Need solution for HD video
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Need solution for HD video

I am starting to do more video pieces to go alongside my articles and youtube tomfoolery. Any of you that saw my Trator Bible unboxing video will know how much the video quality sucked so I need to sort something out.

At the same time I want to get my wife a DSLR Camera (looking at maybe the Nikon D5000). So friends, here are my questions:

1. Will the Nikon D5000 deliver good quality video and sound?

2. Any suggestions on other DSLRs that someone can learn photography on? My wife is looking at taking classes.

3. Best places to get deals on cameras? Or do I just go to amazon?

4. Forgetting the Nikon for a minute, are there any webcam/USB video devices that I can get good results from that won't cost the earth? Most if not all of what I do will be within 10' of my laptop.

Thanks chaps.

SmiTTTen
    Beats By Dre is like audio flu for your balls.

You can pick up the Flipcams for pretty cheap right now and they do well with video. Keep in mind that you are limited to about an hour of record time and Cisco is killing the company.

http://www.theflip.com/en-us/ $80 gets you a 4GB model.

Been using Flip Camera for last 3 days at a fitness conference. Getting up to 90min recording time PO. It's asounding Smi7. Excellent quality, simple to use, easy to charge/upload via built in flip out (hence name) USB (3.0 compatible). If Cisco chokes, someone will pick this up. Brilliant gadget.
    356 reasons why

if you have plenty of light flip cams are ok for what they are and what they do. iphone 4 video is comparable too.

also, for their price, look at a gopro hd hero or a drift hd170 (we use both in our videos)... again plenty of light is preferable due to their small lens and sensor sizes.

the nikon d5000 is a decent camera, also look at the canon rebel range too. both the d5000 and rebel series camera do hd video as well as take great photos.

with all the camera's i've listed here, audio is pretty sub par. the nikon dslr you are looking at only has audio recording via the little on board mic, while the canon dslr's offer audio in connection allowing you to connect an external mic via 3.5mm jack. an external mic is almost a necessity.

the canon's also have a fairly active firmware hacking community.

also look at second hand video cameras like a canon hv20/hv30/hv40 (HDV - mini dv tape based) or something from canon's HF series or similar (AVCHD/MP4 - card based)

for buying cameras B&H photo always have pretty good deals/prices on cameras and accessories. also check out amazon and ebay... but i'd prob go B&H as they are quite reputable.

DJTT Infectious Moderator photojojo's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by josh@firestorm View Post
    canon
    This

Quote Originally Posted by josh@firestorm View Post
    B&H photo
    And this
    Chris Jennings FHP

Podcast - Soundcloud - Mixcloud - Beatport Charts - x

Why not Nikon? I've been eyeing the 5000 for a few weeks and heard many good things about it. HD video is another thing I'm interested in as well. Can't read reviews yet (at work) but IIRC Nikon had capability for external mic as well.

I got a D5000 myself. Love it!
    But do not, DO NOT get it for video!

No auto focus is a #%^%$&^. Whenever you focus manually you'll hear it in your footage.
    Step it up a bit and the D5100 will serve you just right.

For photography the D5000 is a good DSLR starter. I use mine with the 18 - 105mm kitlens and a 35mm prime.

NI Kontrol S2
    NI Traktor pro 2
    HD 25-1 II
    Behringer B1030A 5"

DJTT Infectious Moderator photojojo's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by space monkey View Post
    Why not Nikon? I've been eyeing the 5000 for a few weeks and heard many good things about it. HD video is another thing I'm interested in as well. Can't read reviews yet (at work) but IIRC Nikon had capability for external mic as well.
    Okay, I may be a huge Canon fanboy.

To me Canon is easier to learn on and the controls are exactly where I think they should be, which means i have to think less about what I want to do and can focus on composition. I learned on canon way back when we had to put film in the camera and Nikon ruled the pro roost though so that may be why I just know the cameras.

Today Canon's are on top and they aways seem to be one step ahead of Nikon. Although I hardly keep up with what's new in camera stuff anymore nowadays because it's not really my hobby, but my job.

When I'm asked about consumer level camera's like that though i always say that at the price level the camera's are pretty much the same and it's best to handle both of them and pick the one that makes the most sense to you.

I just looked at the Nikon spec's and it says video audio is built in mic and mono, that kills it for me. Regardless of which one you get if you get one with external mic capabilities you can get a cheap $30 lav mic and a $30 tripod and your a big step to turning your videos into professional quality.
    Chris Jennings FHP

Podcast - Soundcloud - Mixcloud - Beatport Charts - x

to get some video examples of all the cameras i listed, just go to vimeo.com and search for the camera model... i.e gopro hd, rebel xti, etc..

its a good way to preview how cameras perform in varying conditions

Tech Mentor

Let the bass CANON kick.

Get a canon t2i or t3i. They are super cheap, especially if you only buy the body. You can get a t2i and a prime lens 50. For 750.

The quality is amazing. Not only that but you can shoot in 24 frames or 60.

There is a hack firmware for it called magic lantern that turns off the auto gain and gives u a ton of awesome features.

Don't worry about autofocus. If you are using it for reviews you will be stationary anyway so you won't need to rack focus. And if your aperture isnt open super wide then you should have no problem getting things in focus.

Here is a video I shot and edited for fun. I just walked outside y house and started shooting handheld. I'm using the t2i.

[ame="http://vimeo.com/26478958"]Downtown LA // 5th on Vimeo[/ame]

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast