Teachig a workshop on digital djing - any advice? - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Quote Originally Posted by KS2 View Post
    Surely getting them interested is the main thing? Basic phrase/beat matching and eqing would be the best way to do that, no?
    Get them actually mixing two tracks together with help from yourself and they'll enjoy it miles more.
    If they are their they are already intested I would think. Even though DJ-ing is ALOT of theory, there are still a handful of basics that need to be taught. (I really think beatmatching is just about obsolete. It's a great skill to have, but once pioneer dropped in sync...game over)

maybe give some history...
    Last edited by keithace; 03-12-2013 at 11:27 PM.
    Weapons, not food, not homes, not shoes
    Not need, just feed the war cannibal animal

Alrighty I'm gonna revive this thread from the depths of long ago. I'm doing this again next Tuesday and I'd love any more tips you guys have. Anyone know any good short videos on the history of DJing or the like?
    Setup: Kontrol S2, Komplete Audio 6, Maschine Mikro Akai LPD 8, Akai Mpk49, Traktor 2, Ableton Suite 8.
    http://soundcloud.com/miishmash

How about if you start with counting the beats, bars and all that good stuff (1,2,3,4) and then move on to BPM and give a little explanation, beatmatching and different techniques, teach them how to make a mix flow and take you one step beyond... Then where to find banging tunes and then how you can go on to do gigs

Quote Originally Posted by Patch View Post
    Have a large glass of water and a wank. Problem solved.

Tech Wizard

Phrasing is most important, being able to hook te other song at the right moment is key. I'd use sync or matching bpms for a first try, just consider them trainingswheels that can be removed within the next lessons.

Tech Guru

Quote Originally Posted by johndavid View Post
    One hour is short but with good planning you could cover a lot in a short period of time.

1 - Musical structure ( which I find more important than just right into the rest of the technical stuff)
    2 - technical (beatmatch, eq etc)
    3 - advantages of digital djing (seeing as this is a course about the subject), cue points, looping, fx, teach them to be sensible and not overdo it
    4 - Building a "journey" through a dj set.
    +1 to all this.

"Musical Structure" should include some general information about 4/4 time, how to count beats, 8 measures to a phrase, etc.

For the "Technical", I would add something about digital music file formats. I would prepare a "handout" (pdf, webpage, etc) that talks about digital file formats, ID3 tagging, etc. There is a LOT of frustration to be avoided by learning to rip & tag music to start with. The recent DJTT article on tagging is a GREAT place to start.

http://www.djtechtools.com/2014/01/1...sic-libraries/

Somewhere between "Technical" and "Advantages of Digital" these are GREAT references.

All of Ean's "5 ways" videos are great in terms of foundation skills.

This is an example of a more "advanced" technique.

There are three metric cr@p loads of information on this channel. Pick a handful to share...

http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCr3_EE6O_eA71X2quaKvziw
    Denon X1600, NI X1 Mk1 & Mk2, MF Twister
    Kontrol S2, Maschine Mk1, APC 40
    Retired: VCI-100 Arcade (Signed #198/300))
    BFM 10x DR200 & 10x Titan 39

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12