DJ Techtools S4 Bag (Review)
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default DJ Techtools S4 Bag (Review)

Hello all, just got my DJ Techtools S4 bag in the mail today. Figured i would share my thoughts.

*NOTE: I'm coming from a vestax VCI-100 setup, and have migrated to an NI S4 not too long ago. I might as well tell you from now that i love the S4's features, but the size (in regards to transporting the unit) is defintely my main gripe. I'm primarily a club DJ. more info about me here: http://kosta-x.com/wordpress A bag that i use in comparison in this review is the UDG producer bag.

On to the bag review:

I'm super excited that i no longer have to transport my S4 in the original box to gigs! Do i feel my controller & gear are protected? Yes and No.

While i feel the overall build of the bag is of high quality, my only area of concern about protection is the actual compartment for the controller. Inserting/Unloading the controller is not as easy compared to my UDG producer bag, where that opening for the controller is very large in comparison to the Techtools bag.

Also, I do not feel the faders/knobs on the S4 are well protected. The way that the bag is designed to be worn is over the shoulder style or with the carry handle. If worn shoulder style, pressure is applied from your leg/body into the bag. That pressure from the bag presses into the s4 and this is why i dont feel the faders are well protected, and might get damaged.

A simple fix? A decksaver for the S4? (assuming a decksaver on an S4 fits inside the compartment. Im thinking it will, but it will make the opening an even tighter fit than it already is. If anyone has both a decksaver for the s4 and the DJ Techtools S4 bag, please post pics in this thread)

Other thoughts:

The front zippered compartment's opening that houses the laptop, cables, & accessories feels a bit restricted because the zipper doesn't open up the same amount on both sides. Also, the bag does not carry as much gear as my UDG producer bag that has tons of compartments, in a smaller footprint.

Im a DJ who likes to carry everything in one bag. I like to have doubles of every cable, a spare soundcard & controller on hand if problems arise. you may find space issues as I did.

I prefer a bookbag style bag opposed to the over-the-shoulder style bags.

As some people in these forums have mentioned, the bag does not sit upright (freestanding). It leans over, especially when gear is loaded. My UDG producer bag does this occasionally when fully loaded, but not as easily as the S4 bag.

The overall build quality is very high, especially for a first go at a bag. When in comparison to my UDG producer bag, it rates as an "A-" while the UDG gets a rating of "A". This is to be expected though, as UDG has been making bags for a very long time.

Overall, very impressed - but these issues need to be addressed in future bag designs. I bought both the S4 & the DJ Techtools bag with intentions to resell, as personally I feel the controller is a bit of a pain to transport to club gigs due to it's larger size. *Note: I don't find space issues in DJ booths for my S4, i just feel the S4 is larger than necessary.

I give the bag an overall rating of:
    B-

-Kosta X
    Last edited by Kosta X; 06-13-2011 at 09:39 PM. Reason: pics added

thanks.

i'm ordering this bag as well. taking the controller to gigs in its box is definitely getting old

Quote Originally Posted by Jason Cerna View Post
    thanks.

i'm ordering this bag as well. taking the controller to gigs in its box is definitely getting old
    I Feel your pain, mate. Showing up to gigs with the original box makes you look/feel like a rookie, and an easy target for thieves.

I updated my posting with pics.

thanks for the pics.

on my end, i'm not worried about the gear being stolen as i'm only taking my controller to our various residencies around town.

i just can't stand that damn box anymore and with this new bag, i would be able to finally stop using my old burton dj bag.

bag faults aside, i do prefer this over the flight case.

Tech Wizard

Thanks for posting this review, and for the informative feedback. We have been addressing these issues as well, and are making improvements for future models. This is our first production model and we are striving to make the best controller bags possible. We appreciate your support and hope that you enjoy the bag! : )

Quote Originally Posted by noelflava View Post
    We have been addressing these issues as well, and are making improvements for future models. This is our first production model and we are striving to make the best controller bags possible.
    Hey noelflava,

i found out a few days ago about the upcoming revisions for future production runs. I'm kinda bummed because i wasn't aware revisions were going to be made when i bought the bag, but I am happy to support DJTT and the Bumi Sehat foundation

If you need someone to give a solid review for the next production run or future products, i'd be more than happy to.

-Kosta X

Default DJTT S4 Bag w/ Decksaver

Quite a few people including the OP in this thread have stated their desire to see a photos of the DJTT S4 Bag holding a S4 equipped w/ Decksaver. I just picked up said Decksaver and will proceed to post the results ↓

Closed w/ S4 + Decksaver / 2 x 12' Audio Cables / 3 Outlet Power Strip / Flash Drive

Closed w/ S4 + Decksaver / 2 x 12' Audio Cables / 3 Outlet Power Strip / Flash Drive / 15" Laptop / TMA - 1 Headphones

As you can see the Decksaver certainly fits in the DJTT S4 Bag without much change to its profile. Tbh the Decksaver helps the S4 slide into this transport much easier than when inserting a bare unit imho.

Edit: Finally fixed with photos viewable in forum :P
    Last edited by Boogiepop; 06-15-2011 at 08:09 PM.

When will you be reselling your bag? I'd be interested as I'm desperate to get one before 24th july (need it for a trip to Ibiza) :-)
    MacBook Pro, HD25's, Midi-Fighter Classic, Pioneer DDJ-RX , Rekordbox

Quote Originally Posted by Boogiepop View Post

As you can see the Decksaver certainly fits in the DJTT S4 Bag without much change to its profile. Tbh the Decksaver helps the S4 slide into this transport much easier than when inserting a bare unit imho.

Thanks Boogiepop,

that's exactly what i wanted to hear/see. Decksaver order placed!

Quote Originally Posted by kooper1980 View Post
    When will you be reselling your bag? I'd be interested as I'm desperate to get one before 24th july (need it for a trip to Ibiza) :-)
    Hey Kooper1980,

I don't plan on selling my equipment anytime soon. I need a stable workhorse as I gig approx 1-2 times a week. As soon as something comes out that fills the void between the vestax vci-100 and the S4, i'll sell my S4, decksaver & bag

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast