how does one mix dubstep? - Page 2
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Well, I was going to do a good in depth description, but theory28 raped any mixing strategy I could have gone deep into. So, I will give you a short but sweet description of my thought processes when I mix dubstep; keep the crowd moving, keep the crowd consistent. What this means for me is that you want to keep your crowd dancing, and you want to keep the surprises out of the mix. The best way to keep the crowd dancing is to keep the music's energy very similar, slowly bumping it up (like making a set from ascending BPM's) when the maximum energy level that you want to reach is hit, don't bring it down too much too fast. Otherwise, it's all basic stuff, keep the volume of the new track low during the breakdown if it has a long intro (gold dust (flux remix)) . If it's short, it probably has a really quick and abrupt drop (Woo Boost) if it's average length (pro nails (rusko remix)) try to keep the frequency lower in the beginning of the intro and slowly increase up both the volume and frequency until the drop or pre drop breakdown. That's pretty much my strategy. Consistency with volume, frequency and energy.
    MacBook Pro 13" 8GB RAM | Traktor Kontrol S4 | 2x Technics 1200Mk5 TTs | Yamaha Motif ES8 | M-Audio Axiom Pro 49 Controller | M-Audio Audiophile AV 30/40 Speakers | Pioneer HDJ-2000 | MIDI Fighter |

http://soundcloud.com/fullkontrol

Quote Originally Posted by MrPopinjay View Post
    + D1 - midnight blues. That's a cool track. May have to go collect that.
    here (this is legit as far as i can tell, since it says HE gave them away):http://youdunknow.co.uk/2010/09/d1-d...tunes-for-you/

right click download then click save as. otherwise it might not work. and it might take a while to start

im surprised i found that link since i got these in October or early November lol
    Become a Fan, And View My Latest Mixes | DJTT Chatroom (FB)
    Quote Originally Posted by photojojo View Post
    If the pack of lions are in sync then they're not real lions so it doesn't count.

Tech Mentor

WOW, didn't expect this much help

will buy 5 tracks off beatport and try tomorrow..

how come some dubstep songs are either 70bpm or 140bpm?

if someone could list 5 that are the same bpm ill be sure to grab them
    First Mix, have a listen you know you want to
    http://soundcloud.com/mattybruce/spr...-daddy-mixtape

They are 140. People just think they are 70 for some reason.

What kind of dubstep are you after? It's a fairly diverse genre. To be honest you should be discovering and building your own collection dude.

Almost every dubstep track that I know is between 67.5 and 72.5 minimum bpm which is Halved, The only exception that I can think of is the Subfocus Remix of Hold on by Rusko which is either 180 or 170 BPM. After a little while you can tell what the bpm is, and you can also calculate it when you listen to the preview by counting the beats for 15 seconds and then multiplying the BP15seconds by 4 to get a minute. Otherwise, a 2.5 BPM difference isn't going to kill you as long as you sync up the BPM. Mixing dubstep is probably one of my favorite things to do to waste time and practice. I hope your future mixing goes well, have fun!
    MacBook Pro 13" 8GB RAM | Traktor Kontrol S4 | 2x Technics 1200Mk5 TTs | Yamaha Motif ES8 | M-Audio Axiom Pro 49 Controller | M-Audio Audiophile AV 30/40 Speakers | Pioneer HDJ-2000 | MIDI Fighter |

http://soundcloud.com/fullkontrol

Quote Originally Posted by Accidental-DJ View Post
    if someone could list 5 that are the same bpm ill be sure to grab them
    tbh, you'll have quite a hard time finding a dubstep track that's more than about 2bpm away from 140, so no problems there!

Quote Originally Posted by MrPopinjay View Post
    They are 140. People just think they are 70 for some reason.
    It's because the main drumbeat (ie the pattern of kicks and snares) is usually quite sparse and at half time (70bpm) while the bassline tends to drive a lot of dubstep songs at 140. Technically all are 140 (or thereabouts) although listening to the drums alone you might think otherwise.

Quote Originally Posted by Yep. View Post
    Almost every dubstep track that I know is between 67.5 and 72.5 minimum bpm which is Halved, The only exception that I can think of is the Subfocus Remix of Hold on by Rusko which is either 180 or 170 BPM.
    This is just me, but personally I wouldn't call anything at 170 odd bpm dubstep. It may have a wobble bassline, but in my eyes it's still Drum & Bass.
    TSP 2 | Serato DJ | Live 8 | MBP (SSD + HDD) | AIAIA TMA-1 Fool's Gold Edition | 1200 Mk2s | MidiFighter | KRK RP5
    Xone: DB4 | Pioneer CDJ-2000 Nexus
    DJTT FAQ | Read my guide to AUDIO CABLES

everytime someone mentions dubstep, somewhere in the world 10 puppies always die...

Quote Originally Posted by josh@firestorm View Post
    everytime someone mentions dubstep, somewhere in the world 10 puppies always die...
    What's dubstep?
    TSP 2 | Serato DJ | Live 8 | MBP (SSD + HDD) | AIAIA TMA-1 Fool's Gold Edition | 1200 Mk2s | MidiFighter | KRK RP5
    Xone: DB4 | Pioneer CDJ-2000 Nexus
    DJTT FAQ | Read my guide to AUDIO CABLES

Tech Mentor

Quote Originally Posted by djnesquigs View Post
    Awesome job theory!
    This might be the first time I ever took theory seriously in a thread. Lol.
    Live Gear : MacBook Pro 13" & 15" (depends which one I grab), Kontrol S4, Midi-Fighter, Shure SRH750DJ, Dedication.
    Quote Originally Posted by Karlos Santos View Post
    itajen just told Chilly to read the fucking manual... lol
    *takes hat off and bows to itajen*
    Be the change you want to see in the world.

Quote Originally Posted by itajeN View Post
    This might be the first time I ever took theory seriously in a thread. Lol.
    Same here xD

Random:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2xOh1...embedded#at=33
    Traktor/Itch: Xone Dx - MidiFighter x1
    Ableton: Livid Code - iPad - KP3
    Tech: Macbook Pro 17", intel i7, 8gb RAM, 500gb HD 7200RPM

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast