sound proofing - Page 3
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: sound proofing

Hummm... I'm not an expert on this subject matter, but you can take a look at what some individuals use to bass proof and sound proof their vehicles.

At my University, they have a sound proof room, and it's a pretty expensive setup (almost like a chamber) and it's designed to give absolutely no echo no matter how loud you yell or play music.

Try looking outside of the box... I know that some companies and even vacation resorts pay $$$ to pretty much soundproof their generators because they are so loud. It may not be 100%, but does a great job.

There have been already a lot of good examples how to do it more cheaply, but with some hard research, you could find a better way (maybe cheaper, maybe not).

Maybe the cheapest way is to host the party elsewhere lol... or invest in some decent earplugs for sound canceling

DJTT Infectious Moderator photojojo's Avatar

The whole video is good, but at about 3:50 they touch a little on what you want to do.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4wmdDYUFfMM
    Chris Jennings FHP

Podcast - Soundcloud - Mixcloud - Beatport Charts - x

Tech Guru

theres some good articles on the net about this. but if youre serious about it.

buy drywall, make sure all wall surfaces are at an angle not perpendicular to each other and stuff insulation between the new drywall and the actual walls themselves. you can acoustically pad the outer surfaces of the drywall as well for good measure. just a few degrees will do the trick.
    Baked Chicken | Brown Rice | Asparagus | Apple Juice | Snack Wells | Pretzel Chips | Lots of Water

Tech Guru

If you wanted to go all out i could help you work out the rooms resonant frequency and find the materials and space it'd need from the wall + angles to best suit your problem frequencies.
    Wouldn't require much money, just some careful planning - this way you could also improve the sound in the room (Obviously any kind of insulation will prevent reflection, but you'd lose certain elements of sounds and you might get dead spots).

Let me know if you want me to, i'll need room dimensions, how many people on average in there, and some info on speaker placement etc.

Also you have to remember that people have high sound absorption, an empty room might sound fine but when you fill it with people you might find you've killed the sound in there by over dampening.

Quote Originally Posted by photojojo View Post
    The whole video is good, but at about 3:50 they touch a little on what you want to do.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4wmdDYUFfMM
    stealing my video links from old threads i see.... well played sir, well played

DJTT Infectious Moderator photojojo's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by josh@firestorm View Post
    stealing my video links from old threads i see.... well played sir, well played
    Chris Jennings FHP

Podcast - Soundcloud - Mixcloud - Beatport Charts - x

Tech Mentor

very great ideas.
    i'll post all the measurements and everything in a little while.
    my friend is doing all the measurments now.

Tech Mentor

ok guys so i need to soundproof 870 sq feet.
    lol

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisEPIC View Post
    ok guys so i need to soundproof 870 sq feet.
    lol
    To work out the room mode we need to have the actual dimensions of the room, not just the amount of area in the room.

Need to know the length, width and hight of the room in order for the calculations to be done

Quote Originally Posted by BentoSan View Post
    The only thing that stops sound is mass, or the complete lack of mass - ie a vacume, but that gets expensive !
    The most on point part of this thread, def worth repeating!

If you just want to soundproof, all you need is mass. mass. mass.

____

A sound wave is a vibration, in the air, vibrating freely. when it hit's a piece of foam, it's vibration get absorbed a little bit - it's harder to vibrate through foam than air.
    Therefore by the time it's vibrated through the foam to the other side there's less energy in the sound and it becomes quieter.
    If it hits say, a piece of concrete. Then concrete is pretty dense stuff, VERY hard for a little soundwave to vibrate. It will though (at a loud enough volume) still get through.
    It'll be much MUCH quieter by the time it gets to the other side though, as all the energy will of been absorbed by the mass of the material.

Basically put enough mass in the way and you'll be able to stop the sound escaping and pissing off the neighbors! But to get enough mass with foam, you'd probably have to fill the whole room up lol...

____
    imagine this..
    Put a foam cushion over your speaker cone and see how quiet it gets.
    Now get a concrete slab (or anything high density and the same thickness as your cushion) and put that over your speaker cone instead. hear the difference? that's why you need the mass!

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast