Mastering my own track - Page 2
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Tech Wizard

YEAH!IT WORKS!I never tought to do in that way!thanks man!!!
    I am working on a remix on soundcloud, maybe in a few days I can upload it and you can take a listen if you want!

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by rjw View Post
    Reverb is an effect, it needs to act on a sound... try this:

Get a snare sample.
    Put a reverb on it and make it reeeeeealy long, many seconds of reverb time. 100%WET

record that sound to a new track.

Now REVERSE what you've just recorded.

finally position your rising reverse reverb effect wherever you think it fits, job done!
    Producing 101 eh? Make sure to put a filter on it as well

Tech Wizard

Ok a filter.....can you tell me why?so i can really understand how to use it and why i use it!

Banned

If it's a real snare recording, and not a synthesized one, you'd want to put a filter on it to get rid of all the rumble the mic picked up during the recording. If you don't then there's going to be a lot of rumble in the reverb too and it's just going to make your mix sound muddy.

Quote Originally Posted by Sanderbongertman View Post
    Definitely interesting to read up on that although I strongly advice not using harmonic excitement unless you know exactly what it does and how it works. That is because essentialy it destroys the audio and creates noise to make it sound smoother to our ears. As you could imagine applying this wrong only has negative effects. Later today I'll run your track through some analyzers and I'll give you some detailed tips.
    I like your mastering rjw!I think it's better to low the high level of the drum part at the initial part but I love the main bass.
    Uff I just want to be able to manage the sound in a better way but for now no results.
    I usually use some compresson on drums parts and some other staff on the mastering channel.
    I have another question: Why if i watch to the sound wave it seems to be soooo small and not "big", "open" as the professional one?(I know they are better than me but I just want to know why, they use something special?).
    @Sanderbongertman: thanks so much. I'm waiting for them.I need it because I started two month ago to make some noise and I want to learn more and more and more
    ps by the way....what do you think about the track? It totally bad or there are some parts that you almost like?
    Thanks

Pretty good song!

I can't really give any technical advice other than:

To get the kick drums louder, I would try layering them. Maybe adding a compressor to the synth to make the kick break through abit. This isn't mastering persé but It helps me with some of the problems. I'm a total beginner though! :P

Banned

I'm really against layering kicks to be honest, all you're going to get is a really muddy sound, and not a crisp punchy kick you're looking for. Taking two separate kicks and playing them at the same time is not the way to go in my opinion.

Now this isn't the same as building a kick sound using other kicks, ala taking the low end from a kick and filtering everything above 50hz, and then taking the attack/click of another kick and filtering everything out below 110hz, and then taking the punch/character of another kick and filtering everything out below 60hz and everything above 100hz and then messing with the levels.

Tech Convert

lots Of VST u can buy. many great reverb Vsts out there

Quote Originally Posted by Cameluntu View Post
    Really thank you for your tips and time. I want to put some rising fx, like a classic reverb but in Ableton I don't know how to use it...it sound so....so....so nothing!
    ahaha
    Practising I think i could learn it!
    Thank you very much!!
    Reverb is an effect, it needs to act on a sound... try this:

Get a snare sample.
    Put a reverb on it and make it reeeeeealy long, many seconds of reverb time. 100%WET

record that sound to a new track.

Now REVERSE what you've just recorded.

finally position your rising reverse reverb effect wherever you think it fits, job done!

Tech Mentor

I noticed that the track sounds full / complete on my phones but not on my sets of monitors... I haven't analyzed it but I'm almost certain that with all of the FX you've generated some phase cancellation issues. These can muddy up the mix because the left channel and right work in opposite phases and cancel out sounds. This doesn't happen on phones since the left and right channels never interact. You could use an analyzer such as PAZ http://www.waves.com/Content.aspx?id=233 to check for this.

Cheers.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast