass:
    not quite as impressive as the volca keys but still sounds great with great price.

Novation bass station 2:
    Still monosynth but can save your settings.

Korg MS20:
    I love the sound of this synth. It's a classic sound like the Moog. If the patching was eurorack standard CV, i would of grabbed this in a instant, compared to my Microbrute. It's filter is top notch and can really move some air(great low end tones). However, in your case, the only extra feature (not based on opinion) compared to the minitaur is the keyboard that, AFAIK, can be used as a midi controller.

I hope you have fun at the Moog factory and post some pictures.
    Traktor Z2, Numark TTX1,Ableton Live 9/Push,Roland TR8,Eurorack modular
    Techno/Experimental

what specifically is your problem with your basslines? Your problem can be as simple as how your programming your patch or how you program your rhythms or processing or monitoring - if it's those things you're going to have the same problem no matter what you use

Komplete like a grand ain't it? I'd rather buy hardware, it's a better investment and especially if you buy used won't depreciate in value. If I had a grand to spend I'd pick up a used microbrute, an ensoniq esq, a korg esx, and a cheap compact behringer mixer - 1 mono synth, 1 poly, 1 drum machine/sampler/fx processor and a mixer to bring it all together into your laptop

Quote Originally Posted by diezdiazgiant View Post
    what specifically is your problem with your basslines? Your problem can be as simple as how your programming your patch or how you program your rhythms or processing or monitoring - if it's those things you're going to have the same problem no matter what you use

Komplete like a grand ain't it? I'd rather buy hardware, it's a better investment and especially if you buy used won't depreciate in value. If I had a grand to spend I'd pick up a used microbrute, an ensoniq esq, a korg esx, and a cheap compact behringer mixer - 1 mono synth, 1 poly, 1 drum machine/sampler/fx processor and a mixer to bring it all together into your laptop
    Ultimate's a grand. Standard is a lot cheaper, but you won't get a lot of Kontakt libraries or effects that come with Ultimate - you still get a ton for the money though.

I really don't see an analog synth making your basslines better though. If you're struggling getting good basslines you like with software, hardware won't help you. Plus, the basslines you'll get from a hardware synth or two are still limited somewhat to the sounds available from that synth. With something like Komplete, you'll have a lot more soundcrafting capabilities.

The only reason to get into analog in your position is if you want that "analog sound" or your creativity is enhanced by hardware and twiddling with knobs.
    2 x Technics 1210 MKII, Pioneer-DJM 900 Nexus, Traktor Scratch Pro, NI F1,
    Ableton Live 9.6 Suite, Ableton Push, Studio One 3, Moog Sub37, Roland Alpha Juno 2, Korg MS-20 Mini, Yamaha TG-77, TR-8, Rhodes MKI Stage, Wurlitzer 200a, couple pedals, couple amps, lots of software and a freakin iPad

Don't understand how you can have a problem with Ableton when you can use Analog or Operator (and more) to create whatever sounds you want. Genuinely don't understand, am I missing the issue?

Quote Originally Posted by MalcolmDeXXX View Post
    Don't understand how you can have a problem with Ableton when you can use Analog or Operator (and more) to create whatever sounds you want. Genuinely don't understand, am I missing the issue?
    I agree. Hit some tutorials to work on what you already have or hunt for some 3rd party vst's (some are even free!). I'm 99% sure you could solve this with ZERO money involved.
    Erase. Stop. Start.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast