Studio Monitors - Page 3
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Studio Monitors

Tech Wizard

Hmm makes sense, I think I'll go with a set of cans for now I'm thinking the AKG k240 studio's, they sound like a great set based on reviews with great low end response. Right now I've been using my ultrasone dj-1 pro's and they definitely seem weak/inaccurate a little bit on the low end. My only question is do the k240 studios need a lot of break in time, and what are the steps to breaking them in if they do?

Also, it seems like club speakers probably have more response in certain frequency areas, and less in other areas. Do producers usually take this into account. ie. if club speakers tend to have more low end response than a flat monitor, would the producer leave the bass at a lower decibel knowing on club speakers it will sound louder etc?

Filterkat

pretty minimal from what i can remember, well it depends on what you call long or not... ive had mine for 6 years and there still going strong... i remember though they took about a 2 months before they sounded "full", they tend to sound a bit "thin" and tinny a little bit at the start, Just listen to music in them every day like you would normally, at the normal level you feel comfortable listening to. No need for any special exercises or anything

good choice on cans btw

Filterkat

P.S. with regards to clubs... not really... Every club is going to have a different setup, different acoustics, and an all round different sound. so no. Generally a good rule of thumb though is, if it sounds good on your monitors, in your cans, in your car, and on a normal stereo, chances are its going to sound good in a club aswel.

I remember a club back on the goldcoast where i used to live, back in australia... i used to call it "the pressure chamber"... But really it was called Platinum. It was hands down the best club on the coast, with the only descent sounding system. Probably had something to do with the fact they partnered with ministry of sound... When you walked into the club, Everything sounded really balanced, but the bass was on a whole other level... you could feel it, and it got into your chest and shit and it was just... Dope... I ended up playing there about 5 or 6 times, and it was even crazier from the DJ booth, which was right in the middle of the club. It felt like bass was hitting you from all angles... it was the best feeling EVAR. All the other clubs just couldnt compare...

But basically what im tryna say is different clubs will have a very different sound depending on a lot of factors, with acoustics and speaker placement being the main contributing factors. Then it also depends on what kind of system the club has. Ive been to clubs that are really mid heavy, some bass heavy, some well balanced, and some just downright hurt my ears.

So in short... no, you shouldnt take into account the frequencies on your songs when thinking about them regarding a club... after all... thats what those EQ knob thingies are for on those mixer doodads they have in there are for. ... if u feel theres not enough bass or mids... JACK THAT SHIT UP!!! f*ckin twist those knobs like ur giving a kid the nipple cripple of his life...

Tech Wizard

Thanks bro, I think Im going to go with the KRK Rokit 8's as well, went to guitar center and the HS-80's are nice but pretty expensive (but they definitely let you know of any high frequency problems etc.), and the mackie's seemed a little bass heavy.

I think the KRK's along with the k240 studio's should give me a pretty damn good idea of what my tracks are sounding like exactly.

What you think?

Quote Originally Posted by supracg View Post
    Thanks bro, I think Im going to go with the KRK Rokit 8's as well, went to guitar center and the HS-80's are nice but pretty expensive (but they definitely let you know of any high frequency problems etc.), and the mackie's seemed a little bass heavy.

I think the KRK's along with the k240 studio's should give me a pretty damn good idea of what my tracks are sounding like exactly.

What you think?
    Do what Dr. Dre does, also stick your track on a CD then play it in your car! :P

Filterkat

KRK's are a solid choice anyway dude... those along with a pair of k240's should be all you need... personally if i didnt have the cash to buy the HS80s i woulda done the same and gone with KRK's i dont think you will be dissapointed with that setup. good choice... KRK's have a great quality/price ratio, and sound pretty damn good. Besides, whatever small details you may miss with the KRK's youll be sure to pick up with the K240s, But in general, KRK's are pretty flat, the dynamics arent as high as more expensive monitors, but id say you have the most dynamic pair of monitoring cans on the market to compensate for that... well maybe not the most dynamic... but, the best pair in a reasonable pricerange... sure theres better headphones than that aswel... but your gonna end up payin big bucks for em

Filterkat

Quote Originally Posted by Coldfuzion View Post
    Do what Dr. Dre does, also stick your track on a CD then play it in your car! :P
    lol but then again... considering dr dres massive bank roll... hes probably replaced his car speakers with studio monitors... with platinum plated spinners as the grill...

either the yamaha HS50 or HS80 depending on your budget - these are good value, very accurate monitors, my lecturers at SAE even recommend them for their accuracy (i study audio engineering there)
    Setup:

Traktor Pro 2 / S2 MK2 / X1 MK2 / Audio6 / Pioneer HDJ2000 / Westone UM3X / rMBP 13 inch 2014 (2.8 GHz) / Focal Alpha 50

Filterkat

Quote Originally Posted by DJZILCH View Post
    either the yamaha HS50 or HS80 depending on your budget - these are good value, very accurate monitors, my lecturers at SAE even recommend them for their accuracy (i study audio engineering there)
    lol looks like ur going to the same school i went to, finnished audio engineering there like 2 years ago :P, yeah i dont think the OP can afford the yamahas, i reccomended them to him, but said there too dear, but hes going with KRK's so i think thats a suitable lower cost choice...

what SAE u going to? which country and all that?

Yeah i got a pair of HS-80s after i heard 3/4 of the lecturers rambling on about them... lol

Aahhhh... SAE, almost went there too, after my buddy(James Dan) attended in Amsterdam.

But I didn't.

(TBH for dance music Mackie HR series > Yamaha HS)
    RSTRCTD | twitter | facebook (RSTRCTD) facebook (LJ) | vimeo | pinterest | my studio | soundcloud (RSTRCTD)| soundcloud (LJ)
    -- CHECK our DEBUT (DEEP)HOUSE EP RELEASE ON BEATPORT "RSTRCTD - EXISTENCE" --

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast