Controller vs CDJ's? - Page 3
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Tech Convert

Ok so my latest thinking is going for CDJ 900's + DJM350 Mixer.

I really like the record to USB function on the 350.... would this be a good enough companion to the 900's or should I be looking at something like DJM700?

I'll keep doing my research. :

I wouldn't waste my money on a DJM-350 or DJM-700. If you want a pioneer mixer just get a used djm-800 for cheaper than the price of a 700.
    Last edited by Xonetacular; 11-18-2011 at 08:37 AM.

Tech Wizard

I hope I can add some to your debate. I have (2) controllers and a CDJ400/mixer rig but I use an SL3 with it.

I started on the CDJs and thought very similar to you. One additional factor I used to decide on discreet components was that if a button or fader failed I wouldn't have to replace the whole controller.

Well even though I use my CDJ setup most, I don't think any of my original arguments held up. For one, depending on the size of USB memory stick and number of songs it takes quite a while on CDJ400s to recognize and be able to use them each time you plug it in. This may be significantly different with 900/2000 I have no idea but worth checking into if speed is your reasoning because I can boot my MBP faster by far.

I still like the flexibility of CDJs and if money isn't a huge issue and you purchase 900s or 2000s and say a Rane mixer with sound card you can easily add traktor or Serato to your options. Just make sure your computer has enough USB ports.

There is of course a whole lot more to say on this subject but most of what others are saying are all valid I just thought I would chime in on the speed of USB sticks.

Ultimately it's not that simple of a question and no matter what you get you will want some feature of something else and will inevitably purchase more gear. But that is part of the fun too I guess.

Xpozur

Looks as if youve chosen the CDJ route

Good choice.
    But, the pioneer 350 bundle sucks, BADLY. I know because i used to play on them regularly on a thursday night, the BPM and jog wheels on the 350's suck, the USBs take a decade to load, etc etc, the mixer, although the recording option is nice, i dont actually know how well it works though. the FX suck,

I could go on for days.
    IMO, CDJ900's and a DJM 800 mixer,

And i can guarantee you will not need to upgrade for a LONG time.

EDIT: Just looked up prices for shits and giggles, Pio 350 bundle is £1500

2x CDJ 900, £1k, pio 800, £700, Both used but in good nick, plus it isnt hard, or that expensive to get them fixed if these tanks do suddenly break

So for an extra £200 your getting probably a 200x better setup.
    Last edited by Cook; 11-18-2011 at 11:36 AM.
    DJM800 | 2xCDJ2000 | RMX1000 | Adidas HD25's
    2011 MBP | Traktor 2.6 | Kontrol S4 | Scratch Live | SL2
    Mac Pro | Ableton | Access Virus C | Maschine
    Facebook || Soundcloud || Twitter

Quote Originally Posted by DJXpoZur View Post
    Well even though I use my CDJ setup most, I don't think any of my original arguments held up. For one, depending on the size of USB memory stick and number of songs it takes quite a while on CDJ400s to recognize and be able to use them each time you plug it in. This may be significantly different with 900/2000 I have no idea but worth checking into if speed is your reasoning because I can boot my MBP faster by far.
    400s do take a long time with anything >2GB content

But the 900s and 2k's are literally a few seconds,
    The 2k's especially, booted my 16gb usb drive, probably with 10ish GB's of content on it, in a few seconds.
    DJM800 | 2xCDJ2000 | RMX1000 | Adidas HD25's
    2011 MBP | Traktor 2.6 | Kontrol S4 | Scratch Live | SL2
    Mac Pro | Ableton | Access Virus C | Maschine
    Facebook || Soundcloud || Twitter

As i've been through controllers, cdjs, and cdjs as controllers i'll try to help a bit.

So, here's my experience :

I started DJing on Traktor 3 LE with a Vestax VCI 100 like 1 and 1/2 year ago. I had fun, wasn't really good but it was the very beginning. Then jogwheel broke, and even after i sent it back to the shop so they fix it, still wasn't working. I was kinda forced to stop DJing for a while.
    So i guess my VCI was an exception, cause a lot of guys around here have no problems with them, but I don't have a good souvenir from that.

6 months after, i bough a Pionneer 350 kit, when it just came out. What was I looking for in CDJs ? Reliability. I was using USB sticks, and I was super confident in my gear, 100% sure it will never let me down, and with a laptop (even a mac), well, you're never 100% sure.

But then, 6 months after i wanted to take it to the next level and have more fun than just regular mixing. So I came back to controllerism with the Traktor 2 way with the CDJs 350 as MIDI controllers + a Kontrol X1.
    I still have that setup now.

What the use of a software provided me :
    - Easier and faster access to library
    - Perfect and instant loop
    - Good FX section (the DJM 350 FXs really suck, on both black and white firmwares, and they can only be applied on the master output...)
    - Waveforms (they are not needed but it's more comfortable and can help when you got 3+ decks running at the same time)

For bedroom DJing it's nice.

But as I start to play at more and more gigs, and i'm tired of bringing my CDJs each time (i don't want bad surprises, like having to do a mapping again, or re do any configuration settings etc. When i'm heading to play at a gig, i want to be focused on my music, not the technical aspects.)

That's why I plan on leaving MIDI control to go for Timecode system. So that i can move anywhere with my laptop, soundcard and headphones.
    You are just beginning at the moment, but unless you are from Qatar or i don't know, just think long term, because this is a pretty big investment you are just about to make.

Personally, as a beginner, I liked my 350. A bit too light (was suprising the first time, i don't know if all Pioneer CDJs are the same but the 350 and the 1000mk3 are really light). Of course the small jogwhell is not super comfortable but well, it's a 350.
    One thing to know is that if you didn't analyze your tracks with Rekordbox, CDJs are a bit wrong about tempo reading. For example it says 127.9 instead of 128. As you will learn beatmatching it's not a big deal, but this has an impact on the instant 4 beat loops that thus are not perfect.
    Also, about loops : the "loop divide" function really suck imo, it doesn't split the loop in two and in two again etc, but just does a weird thing (try to check on youtube i can't describe what it does with words ). You have to check that before buying them
    Even if i'm planning to buy 3 CDJ (900s or 2000s) in the future, I had a good experience as a beginner with the CDJ 350s.

I'm not as happy about the DJM 350 though. The quality and volume of the auxillary channel is not nice. The FX (only 4 and only on the master output) suck. Not to mention the lack of an XLR output. And another thing : you have 2 master output (both RCAs) but when you plug 2 (for example 1 for the speakers and 1 into the Mac for broadcasting or whatever), the volume is not as loud, like if the power was split between the 2 outputs. And that suck.
    The rare good things about this mixer :
    EQ are cool, complete kill on the 3. The USB recording is super nice, and the mixer feels solid.

I hope you enjoyed my life and you found some useful tips in that wall of text
    Last edited by dope; 11-18-2011 at 01:47 PM.

Tech Mentor

I'm torn on this very issue, I'd like to get a set of CDJ's as it would help me use my ears more as well as improve my standing from a "legitimacy" standpoint, but I have a huge problem paying that much money for something I consider to be functionally(though not culturally) obsolete, as well as take a huge hit in the number of features I have available to me, especially as I can manage to work most of the S4's features into my mixing if I'm feelin' it.

I just thought this was interesting and figured this would be the best thread to post it in. After watching these myself, I think I may go and pick up 2000s sometime in the "near" future.

It's a comparison between 900s n 2000s.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O0ssoNvI8F0

Quote Originally Posted by Hoodless View Post
    400s do take a long time with anything >2GB content

But the 900s and 2k's are literally a few seconds,
    The 2k's especially, booted my 16gb usb drive, probably with 10ish GB's of content on it, in a few seconds.
    Not true. You just need to put things in folders.

Quote Originally Posted by djshemeck View Post
    Another thing that you need to consider is resale value. Controllers go down in price much faster than CDJs so if you ever decide to sell you setup your will lose much more money on controllers than CDJs. Years ago I bough cdjs 800mk2 for 575 from guitar center new. I sold them 3 years later for 500 each because they went up in price. I sold my cdjs2000 for 100 dollars less than I bought them. I lost 200 on DDJ S1 and that was only 2 months after I got it. Imagine if you keep a controller for longer than a year. you wont be able to sell it because there will be new version of it. Pretty much is a total loss
    That's one thing to consider, but also keep in mind that nothing holds its resale value well except Pioneer's top 1 or 2 models.

I lost more money on my CDJ-200s than on the rest of the equipment that I've flipped combined…so far. The VCM-600–if it ever sells–might beat them.

Also, that's a ridiculously good price on 800mk2s. That experience was not typical, afaik.

Quote Originally Posted by Coldfuzion View Post
    a comparison between 900s n 2000s.
    2000 >> 900.

The 900s feel worse than a lot of cheap controllers. And it gets worse as you go further down the line.

The reason I don't own CDJs is that 2000s are the only ones worth buying, and I can't afford them.

As an alternative to buying overpriced 1200s and going DVS, I've seriously considered getting a DDJ-T1 for home, mapping them exactly like 2000s and a basic mixer would function, and just preparing everything in Traktor and Rekordbox…and just spinning with USB keys. The problem is that I'd be fucked if somewhere hasn't upgraded to new players, and I'd hate it every time I had to spin on 900s.

Side note: it really isn't fair that what matters on the DDJ-T1 feels better than anything Pioneer makes except the 2000 and djm-900.

Realistically, if you can afford CDJ-2000s and want to make a serious go of DJing, buy them. If not…I think that controllers work well, and if you can sell it, it'll work out. But, seriously, having a pair of 2000s and a nice mixer in your bedroom is overkill. And anything cheaper in the CDJ world–IMHO–isn't worth paying for.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast