S4 Mapping Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: S4 Mapping Help

Tech Wizard

Default S4 Mapping Help

Hello,
    I just got my S4 and its hot; I have been having trouble tweaking the map though. In traktor I make a USER profile for the S4, then I assume all the stuff I put in that map overrides the default map. So far I have been able to add functionality to a control but not replace functionality.

Problems:

1) I'm trying to set up my pitch bend sliders to do complex effects like in Ean's vci tutorial. This works, but the thing is still adjusting the tempo.
    1a) I would like the offset keys to go up and down one bpm, I feel they wont work properly until I get the pitch bend removed.

2) I can add a filter to the filter knob, but I can't change the filter.

3) Is there any way to tell what the settings are on the default map. I want to know which modifier shift is set to, things like that.

Any help would be much appreciated,
    Joe

You can't replace commands (not exactly see below) if you use the embedded mapping. You don't really "overrides".
    So if you're using a user traktor s4 mapping either you build it from scratch, or use the default one provided in your files; or you use the embedded one.
    Using a full user mapping implies to have erased from your controller manager the embedded one.

That's the generic thinking, however there are some possibilities to twist the embedded one, twisting only, not really being able to fully customize it.
    I'll suggest to have a look at the Traktor's bible site, there's good inspiration there.

- there are some controls that may not be in use, like when you're using 4 fx units, each one being assigned to one channel: 4 of the channel fx assign buttons not being in use anymore. A good spot for putting a low kill for example. You'll find at the Traktor Bible 's site a small mapping allowing to reassign the fx units if you prefer (by the way the leds will not work so I don't think it is a good idea).

- some controls can be twisted:
    (*)like the sensitivity of the jog wheel for example. You think the jogwheel is a bit slow when used as a control for controlling filters? Just add a new user traktor mapping, create an on/off modifier which will be the load buttons for the S4 (the one that engages the use as a control for the filter), be sure it equals one when the load button is lit on the hardware, add a new command managing the filter setting with a new sensitivity. One will add around 25% sensitivity with the settings of the encoder to 300%/100%.

On the contrary if you don't like the gain encoders (hardware) as gain encoders and want to use them for something else you can add a function for gain control and you'll bet the encoder to settings 0%/0% as that should stop the encoder (hardware) from moving the encoder (software from moving).

(*)You can add or remove controls on some circumstances. I've talked about the jogwheel used for filter and how by creating the same modifier you could change the sensitivity, but that applies too when you use it for FX: let's say you prefer to control the first fx in the group mode and the second and may be the third but without changing its setting. And all that with engaging the FX themselves. That's feasible by creating the corresponding modifier from your hardware (in this case the load button) in a user mapping. The rest is classical mapping.
    For the jogwheel(s) as they react to the browse mode (which is a modifier) you also to create a modifier that would reflect that state too. Think that your modifier(s) and the hardware/software must be 'synchronised' (like when load is lit your modifier equals one in your mapping.

*For the jogwheel(s) as they react to the browse mode (which is a modifier) you need also to create a modifier that would reflect that state too. Think also that your modifier(s) and the hardware/software must be 'synchronised' (like when load is lit your modifier equals one in your mapping.

But I'm going to use my own perception here as I've been mapping this thing since two week extensively and studied it a bit. The embedded mapping is a thing of beauty, it's quite well thought (not perfect) and gives you on the hardware a lot of information coming from the led feedback, without even speaking of the loop length screen that is a bless to have really.

You won't come any close to reflecting the embedded mapping. You'll loose a lot of details and a lot of information. So you'll really have to question yourself about the compromise you're going to have to make if you want a pure custom mapping. But that's a matter of personal preference really but at least for me, made me think a lot about it.

One thing to note is you're not obliged to use midi to do a custom mapping but that implies two things:
    - you won't be able to map some functions on some controls: you can't use a fader as a button setting like in Traktor, the controller manager will tell you the control being inappropriate. So no fader engaging a FX like in 'juggle' (you can find different ways, but not with a fader or a knob).
    - the embedded mapping(not the default user one) is very complex to reproduce, very (or in this case, trying to get near it). Especially because each deck 'layer' use the same one as its duplicate (a&c; b&d) so any mapping would involve a lot of modifiers and/or will obliged to create several devices to manage the modifiers available (for more advanced power users)

The middle way towards customizing is twisting the embedded mapping with the tips I explained above. You get the benefits of the embedded mapping and twist it here and there. But, you'll get frustrated because more than often you'll realize that you are limited even with the options offered, the nicest one being to change how to work with the fx with the jog.

Another way is to use the default user mapping as a base, study it to learn the modifier system, to learn about some new functions and how they are used (always some info in there). I think that's the best start to custom map the unit especially when you/we/I at the starting point of the learning curve of this unit.
    I did that, erased some functions I didn't like, created new ones, studied a part so I could reproduce it by in my own way, etc... BUT, man, I really miss all the smart details the embedded mapping gave me.

Lastly there's still the possibility to switch the unit into midi mode, and then you can do what you want, you're just restrained by what the controller manager offers and your scheming. Actually it can be good idea to create a full juggle mode: you use the embedded mapping and enjoy all it has to offer and switch to midi mode for some fun time (juggle mode, fader Fx, superknobs, whatever). You can duplicate some functions and visual feedback so you're not lost when passing to midi mode like the channel volumes, etc. The switch from HID to midi mode being easily done and already previewed on the S4 by pressing shift + browse mode.

A final word:
    the Traktor S4 combo has really been thought to be used as two decks and two sample decks. That even makes you think of the need to have 4 decks as track decks available, bearing in mind you have almost another source with the loop recorder.
    NI's just offered us a really good controller but also a good bucket of creativity with the software combo.
    Last edited by Yul; 11-14-2010 at 06:06 AM.

By the way:
    2) I can add a filter to the filter knob, but I can't change the filter.

3) Is there any way to tell what the settings are on the default map. I want to know which modifier shift is set to, things like that.
    2/ the only thing you can do is either
    -change the type of filter in the general preferences
    - or blocking the built-in filter by one of the method I gave above (create a setting for the knob with parameters as direct and 0%/0%) and use a dedicated fx unit with a filter and assign it to your deck(s) and related knob(s)

3)Some are obvious, like deck select, browse mode (both 0/1 toggling).
    But you can open the default user mapping provided to study the modifier method used to get an rough idea. Rough because the default user mapping is a light reflection of the embedded one and they probably don't work 100% the same.

Hope it helps
    Last edited by Yul; 11-13-2010 at 06:52 PM.

Tech Wizard

WOW,
    That is a thorough response! My intention is to lightly tweak the default mapping, because as you said, its a thing of beauty. Its going to take a bit tog my head around what you are saying, but I think I get it.

I'll keep you posted,
    Thanks again,
    Joe

Tech Wizard

Looks like I've got something to work with. I opened up the Default S4 mapping found at:
    .../Traktor S4/Settings/Default Settings/Controller/Native Instruments/01 - Controller - Native Instruments - S4 User Mapping.tsi

and opened it up in a text editor. Then I changed the values of the following fields.

<Entry Name="Flavour" Type="1" Value="7"></Entry>
    <Entry Name="FlavourSpecial" Type="1" Value="1"></Entry>
    <Entry Name="Version" Type="1" Value="3"></Entry>

The new values came from an export I did with a S4 User profile. From there you can delete the S4 mapping from within traktor and import the one attached. I'm making the little tweaks I like and will be posting that file shortly.

Joe

I 'think' there's a misunderstanding, the file you're opening is not the embedded mapping but the default user one. Those are two different things.
    And if you're going to tweak it, remember that it is not the reflection of the embedded one and faaaaar from it.

Tech Wizard

Awe man!
    Is there a way to get the embedded one out and tweak it?

Joe

DJTT Infectious Moderator photojojo's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by megaplow View Post
    Awe man!
    Is there a way to get the embedded one out and tweak it?

Joe
    No.
    Chris Jennings FHP

Podcast - Soundcloud - Mixcloud - Beatport Charts - x

Tech Wizard

As I understand it, there is a mapping in the firmware of the S4. So to edit that mapping would take some sort of firmware upgrade. My little tweaks to the USER map are nice but as you said, I lost a lot of the more subtle functionality (loop size display). So... I guess I should just get used to it and love the S4 the way she is.

Thanks for all the responses,
    Joe

So if I want to move the gain encoder to the filter knob and vice versa, I can't do that and keep all the S4 functionality?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast