Traktor S4 (copy) build log - Page 2
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

OK here's a list of the parts I have lying around or already rigged up in one of my previous controllers. I've put a brief description of what each has to offer. All costs include delivery, I've put in a link where I can.

2 x Eks xp 10's - Touch sensitive jog wheel, pitch control and 22 buttons. (Ebay under £90 for both)

1 x Leo Bodnar BU0836X game controller - 8 analogue pots, 16 encoders (or 32 buttons) and a hi hat switch. (£50 from BU0836X)

2 x PS one controllers with usb attachment - joypad - usb attachment 8 analogues and 20 buttons - £12

1 x X Session pro - Ebay bargain at £35. Will carry out the main mixer functions, plus the buttons will load the tracks

10 x 10k linear potentiometers with soft touch knobs once again from Ebay Ebay approx £10

10 x rotary encoders from Virtual Village £10

1 x Final Scratch - Scratch Amp for sound card.

30 x arcade buttons from Gremlin Solutions £65

8 x L.E.D buttons £15 Ebay

I make that £293 worth of materials I already own. I've excluded the price of the sound card which I've had forever and couldn't put a price near it. When I bought the X Session Pro it came with a shitty usb sound card with it, so I could use that if need be.

Now here's a list of what I'm going to need to buy...

More encoders - Ebay £10

Small switches - Ebay £4

Small LED push buttons - Ebay £19

3 x A3 acrylic sheets - Ebay £18

I've got some spare wood lying in the garage that I can use for a base, so I see that as coming to £50 to £60 for materials I need to buy.

Total estimated cost so far - without me picking up a soldering iron - between £350 and £450.

i think it'll turn out great.. especially with arcade buttons instead of the little buttons on the s4's sample banks.

Just another little update. I've been thinking about this a lot and there are several problems that I have to fix before I go any further.

Slotting holes in acrylic or metal is a major pain in the ass. The solution I have come up with is to buy a second hand mixer from Ebay with the kind of layout I want. I will then bastardise it and make it fit for my purposes. cheap mixer. I like the look of this simple mixer because it has a lot of knobs on it for each channel and it has a master output too. A cross fader is also handy and it's approximate size is what I need. Even if I only use the faceplate from it, it will be worth the cost.

The frame was also something that was bothering me. The whole unit was going to be enormous, so I think I will have to make the controller higher than first thought, so I can fit all the pcb's in. I think the unit will now be around the height of a normal Pioneer mixer. This means I will be able to cross the boards over inside the unit without touching because they will be at separate heights.

Jog wheels and arcade buttons were also giving me headaches because I bought 5mm acrylic. This means housing all the pots, encoders and jog wheels were going to be difficult. The only way I can see round this is to make some of the sections in 3mm acrylic and others in 5mm. I might buy a router and lay separate acrylic sheets in to the wooden frame.

The layout has changed enormously form the original drawing (as I said it would) and I still don't know if I am going to make it in one full unit or 3 separate ones. I have an idea for connecting individual decks up with a D-Sub cable. That would be 24 wires and a zero volt line. I could use that cable for encoders and pots.

I'm rambling now because I'm a little tipsy......

Ever considered using the X Sessions Pro next to a Reloop Contour IE and a Reloop Contour CE?
    RSTRCTD | twitter | facebook (RSTRCTD) facebook (LJ) | vimeo | pinterest | my studio | soundcloud (RSTRCTD)| soundcloud (LJ)
    -- CHECK our DEBUT (DEEP)HOUSE EP RELEASE ON BEATPORT "RSTRCTD - EXISTENCE" --

Quote Originally Posted by Tekki View Post
    Ever considered using the X Sessions Pro next to a Reloop Contour IE and a Reloop Contour CE?
    Yup, but it means I would have to buy some. I've also looked at the Denon ones too.

Most of the parts I need I have lying around doing nothing (EKS, X Session, Faders, Pots, encoders). All stuff from previous builds. In reality building this will cot me about £100 -£150.

Hopefully.

And I will have the added bonus of using the 30 arcade buttons I have. Yay!

Definitely get yourself a router. They cut acrylic like it's butter and finish is excellent.
    I bought a 3mm router bit the other week for cutting out slots for faders.

If you make a few jigs it makes repeat cuts so much easier

I have a jig for faders and a 4 x 4 jig for arcade buttons. Takes me about 3 minutes to cut 16 holes for arcade buttons that are perfect every time.

Thanks man. I noticed a few on sale for £40. I will probably go and buy one now. Screwfix and Homebase had basic ones, I assume the majority of the work is done by a decent cutter?

You should be fine with a router from Screwfix or Homebase. You dont need to spend loads of cash for what you're wanting to do.

I think Screwfix do some router cutter sets too.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast