Nanokontrol2 on Traktor2 (4decks+metronomes+browsing+loop recorder)|v0.5
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Tech Mentor

Default Nanokontrol2 on TP2 (full loaded mapping)|v0.6

Here's my first mapping done all by myself (I often slightly modify some existing mappings, but never did the whole thing by myself... 'till now^^

Here is a summary of what you'll control with this cheap controller mapping :
    • browsing track
    • loop controler
    • 2 Fx Unit (fully controlled)
    • 4 decks with loop control, 3band EQs fader (in a weird way see "my impressions" below) 3band EQs Killer...

Here's how the mapping works :
    ************************************************** ************************************************

Midi*IN:

1 Modifier: Cycle Led Off/Cycle Led On
    2 Browser layout+previous track/FX Unit 1 Deck C+A
    3 Browser layout+next track/FX Unit 1 Deck B+D
    4 Browser layout+page up/FX Unit 2 Deck C+A
    5 Browser layout+next down/FX Unit 1 Deck B+D
    6 Loop recorder*: define loop size /Fx Unit 1 Fx1 On/Off
    7 Loop recorder dry/Fx Unit 1 Fx2 On/Off
    8 Loop recorder wet/Fx Unit 1 Fx3 On/Off
    9 Loop recorder*: delete loop/Fx Unit 2 Fx1 On/Off
    10 Loop recorder*: play/pause loop/Fx Unit 2 Fx1 On/Off
    11 Loop recorder*: record loop/Fx Unit 2 Fx1 On/Off
    12 Filter
    13 Loop size/ Fx Unit 1 control : DeckC : Dry/wet | DeckA : Fx1amount | DeckB : Fx2 | DeckD : Fx3
    14 Load track+Return in mixer layout + play + loop set
    15 Play/pause(pause reset all Eqs to normal state)
    16 Loop On/off
    17 Volume
    18 Autorize 21 for High EQ/ High Kill
    19 Autorize 21 for Mid EQ/ Mid Kill
    20 Autorize 21 for Low EQ/ Low Kill
    21 Multi Eqs fader/ Fx unit2 control*DeckC : Dry/wet | DeckA:Fx1amount | DeckB:Fx2 | DeckD:Fx3

MIDI OUT*:
    1 Cycle On/Off*: Led ON/ Led Off
    4 Quantize Mode On*: Led ON
    5 Snap Mode On*: Led ON
    10 Loop recorded playing*: ON
    11 Recording*loop: Led ON
    14+15+16*: Playing track*: Vumeter
    14+15+16*: Playing loop (inverted vumeter)
    18*: Kill high Eq*: Led Off
    19*: Kill Mid Eq*: Led Off
    20*: Kill Low Eq*: Led Off

************************************************** ************************************************** *****

Changelog
    VERSION*(0,5) :
    First version, put the main functions together working, define ergonomy

VERSION*(0,6) :
    - Major Improvement : Two mods
    • Mod 1 : Browser, Loop Controler, 3 Bands EQs Fader
    • Mod 2 : Fx Control, 3 Bands EQs Killer
    - FX Mod : first shot
    - Improved browsing functions.

VERSION 0,7 :
    - Minor Version :
    - Vuemeter Led Issue partially solved,
    - EQs state reset when pausing the track
    - Creating a better mapping documentation
    ************************************************** ************************************************
    Future improvements :
    • IMPROVE FX ASSIGNATION...+Map 4 fx Unit
    • Fixing Bugs and working on something else...

My own Impressions :
    About the One Faders three band EQs : This part of the mapping is both the thing I like the most (I thought I can’t use three bands EQs at all in a four deck mapping and mapping it was realy challenging for me) and the most disturbing thing. While I was testing the mapping, I realized that some of my EQs routines were blown out by this unique fader thing... But in the other hand, it appears that I could do things I couldn’t do with three knobs and maybe it would let me develop nu specifical routines... We’ll see on the long run...

************************************************** ************************************************** **
    I also work two Akai llpd8 mappings :
    - One as an Fx Machine (presets, etc...) (still a workaround)
    - another as a complete two decks + sample decks controller(almost finished, except hotcues and LEDs).

I Need some documentation on AKAI LPD8 LEDs management (seems realy tricky), and your favorite FX presets

If you have any suggestion, asking, advices or remarqs, about my nankontrol2 mapping... you are welcome!!!

Regards, Pierre.
    Last edited by Just Friday; 11-06-2011 at 11:24 AM. Reason: New Mapping Version
    Just friday @ soundcloud| Samurai.fm | facebook
    Setup : Dual booted Alienware M11X : Ubuntu Studio : Mixxx 1.11 + ubuntustudio/Windows 7:Traktor pro 2+Reason
    Custom Mappings for this devices : Xone K2, Xone DB2, Technics mk2, Akai Ldp8, Midifighter Classic, Korg Nanokontrol 2, American Audio VMS4, Axiom 25, Kaossilator Pro

Tech Mentor

New version (the last before the mapping is completly over, I guess...)...It's stable, and has few issues... The next (and last, with four FX units) version will be released in few weeks. I start working seriously on the LDP8...
    Setup : Dual booted Alienware M11X : Ubuntu Studio : Mixxx 1.11 + ubuntustudio/Windows 7:Traktor pro 2+Reason
    Custom Mappings for this devices : Xone K2, Xone DB2, Technics mk2, Akai Ldp8, Midifighter Classic, Korg Nanokontrol 2, American Audio VMS4, Axiom 25, Kaossilator Pro

Quote Originally Posted by Just Friday View Post
    I Need some documentation on AKAI LPD8 LEDs management (seems realy tricky), and your favorite FX presets
    led's on the lpd8 can be a bit of a pain, i had to code around various issues for my midimasher. let me know if i can help with any info.

the biggest pain with the lpd8 is a pad's led will *always* turn off once you release the pad, even if traktor had sent the pad a message to turn it on. to work round that u need to send the lpd8 another midi message to turn it back on when u release.

the other issue that i can think of is while in PAD mode the lpd8 ignores any CC's and vice versa. so when u switch to CC mode the lpd8 will light up the pads exactly the same as the last time u were in CC mode - minus any midi messages that u may have sent to it since. nothing u can really do about that issue.
    11mba / 13mbp / tsp2 / live9 / audio10 / 2x reloop rp7000gold / 2x xdj1000 / 2x d2
    maschine mk2 / x1 mk2 / z1 / f1 / midifighter / lpd8 / 2x launchpad / launchkontrol xl
    Quote Originally Posted by derschaich
    "wohoo, i'm touched, turn on the FX"

Tech Mentor

Quote Originally Posted by zestoi View Post
    led's on the lpd8 can be a bit of a pain, i had to code around various issues for my midimasher. let me know if i can help with any info.
    Thanks a lot!!! I saw that it was realy a pain... That's why I asked some help ))

the other issue that i can think of is while in PAD mode the lpd8 ignores any CC's and vice versa. so when u switch to CC mode the lpd8 will light up the pads exactly the same as the last time u were in CC mode - minus any midi messages that u may have sent to it since. nothing u can really do about that issue.
    the biggest pain with the lpd8 is a pad's led will *always* turn off once you release the pad, even if traktor had sent the pad a message to turn it on. to work round that u need to send the lpd8 another midi message to turn it back on when u release.
    I have some idea about the "state" leds wich are not linked to an event but to a general output... so it works... as an exemple, I tought about map the playing state 0/1 with vumeter, inloop state with reversed vumeter, and adding modifier like a "playing deck A"... It makes it works...
    Of course, it won't work with everything, but I hope I could find enough modifiers to map everything.
    Do you think it's the good way to deal with this controler?

Furthermore, I plan to use the midifighter "instant gratification" adaptation for 2 ldp8 and map the more i can on 1 ldp8... I'll do my best to map the more I can... do you think it's possible (for exemple, mapping the combos on one button, and of course, I know I can't use the banking mode (( ) ?

Thanks a lot!!! I saw that it was realy a pain... That's why I asked some help ))

I have some idea about the "state" leds wich are not linked to an event but to a general output... so it works... as an exemple, I tought about map the playing state 0/1 with vumeter, inloop state with reversed vumeter, and adding modifier like a "playing deck A"... It makes it works...
    Of course, it won't work with everything, but I hope I could find enough modifiers to map everything.
    Do you think it's the good way to deal with this controler?
    make sense - if u have the pads flashing from the beatphase then makes no odds if it goes out when the pad is released as it will only be off for a second or less. cool idea

Furthermore, I plan to use the midifighter "instant gratification" adaptation for 2 ldp8 and map the more i can on 1 ldp8... I'll do my best to map the more I can... do you think it's possible (for exemple, mapping the combos on one button, and of course, I know I can't use the banking mode (( ) ?
    if you want to use instant grat on an lpd8 then u could just try my midimasher. it uses PAD+CC mode to give u the 4x4 grid of a midi fighter. the top row buttons tell u which bank u are in just like on a real midi fighter. in fact all it's doing is emulating the real midi fighter so u just use the normal instant grat tsi. the midimasher config name is lpd8_midifighter_4banks.lua

there's also this config http://midimasher.djism.com/lua/config/lpd8.lua that i created for the lpd8 that has a twitch style "slicer" when u are in CC mode. not 100% sure i haven't broken something that it needs to recently while doing more launchpad stuff.
    11mba / 13mbp / tsp2 / live9 / audio10 / 2x reloop rp7000gold / 2x xdj1000 / 2x d2
    maschine mk2 / x1 mk2 / z1 / f1 / midifighter / lpd8 / 2x launchpad / launchkontrol xl

Tech Mentor

make sense - if u have the pads flashing from the beatphase then makes no odds if it goes out when the pad is released as it will only be off for a second or less. cool idea
    Moreover, if you map some Out with AFL monitor Out, with a very low range (0.000000 / 0.100000, as an exemple), your led will be ON without blinking, but will be considered as a blinking one by the ldp8... I found it late yesterday... I'm gonna follow the track

if you want to use instant grat on an lpd8 then u could just try my midimasher. it uses PAD+CC mode to give u the 4x4 grid of a midi fighter. the top row buttons tell u which bank u are in just like on a real midi fighter. in fact all it's doing is emulating the real midi fighter so u just use the normal instant grat tsi. the midimasher config name is lpd8_midifighter_4banks.lua
    Man... That's what I dreamed of!!! I'm gonna take a close look at it
    I just wanted to see how I can map some instant grat functionnality, in order to add it to my all-in-one ldp8 mapping...
    Last edited by Just Friday; 11-07-2011 at 06:00 AM.

Man... That's what I dreamed of!!! I'm gonna take a close look at it
    I just wanted to see how I can map some instant grat functionnality, in order to add it to my all-in-one ldp8 mapping...
    cool one of the best things about midimasher when used with traktor is not having to use the nasty traktor controller editor at all.

it has a massive tsi and associated config that tells it what messages to send out to do different things in traktor.

like to create a toggle button to control the playing of deck 'a' you'd use something like this in your config file:

Code:
    toggle("lpd8", "1,0", 1, ON, OFF, "traktor", "play_a")
    and midimasher already has the fixes in to keep the button lit when u release etc ofc.

Tech Mentor

Unhappy

I didn't succed in making the midimasher work...

I followed the tutorial :
    loopmidi config,
    then traktor launch + double instant grat mapping load
    then traktor launch for the third time, then load the traktor.tsi mapping,
    then config (and here's where it's not clear for me... I did as can : the midimasher mappin MM to Traktor/Traktor to MM, the Midi fighter banks : MidiFighter 1 I/O)...

Of course I have tried with the midimasher last version, and here's what I obtain :

Code:
    midimasher: build 20111026
    #1: default.lua
    #2: launchpad.lua
    #3: lpd8.lua
    #4: lpd8_midifighter_4banks.lua
    #5: mpd18_midifighter_4banks.lua

select a config > 4

midi: scan devices...
    midi.in.0: LPD8
    midi.in.1: MM to trakor
    midi.in.2: Traktor to MM
    midi.in.3: MidiFighter 1 Input
    midi.in.4: MidiFighter 1 Output
    midi.in.5: MidiFighter 2 Input
    midi.in.6: MidiFighter 2 Output
    midi.out.0: Microsoft GS Wavetable Synth
    midi.out.1: LPD8
    midi.out.2: MM to trakor
    midi.out.3: Traktor to MM
    midi.out.4: MidiFighter 1 Input
    midi.out.5: MidiFighter 1 Output
    midi.out.6: MidiFighter 2 Input
    midi.out.7: MidiFighter 2 Output
    lua: register functions...
    lua: run embedded lua...
    loading: lib/startup.lua
    loading: config/lpd8_midifighter_4banks.lua
    traktor: open midi.in.2: Traktor to MM
    warning: no midi out device [MM to Traktor]
    loading: devices/traktor.lua
    loading: lib/traktor.lua
    lpd8: open midi.in.0: LPD8
    lpd8: open midi.out.1: LPD8
    loading: devices/lpd8.lua
    warning: no midi in device [MidiFighter1 Input]
    warning: no midi out device [MidiFighter1 Output]
    running... <ctrl>-<c> to quit.
    Obviously, something went wrong... but what???

midi: scan devices...
    midi.in.0: LPD8
    midi.in.1: MM to trakor
    midi.in.2: Traktor to MM
    midi.in.3: MidiFighter 1 Input
    midi.in.4: MidiFighter 1 Output
    midi.in.5: MidiFighter 2 Input
    midi.in.6: MidiFighter 2 Output
    traktor: open midi.in.2: Traktor to MM
    warning: no midi out device [MM to Traktor]
    loading: devices/traktor.lua
    loading: lib/traktor.lua
    lpd8: open midi.in.0: LPD8
    lpd8: open midi.out.1: LPD8
    loading: devices/lpd8.lua
    warning: no midi in device [MidiFighter1 Input]
    warning: no midi out device [MidiFighter1 Output]
    running... <ctrl>-<c> to quit.

Obviously, something went wrong... but what???
    the device names are case sensitive, so it didn't match. you just need to rename "MM to trakor" to "MM to Trakor" and same for the other one. it probably doesn't need to be case sensitive, so i'll add in that change to the next release.

similar issue for your virtual midifighter ports as you added a space with "MidiFighter 1 Input" where the code was looking for "MidiFighter1 Input"

i'll also fix that in the next release. it already matches on a device called "1-Launchpad" if you call the device "Launchpad" in the config (due to windows multiple device renaming) so i'll strip the spaces and convert to lower case before the final check.

renaming your loopMIDI ports should make it work tho.

hopefully soon this will be a mute point anyway (for virtual devices anyway) as i've been in contact with the authour of loopMIDI and hopefully he'll be giving me access to an interface that will allow midimasher to create/delete virtual ports on the fly.

Tech Mentor

Thanks a lot!!!
    It works in the midimasher, but after, i donno why, but there's still nothing...
    I launch Midimasher, everything seems ok, but after, nothing happens... I use the instant grat 1.0.3 tsi... I loaded it twice, etc...
    I don't understand...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast