USB3 (New Macbook) with Traktor S4
Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast
    Tech Student

Default USB3 (New Macbook) with Traktor S4

Hi All,

Just wondering what have been people's experience with using the Traktor S4 with a USB3 connection.

If not supported, are there any plans on future support?

Thanks.

Tech Student

definitely looks like the new MBP usb3.0 ports don't work prorerly atm

NI just update PC driver, latest from 07 june
    maybe they allready working on new Mac driver(or what it there calls ^^) to fix that

here the thread on NI forum with some comments of new MPB owners on there
    http://www.native-instruments.com/fo...d.php?t=169348
    Last edited by dex7aa; 06-15-2012 at 06:02 AM.

Tech Student

My understanding of this is that USB 3 is NOT backwards compatible in these areas and currently the advice from NI is not to buy any laptops that have only USB 3 connectivity (which means all the new macbooks)

Anyone have any further info on this?

There have been reported issues with using NI audio interfaces on USB3 ports. However, Ivy Bridge is the first chance to have USB3 as part of the Intel chipset, so problems with 3rd party chipsets does not necessarily mean that there will be problems with IB computers (which all the new Mac's are). If there are problems, then NI are going to have to fix them as you cannot buy an Apple laptop with USB2 at this point, but that won't help in the short term if it doesn't work.

DJTT Administrator del Ritmo padi_04's Avatar

Don't rush to buy one until NI has given an official statement on the matter.

iFixIt has torn down a new Air. Interesting things according to the teardown. The logic board still has a USB2 controller on it (SMSC USB251x) and the Intel PCH appears to be a custom part; iFixIt has no link, it's not listed with the standard Intel Ivy Bridge PCH parts, and googling the part number comes up with no hits. The PCH should be what's controlling the USB3 ports (no idea why there is a USB2 controller on the board), but if it's a non-standard part then USB3 working or not working on any other laptop will have nothing to do with whether it works on this laptop.

Tech Student

Just recieved answer from NI support team

We are in the process of testing the new MacBook models with our hardware
    products. We will update the compatibility information on our website when these
    tests are concluded. In the moment we cannot guarantee that the USB 3.0 ports of
    the new MacBooks are fully compatible with our hardware products.

Best regards
    Mark, Native Instruments Support Team

Tech Guru

Quote Originally Posted by dex7aa View Post
    Just recieved answer from NI support team
    I'm surprised by their answer. I woulda expected that they e-mailed you back w/ some generic response, that doesnt have anything to do w/ ur question, with a link to some page about laptop optimizations

just ordered a 2012 macbook air, fingers crossed that it will work with my A4 and my X1...will let y'all know how it fares..

Quote Originally Posted by manchild View Post
    I'm surprised by their answer. I woulda expected that they e-mailed you back w/ some generic response, that doesnt have anything to do w/ ur question, with a link to some page about laptop optimizations
    that is their new generic response for the issue...I also emailed them, specifically asking if their gear works with the new retina MBP and that's what I got.

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast