My feelings, thoughts and overall review for the Traktor Kontrol S4 - Page 2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Nice write up .

Tech Mentor

Quote Originally Posted by Jason Cerna View Post
    So, this would be similar to the old "punch" or transform buttons you'd see on older mixers?
    yea exactly except in the digital domain , the video u showed was a rocker type switch which I dont know if it was spring loaded. The arcade button just feels so silky smooth(2 actions for every button press) like a smooth cross fader. In traktor your able to set how wide the fader will open also map multiple actions to one button which can open up new avenues of creativity . I would definitley recommend the Traktor Bible by Rainer Haselier. I was able to get mine local on ebay for 16 dollars shipped...I got lucky.

Mixing on four decks will definitley challenge the old way of mixing and can be overwhelming at times but think of it like programming a sequencer with four tracks.

Quote Originally Posted by Virtual Unknown View Post
    Mixing on four decks will definitley challenge the old way of mixing and can be overwhelming at times but think of it like programming a sequencer with four tracks.
    it's good advice. when i was first messing around with the 4 decks i was just throwing in tracks and getting confused. but, i figure if i go at it the way i do with some of the things i do in ableton live, i will be ok.

Tech Mentor

As a Scratch Live user, I appreciated the minimalist nature of the software.

Even I thought I was a little crazy for wanting to switch to something entirely different. But, I was also comfortable with Scratch Live. And I realized over the past few years, I wasn't really doing anything spectacular. Mixing with a little bit of scratching. Occasional loop rolls. I wanted to do more and I was just waiting for the industry to make something I would really be interested in buying.

I knew that Traktor Scratch Pro had a lot of potential when I met a DJ last year who actually used it live. Before that all the other guys I knew used Scratch Live. At the time I bought Scratch Live[ in 2005], it seemed like the most solid solution available at that time period.

It took a couple of demo videos and about two weeks of research before I really knew I wanted to switch over to a completely new system. And I'm very satisfied with my choice. I feel no regrets.

Jason, your story is exactly the same as mine. I knew I wanted to do more, and Serato was limiting. 3 years solid on Serato. I'll never go back.

-PL>Y

DJTT Administrator del Ritmo padi_04's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by PRESSPL>Y View Post
    Jason, your story is exactly the same as mine. I knew I wanted to do more, and Serato was limiting. 3 years solid on Serato. I'll never go back.

-PL>Y

jk

glad to hear you guys are getting along with Traktor

thanks for the review!
    Dj F.a.R.h.A.n
    hip hop, house, reggaeton, dancehall, afrobeats, and international.

it's good advice. when i was first messing around with the 4 decks i was just throwing in tracks and getting confused. but, i figure if i go at it the way i do with some of the things i do in ableton live, i will be ok.
    4 Deck mixing for me used to mean playing 4 tracks in rotation or at once.

I have learnt that it is not always so....

You can do whatever you like on them 4 decks.

I mix tracks A - B on Deck A and B.
    Then I use Deck C to connect my turntable to and use Timecode vinyl.
    Then Deck D is my loop\sample deck. I can run loops in there or sample shots.
    If i want....i can enable Timecode on it and use my other turntable.

This is still 4 Deck mixing in my eyes.

And it feels comfortable and work flow is effortless.

I would like to play on the S4 to feel what its like and experience the sample decks etc.

But i have no need to buy it. I feel my APC40 and VCI100 and Timecodes leave me with a hybrid setup that can be split up etc.

Perfect for me. The Traktor Pro 2 software will be a treat on this setup as well i recon. Can't wait for it.

Nice write up mate....enjoy it!!!

APC80:STR8-100's+Ortofon Concorde Scratch\Electro:ButterRugz:TSP2-NI Audio4DJ:Xone22+Innofader:MacBook Pro 15"
    www.soundcloud.com/djsarasin
    www.youtube.com/adriansarasin

month 2:

i'm back to running two decks. i have increased my amount of cue points to 8, so i do a bit of cue point jumping/juggling. i'm also using the hot loops more. 4 deck mixing works for minimal techno and those other genres without too much going on. but, it doesn't work for me so, i feel it's best to work more with two decks.

decks c and d now control effect banks 3 and 4. the channel faders are now the dry/wet and the first 3 knobs control the single effect parameters. i've yet to map the top most knob for decks c and d.

when i get my midi fighter, i will be able to figure out my final settings. i do plan to remap the 8 cue buttons on the s4. and work with something on the midi fighter.

i have two sets of effects for banks 1 and 3 and i switch back and forth on them with the denon midi controller. speaking of which, i still dislike the buttons denon uses for their products. they are fucking hard on the fingers after trying to bang the shit out of them for a few hours...can't wait for my midi fighter board to come in.

the buttons on the s4 are pretty worn in and feel good. i've been banging the shit out of them and drumming on the cue point buttons. i'm getting used to the software now and i'm not using quantize anymore. i've definitely got my timing down on the buttons.

i'm slowly getting to the setup i want with this hardware. will post another video once i get my final settings tweaked.

Nice one, I'm in on the "Get this man a beer" comment!
    RSTRCTD | twitter | facebook (RSTRCTD) facebook (LJ) | vimeo | pinterest | my studio | soundcloud (RSTRCTD)| soundcloud (LJ)
    -- CHECK our DEBUT (DEEP)HOUSE EP RELEASE ON BEATPORT "RSTRCTD - EXISTENCE" --

great review. thanks for coming back on the second month to update! much appreciated. you've made no mention of callibration, tempo faders or sound issues. have you had any of these issues? i'm hoping they're not as much trouble as some are making them out to be. i'd really like to get a S4 but am worried i'll get a faulty unit.

was Strongly considering a Denon X1600 instead (then i also have an external mixer incase i'm not using a laptop). but i think the S4 might win in the end as it will ship with TPro 2 and has all the buttons and jog wheels as well - far more tactile control. would be nice if the S4 was built to work as a stand along mixer tho.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast