electro controller need HELP xone dx vs S4
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Tech Wizard

Default electro controller need HELP xone dx vs S4

So i was going to purchase a xone dx for an itch/traktor controller to mix electro house and a little dubstep but the S4 looks really sick and keeps coming to mind. has anybody tried both or have any thoughts about either as an electro controller?

DX vs S4 .. S4 no question.
    Acer E5 i7 16GB 512SSD 2TBHD ~ WIN 10 ~ TSP 2.11 ~ AUDIO 6 ~ DUAL X1s ~ DN-X1600 ~ SPECTRA ~ TWISTER ~ ATH-PRO500 MK2 ~ ZED6FX ~ AT2020

" I’m the Dude, so that’s what you call me. That or, uh His Dudeness, or uh Duder, or El Duderino, if you’re not into the whole brevity thing. "

I do have both at the moment.

Overally speaking the S4 is probably the best of the two if you're considering Traktor.

However, there's one thing that can't be answered right now which is the test of time and use. And on that, the DX is more solid built than the S4 so?

Likewise on a live use, the S4 is quite light compared to the DX, have a look at Ean G. on his last videos for the S4, he's banging the unit but it moves. That's not something that happens with the DX really because of its weight and build quality. In this sense the DX is closer to the feeling you may have with CDJ/mixer pro gear.

Time will tell.

I agree that only time will tell regarding the S4. It looks like the DX is more rock solid, but the S4 has more tactile controls, including the fact that S4's jogs smoke the DX's. The S4 also has a better price point, although you may be able to find lightly used DX's for maybe as much as a couple hundred off. if you're already a serato/itch guy, then you may want to go w/ the DX. Another advantage i have been told the DX has-XLR outputs, which the S4 lacks.

wait to see what Numark releases or go with S4 - its built for Traktor and you'll get the new S4 features straight away. just my opinion

To be honest, you're not likely to be banging it like Ean was in that video. So S4 I'd say.
    Pioneer DJM 700 / Traktor Kontrol X1 / 2 x Technics SL1200MK5 / Traktor Scratch Pro 2.6.7 / Ortofon Concorde Nightclub MK1
    Audio 8 DJ / Sennheiser HD 25-1 II / Magma Traveler / IsoAcoustics ISO-L8R155 / KRK RP6 G2 / Vinyl

Funny I was asking myself this question and this appeared in like the 5th entry of google.

I dunno why but the way I see it is that controllers can become not obsolete but outdated since they are attached to a software that logically is bound to change and develop further in ways that it can very much outgrow the hardware.

That said Xone controllers are pretty expensive and definitely aimed to the professional/hardcore enthusiast crowd. I see the S4 being kind of in the middle but more inclined to regular customers rather than Pro. If they were aiming this to the pro crowd maybe the construction would have been aluminum or metal with the sliders of a far better quality.

Are the faders and knobs in the Xones easely replaceable? What about the S4?
    Erase. Stop. Start.

Quote Originally Posted by Quenepas View Post
    Funny I was asking myself this question and this appeared in like the 5th entry of google.

I dunno why but the way I see it is that controllers can become not obsolete but outdated since they are attached to a software that logically is bound to change and develop further in ways that it can very much outgrow the hardware.

That said Xone controllers are pretty expensive and definitely aimed to the professional/hardcore enthusiast crowd. I see the S4 being kind of in the middle but more inclined to regular customers rather than Pro. If they were aiming this to the pro crowd maybe the construction would have been aluminum or metal with the sliders of a far better quality.

Are the faders and knobs in the Xones easely replaceable? What about the S4?
    The faders on the S4 have been described as phenomenal! And also, professionals are using it. Lol. DJ Fresh for exaple has been giving it alot of love on Twitter.
    Pioneer DJM 700 / Traktor Kontrol X1 / 2 x Technics SL1200MK5 / Traktor Scratch Pro 2.6.7 / Ortofon Concorde Nightclub MK1
    Audio 8 DJ / Sennheiser HD 25-1 II / Magma Traveler / IsoAcoustics ISO-L8R155 / KRK RP6 G2 / Vinyl

Tech Student

I just got a xone dx after spinning on turntables for over ten years and 2 of them being on scratch live. I love the DX. The build quality is great and if you're into playing EDM and remixing on the fly then you will love it. The creativity capabilities are endless. I can't say too much about the N7's unfortunately because I'm not a huge fan of Numark. I have a buddy who has the NS7 but he would sell it in a heartbeat if he had the cake to buy a DX.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast