DJ Techtools S4 Bag (Review) - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

I thought you said you were gonna resell the bag. My mistake sorry man. Good review though. Desperate for one of these!!
    MacBook Pro, HD25's, Midi-Fighter Classic, Pioneer DDJ-RX , Rekordbox

Quote Originally Posted by kooper1980 View Post
    I thought you said you were gonna resell the bag. My mistake sorry man. Good review though. Desperate for one of these!!
    Hey kooper1980,

I said i bought (the S4) with intentions to resell, because i personally think the size is just a little too large for club DJing. That said, i need something stable that will do the job until something else catches my eye. I'm holding onto my gear until then. I still highly recommend this bag if you don't care for flight cases. But be sure to grab a decksaver as well to set your mind at ease.

-Kosta X

Tech Wizard

Quite a few people including the OP in this thread have stated their desire to see a photos of the DJTT S4 Bag holding a S4 equipped w/ Decksaver. I just picked up said Decksaver and will proceed to post the results ↓

What do you think price wise... is it more beneficial to purchase the S4 bag and a decksaver or to get the flight case? How much did that thur decksaver cost ya? I like the option to have my s4, midifighter, cables, etc. all in one bag, but i don't know if its worth it price wise versus the flightcase if I already have a backpack to carry additional stuff in.

If you already own another bag dedicated to accessories and are looking for the most secure transport for your S4 then I'd go with a flight case. The DJTT S4 bag (129 USD) and a decksaver (79.99 USD . . . Think JUNO sells it for 52.99 USD) will cost you a fair amount more than a NI flight case (169.99 USD). The flight cases are also in stock where as the S4 bags aren't atm.

I've never carried a loaded S4 flight case, but in comparison I'm assuming the S4 bag is relatively lighter. I can personally attest to how light yet sturdy Bumi made this carrier. Fully loaded it isn't noticeably heavy by any stretch of the imagination, and that is the main reason I purchased it.

Lastly, despite my satisfaction with the DJTT S4 bag I am in awe of how anyone possibly managed to fit a 17" Laptop, 2 Midifighters, X1 Controller, Mic, Cables, Headphones, Traktor Kontrol S4, and Crane stand into it. So in reality you're probably not sacrificing that much storage room by going with the flight case, and even if you are you make up for it in protection.

Both are great options and the awesome part is you can support DJTT buying either

Now I'll preface this by saying that I don't own the DJTT bag, at least not yet but... You mention the issue of the knobs/faders not being protected well because of pressure on them. However, doesn't the bag have padding on the knobs/faders and isn't the other side of that pouch the laptop carrying area? So you'll have a flat laptop pressing on foam onto the faders in terms of indirect contact? That doesn't exactly sound worrisome to me, but maybe my opinion would be different once I have a look at the bag in person.

As for the flightcase, make sure you read the reviews on it. Apparently the shelf on it is not securely lockable and I believe the edge is sharp? I'm vaguely remembering this from a youtube review I believe which I couldn't cite at the moment if I tried, but...

Also, the S4 is rather big as it is. A flightcase might be cool if you have a big stage to work with, but in a club booth it would add even more bulk to an already large controller. I'd take a bag over the flightcase any day.

Quote Originally Posted by keeb View Post
    You mention the issue of the knobs/faders not being protected well because of pressure on them. However, doesn't the bag have padding on the knobs/faders and isn't the other side of that pouch the laptop carrying area?
    hey keeb,

my main concern is protecting my gear to the max. to be honest the only concern you should have is the faders becoming damaged, not the knobs.

i actually had a tempo fader get bent during transport on my VCI-100 in the UDG Producer bag i own. luckily i just bent it back to place and it didn't snap on me. i bought a decksaver for my vestax so i would never have to worry about that happening ever again. and it did just that - that's why i highly recommend a decksaver for the S4 to avoid headaches, especially when it is a relatively cheap investment that will add maximum protection to your expensive S4 and its knobs/faders.

You still have the udg bag?? i will buy it.

Tech Student

Default what is your model number for your producer bag?

I ordered producer bag because you said it affords s4. but it is way too small.

I got that point, because I ordered small producer bag, U 9023.

So I try ordering large one, U9022. but according to dimension, it is not fit.

so which model you ordered?

Tech Student

So which model you ordered? U 9022?

because I ordered U 9023, small one and it never fit.

so I'm going to reorder U 9022 larger one but dimension doesn't look fit...

Quote Originally Posted by Kosta X View Post
    Hello all, just got my DJ Techtools S4 bag in the mail today. Figured i would share my thoughts.

*NOTE: I'm coming from a vestax VCI-100 setup, and have migrated to an NI S4 not too long ago. I might as well tell you from now that i love the S4's features, but the size (in regards to transporting the unit) is defintely my main gripe. I'm primarily a club DJ. more info about me here: http://kosta-x.com/wordpress A bag that i use in comparison in this review is the UDG producer bag.

On to the bag review:

I'm super excited that i no longer have to transport my S4 in the original box to gigs! Do i feel my controller & gear are protected? Yes and No.

While i feel the overall build of the bag is of high quality, my only area of concern about protection is the actual compartment for the controller. Inserting/Unloading the controller is not as easy compared to my UDG producer bag, where that opening for the controller is very large in comparison to the Techtools bag.

Also, I do not feel the faders/knobs on the S4 are well protected. The way that the bag is designed to be worn is over the shoulder style or with the carry handle. If worn shoulder style, pressure is applied from your leg/body into the bag. That pressure from the bag presses into the s4 and this is why i dont feel the faders are well protected, and might get damaged.

A simple fix? A decksaver for the S4? (assuming a decksaver on an S4 fits inside the compartment. Im thinking it will, but it will make the opening an even tighter fit than it already is. If anyone has both a decksaver for the s4 and the DJ Techtools S4 bag, please post pics in this thread)

Other thoughts:

The front zippered compartment's opening that houses the laptop, cables, & accessories feels a bit restricted because the zipper doesn't open up the same amount on both sides. Also, the bag does not carry as much gear as my UDG producer bag that has tons of compartments, in a smaller footprint.

Im a DJ who likes to carry everything in one bag. I like to have doubles of every cable, a spare soundcard & controller on hand if problems arise. you may find space issues as I did.

I prefer a bookbag style bag opposed to the over-the-shoulder style bags.

As some people in these forums have mentioned, the bag does not sit upright (freestanding). It leans over, especially when gear is loaded. My UDG producer bag does this occasionally when fully loaded, but not as easily as the S4 bag.

The overall build quality is very high, especially for a first go at a bag. When in comparison to my UDG producer bag, it rates as an "A-" while the UDG gets a rating of "A". This is to be expected though, as UDG has been making bags for a very long time.

Overall, very impressed - but these issues need to be addressed in future bag designs. I bought both the S4 & the DJ Techtools bag with intentions to resell, as personally I feel the controller is a bit of a pain to transport to club gigs due to it's larger size. *Note: I don't find space issues in DJ booths for my S4, i just feel the S4 is larger than necessary.

I give the bag an overall rating of:
    B-

-Kosta X

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12