any blind mac djs here? - Page 3
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Threads like this make the saying my parents always told me feel true: "If there is a will, there is a way."

As JonathanBlake put it, this is truly humbling, and I am really glad you came to DJTT. I remember seeing Tango's original post (forwarded by B3nz0n8) over here and I would truly one day love to hear either (or both ) of you guys's mixes!

Welcome to the crew !

Tech Guru

Much respect, indeed!

Tango,
    I love the part where you tell to use your other senses to feel the audience and to know what your software is doing.
    I really think that we only push our senses to the max when we lose one of them.

I will try to mix with my eyes closed just to feel what you guys feel when playing

Quote Originally Posted by Tango 179 View Post
    I had to think on this one for a while, it is just second nature to me now, kind of like how I know I am in a hallway by hearing the airflow.

Speaking for myself, I cannot answer for Triple7 or Lance, I just know how my software is mapped. The hours of practice help to do this and its just like using a keyboard to type when you dont look at the keys.

Pushing Traktor to its limits and making mistakes is helpfull, that way I know the software limits and how to get out of a screwup real quick.

Reading the crowd is hard, but I havent had to much experience. It is all about using my other senses to tell me whats going on, feeling vibrations in the floor as people dance, listening to the crowd moving.

I could go on, I hope this sheds some light on your question.
    Fantastic! Good to know that if my vision ever goes*, I'll still be able to do what I love

*knock on wood

Tech Mentor

Quote Originally Posted by Coldfuzion View Post

I remember seeing Tango's original post (forwarded by B3nz0n8) over here and I would truly one day love to hear either (or both ) of you guys's mixes!
    Once I get all my gear together and practice with it for a while I will definatly share a mix or two. Might be a while though still looking for a job to pay for my gear...

Quote Originally Posted by V-Hoff
    Tango,
    I love the part where you tell to use your other senses to feel the audience and to know what your software is doing.
    I really think that we only push our senses to the max when we lose one of them.

I will try to mix with my eyes closed just to feel what you guys feel when playing
    Very true, I never knew just how strong my other senses were untill I lost my sight. Reading a crowd without sight is something else, though I am reading things when I am on the dancefloor and not in the booth. That will come in time I guess. BTW the white blind id cane gets me lots of attention when dancing.

Let me know how you do mixing with your eyes closed, I am interested in hearing your thoughts, or anyone else who tries to mix blindfolded.

Yeah.....I guess I could get away with DJing on my rig with my eyes closed....but thats cuz i can picture it. Already know what it looks like.

But what if you have never seen before.....that must be hectic.

You will most probably form your own picture of it in your mind after some use etc.

WOW....damn interesting thread this.
    APC80:STR8-100's+Ortofon Concorde Scratch\Electro:ButterRugz:TSP2-NI Audio4DJ:Xone22+Innofader:MacBook Pro 15"
    www.soundcloud.com/djsarasin
    www.youtube.com/adriansarasin

Tech Mentor

Quote Originally Posted by sarasin View Post
    Yeah.....I guess I could get away with DJing on my rig with my eyes closed....but thats cuz i can picture it. Already know what it looks like.

But what if you have never seen before.....that must be hectic.

You will most probably form your own picture of it in your mind after some use etc.

WOW....damn interesting thread this.
    You are dead on, I form a map of the things I use, a midi controller would be no different when it comes to forming the mental map. With practice I can form a fairly compleate mental image of a room or item fairly quickly. I must admit though it is not always easy or straight forward.

I am planning on putting small tacktile markers on my gear to note the most often used/important buttons to make them easy to find when in a rush.

If anyone has anyother questions feel free to ask, dont mind sharing my experiences.

You are dead on, I form a map of the things I use, a midi controller would be no different when it comes to forming the mental map. With practice I can form a fairly compleate mental image of a room or item fairly quickly. I must admit though it is not always easy or straight forward.

I am planning on putting small tacktile markers on my gear to note the most often used/important buttons to make them easy to find when in a rush.

If anyone has anyother questions feel free to ask, dont mind sharing my experiences.
    I have a redundant M-Audio X-Session Pro - would it be of any use to you? - I'll ship it to you. Pics/video please.

Tech Guru

Tango,

I know that a video would have no use for you, but can you - or better do you want - to ask a friend to film you mixing techniques?

That would be epic, it should even turn into a DJTT article, I know that would be trully inspiring for some DJs that are tired of playing and even better, maybe there are some blind people that would love to be a DJ but are demotivated to even start it.

Someone should write an article about this. Ean please???

Tech Mentor

Quote Originally Posted by JonathanBlake View Post
    I have a redundant M-Audio X-Session Pro - would it be of any use to you? - I'll ship it to you. Pics/video please.
    Awsome I love the generosity here. I will send you a pm.

Quote Originally Posted by V-Hoff
    Tango,

I know that a video would have no use for you, but can you - or better do you want - to ask a friend to film you mixing techniques?

That would be epic, it should even turn into a DJTT article, I know that would be trully inspiring for some DJs that are tired of playing and even better, maybe there are some blind people that would love to be a DJ but are demotivated to even start it.

Someone should write an article about this. Ean please???
    Interesting idea, I will see about putting a video together once I get my gear and have had some practice. Hmm an article on this, sounds like another interesting idea. I would be glad to help provide info for one.

Interesting idea, I will see about putting a video together once I get my gear and have had some practice. Hmm an article on this, sounds like another interesting idea. I would be glad to help provide info for one.
    i´m sure everyone would embrace the idea of an article!
    I'm just a girl, standing in front of a boy, asking him to love her.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123