How do you practice/what is your practice routine? - Page 2
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

I purchase tracks grid them, then when i have the time put together a new mix, completely random as well.. rarely practice just don't have the time between work, my dog and the missus!

my next mix is going to be Techno/Tech House for my show and it's going to be straight up 2 hours of mixing no prep really just select tracks and of i go, makes it all the more exciting avoiding mistakes, which invariably do occur but then i prefer to do my mixing like that.

Dj F.a.R.h.A.n
    hip hop, house, reggaeton, dancehall, afrobeats, and international.

Tech Wizard

Default practice routine

start with opening traktor, start up the beauty that the s4 is, load itunes music, find a random track via sorting by bpm..... smoke a bowl or a blunt, press record on the ol' ipod recorder (belkin tune studio is awesome for recording) and then go at it.... always have a pen and pad beside me, that way those beauty's that go well together, well, become a playlist.... build on that nightly, and usually end up with a 2 hour solid mix by the end of the week......
    15" MacBook pro, traktor s4!!!!!!!

I used to practice techniques…now, I just think up an image in my head and try to tell that story with music. Sometimes, I try specifically to see how new music could fit in. And when I'm using anything new, I treat it as a technique. I'm about to re-do my X1 mappings, and that's going to take some time to get used to…so I'll probably practice that more. I'd imagine I'll practice a bit more when the new version of Traktor drops…adding samples/loops with Ableton is easy…not quite sure about exactly how I want to use them in Traktor, especially with them not being time-stretched. That's going to take some experimentation, which seems like practice.

Mostly, what I do is prepare tracks…that gives me a picture in my head of how I want to use the tracks…and that's good enough at this point.

Quote Originally Posted by johndavid View Post
    I have periods of time when I'm in the mood and others I am not.
    That's what she said.
    MBP 13" - Kontrol S4 - nanoKontrol - DHJ-500 - Hercules DJ Console MK1
    Find me on: Facebook, Soundcloud
    Quote Originally Posted by space monkey View Post
    Hi Karlos! I have a lawnmower, do you like grapes?

I usually mix the tracks I have mastered with the new purchased tracks and find the sweet spot.

If you are like me that forget shit easily just use the track info space on the right that say notes and write everything there like "cool cowbell @ -2:11" or "Stupid bitch shuts up @ -3:45".... Use cue points a lot...

I also tend to play a lot with FX to see whats more appropriate for that track and write it off there too. "reverb" or "phaser" or whatever... At first I end up looking at the screen but when you know the track you'll remember everything and do it properly.

Also to mix things up play with different genres and have fun trying to scratch. If it proved to be handy drive around and hear your recordings like above poster said.

I dont call it practice, I like it more like fun with music.
    Erase. Stop. Start.

DJTT Infectious Moderator photojojo's Avatar

I wouldn't so much call it practice as listening to the music and goofing off.
    Chris Jennings FHP

Podcast - Soundcloud - Mixcloud - Beatport Charts - x

Tech Guru

Usually I sit down an try to put a clever mix together in Traktor. A few hours pass and I remember I haven't done shit I meant to do and forgot to press record.

Tech Wizard

that sounds familiar

I just open up traktor, start off with a house tune, then keep going back and forth trying to find the best way to continually play my hip hop tunes while incorporating house into it as well.

Usually used to practice 3 - 4 hours a night, well practice or as others have mentioned "goofing off / having fun" with my equipment. I just think calling it practice makes me wanna do it less :P, but it is a ton of fun.

Currently I maybe mix for an hour or so a night.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast