when they recognise that you got what it takes to succeed
    and thats around the time that your idols become your rivals
    you make friends with Mike but gotta AI him for your survival
    damn, I swear sports and music are so synonomous
    ’cause we wanna be them and they wanna be us
    yeah so on behalf of the demanded
    and the entertainment that you take for granted
    you could thank me now...

I have not been DJing a very long time - however the one thing I know I have is good track selection. I know I can hear a tune and know when it's a good song and when the right time is to play it. To me I know I am no where even CLOSE to being a technically good DJ. However, I do know I can play the right song at the right time. The best way to learn is to put yourself out there - and that is what I chose to do. I can mix two tracks together, and now I am doing it on my schools radio show so I can get critique from my friends at school and from DJTT.

The reason I want to start DJing clubs 4 months after starting is also because I know I have personally invested the time, friends have suggested I DJ at clubs, few forum members as well, and it's the next logical step.

If DJ A can pick better songs out then DJ B (which takes 0 technical DJing skill) - I think DJ A deserves a shot. Personally since starting to DJ I have paid / can hear and distinguish transitions and what the DJs did to transition - however most regular people don't.

People simply want to listen to good tunes.

Don't get me wrong, i'm not bashing on anyone - i'm simply saying everyone deserves a shot - if you were to shy or chose not to do anything for the three years until you first got your gig short of just practice at home that's completely your call. I just don't think it's anyone's place at all to say "hey since you just started djing go to your bedroom and play for the next 3 years like all of us old schoolers did it."

Iv been bedrooming for a year and a half, gigs are a goal to work towards, im only starting to consider looking for a shot now. Nobody wants to make a fool of themselves!

Tech Guru

You have to face the fact that some people just want to get in to clubs for free, chat up some girls and maybe get some drinks/bit of cash out of it, it's not a lifestyle choice like it is for everybody on forums like these, it's simply a hobby with perks.

No i don't agree with that attiude, and i really hate the fact a lot of these people don't know their music (Dj rule No.1), but they aren't going anywhere some dick will still give them a gig because they will play for free.

Tech Guru

again, worry less about what other people do. focus on your gigs, your music.

and coldfuzion, dont ever quote drake

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hxujFadk2KU
    Baked Chicken | Brown Rice | Asparagus | Apple Juice | Snack Wells | Pretzel Chips | Lots of Water

Quote Originally Posted by xtianw View Post

and coldfuzion, dont ever quote drake
    But, but, ... "I JUS WANNA BE SUCCESSFUL!"

Sorry sorry had to!

I'll post my response to the thread when I get home from the radio station thing.

Quote Originally Posted by Coldfuzion View Post
    I have not been DJing a very long time - however the one thing I know I have is good track selection. I know I can hear a tune and know when it's a good song and when the right time is to play it. To me I know I am no where even CLOSE to being a technically good DJ. However, I do know I can play the right song at the right time. The best way to learn is to put yourself out there - and that is what I chose to do. I can mix two tracks together, and now I am doing it on my schools radio show so I can get critique from my friends at school and from DJTT.
    There is nothing wrong with not being technically good at DJ'n when i started this topic i meant the fact that people automatically want to try and get into clubs to DJ before they even know simple basics like how to count beats, when to start beatmatching and other simple minds. Me myself i am not a technical DJ, infact im far from it, i feel embarrassed playing alongside some of my mates sometimes. BUT i know that when i do go behind the decks i can select tunes and deliver!

The reason I want to start DJing clubs 4 months after starting is also because I know I have personally invested the time, friends have suggested I DJ at clubs, few forum members as well, and it's the next logical step.
    If its the next logical step for you and you feel confident go for it, as i said before. I don't disagree with people that haven't been DJ'n for long to go for clubs, i just don't see newbies obsession with wanting to be known. It will happen in time. Take the time and make an impact!

If DJ A can pick better songs out then DJ B (which takes 0 technical DJing skill) - I think DJ A deserves a shot. Personally since starting to DJ I have paid / can hear and distinguish transitions and what the DJs did to transition - however most regular people don't.

People simply want to listen to good tunes.
    Regular clubbers never notice transitions its a basic fact unless they are into there good music and DJ sets and stuff.

Don't get me wrong, i'm not bashing on anyone - i'm simply saying everyone deserves a shot - if you were to shy or chose not to do anything for the three years until you first got your gig short of just practice at home that's completely your call. I just don't think it's anyone's place at all to say "hey since you just started djing go to your bedroom and play for the next 3 years like all of us old schoolers did it."
    Your correct, everybody does deserve a shot. And shy people will never be found if they don't speak out or attempt things.

Also Im not saying that everybody has to slave behind turntables for years in bedrooms mastering techniques like most of the olds choolers (myself included) technology makes everything so much easier.
    All i want newbies to see is that they should wait time to get into clubs and when they do get pretty damn good and get a gig they make a brilliant impact instead of what i have seen when people have done a gig and it all went to rat shit due to bags of nerves (which is obvious) and lack of practicing + confidence.

Quote Bruno Mars!

Easy come, easy go
    That's just how you live, oh
    Take, take, take it all,
    But you never give
    I’d catch a grenade for ya (yeah, yeah, yeah)
    Throw my hand on a blade for ya (yeah, yeah, yeah)
    I’d jump in front of a train for ya (yeah, yeah , yeah)
    You know I'd do anything for ya (yeah, yeah, yeah)
    Controllerist: Think different | SoundCloud | MixCloud | Twitter |

Quote Originally Posted by xtianw View Post
    again, worry less about what other people do. focus on your gigs, your music.
    Not worried about what other people do, i just posted out of curiosity and thought it could be an interesting topic apart from the 'i want the bitches' comments that often appear in real life situations lol.

it took me forever to get my club status. I started djing back in 93, mostly back yard parties and mobile dj. I did enter a lot of dj battle and did pretty good. My first break at a real club was Jan 2005. And Im still learning and paying my dues and im always looking at bettering myself at my craft.
    Controllerist: Think different | SoundCloud | MixCloud | Twitter |

There are many reasons beign #1m just like Padi said automatically in the first response, "bitches". Also free passes and drinks, VIP, get to hangout with the top DJ's...

What I really find incredible is how the dj's who are married do to not fall into the "dj groupie" temptation.:eek: I mean, most of the people I know who are married would find it extremely difficult to remain focused and not pay attention to all the opportunities and situations they can take advantage of. I understand those who do it for a living since it's not recommended to shit where you eat but for those who do it as a hobby? It's kinda like being on a strict healthy diet and parade of sexy hotdogs, drunk pizzas and anything-goes hamburgers just dancing in front of you with little wrapping on them. To look in certainly not a sin but how much drool can a mixer take before it shorts?

Maybe it's the "Feels good to know I can but I wont" but if you have a big fight before a gig all that anger could make you go into "fuck it" mode. Maybe the wife must always attend to whenever gig you are and watch you like hawk watch his eggs...

edit: not trying to derail thread but dunno if it's new thread material lol
    Erase. Stop. Start.

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast