Mastering my own track
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
    Tech Wizard

Default Mastering my own track

Ehy guys. I suck mastering my own track could you tell me what i can do to improve the sound of this song?

I think it's sounds too high. Or maybe not!What do you think? I used Ableton.
    Thanks

Banned

You should do everything you can in the mix down stage, so if it sounds a little to high for then lower those tracks and so on. You shouldn't be using mastering to fix something that you should have attended to in the mix down phase.

Tech Mentor

For some reason it looks like the track you posted is not currently available... tried refreshing the page but still same problem. This could be one of SC's many site overloads.

Tech Wizard

Default ehy

ehy, I am so sorry!my fault....here it is

tell me what do you think about it.
    thanks

Everything looks fairly balanced to me. I'd reduce the high end of the main synth that runs throughout, maybe drop 3-6db at 2500hz

Also I think you could have louder drums, especially with regards to the kick drum!

Finally bring your bass levels up a little, anything below 100hz can come up another 2-3 db at least.

-

Mastering can be a bitch to try and do yourself, not least because one of the most useful aspects of mastering is the fact your getting a second pair of ears to listen to the track and make adjustments to it fresh!

Look up multi-band compression, harmonic excitement and limiting techniques to get started and you can get some good results with 'Ozone4' - which has a lot of the stuff you need for mastering all built into one plugin.
    Think it also comes with a rough guide on how to start mastering in the manual too! check the demo out, some good tips in there

...and see if this'll do the job for you.. http://dl.dropbox.com/u/5821454/Gulp...astered%5D.wav

Quote Originally Posted by rjw View Post
    Everything looks fairly balanced to me. I'd reduce the high end of the main synth that runs throughout, maybe drop 3-6db at 2500hz

Also I think you could have louder drums, especially with regards to the kick drum!

Finally bring your bass levels up a little, anything below 100hz can come up another 2-3 db at least.

-

Mastering can be a bitch to try and do yourself, not least because one of the most useful aspects of mastering is the fact your getting a second pair of ears to listen to the track and make adjustments to it fresh!

Look up multi-band compression, harmonic excitement and limiting techniques to get started and you can get some good results with 'Ozone4' - which has a lot of the stuff you need for mastering all built into one plugin.
    Think it also comes with a rough guide on how to start mastering in the manual too! check the demo out, some good tips in there

...and see if this'll do the job for you.. http://dl.dropbox.com/u/5821454/Gulp...astered%5D.wav
    Definitely interesting to read up on that although I strongly advice not using harmonic excitement unless you know exactly what it does and how it works. That is because essentialy it destroys the audio and creates noise to make it sound smoother to our ears. As you could imagine applying this wrong only has negative effects. Later today I'll run your track through some analyzers and I'll give you some detailed tips.

Tech Wizard

I like your mastering rjw!I think it's better to low the high level of the drum part at the initial part but I love the main bass.
    Uff I just want to be able to manage the sound in a better way but for now no results.
    I usually use some compresson on drums parts and some other staff on the mastering channel.
    I have another question: Why if i watch to the sound wave it seems to be soooo small and not "big", "open" as the professional one?(I know they are better than me but I just want to know why, they use something special?).
    @Sanderbongertman: thanks so much. I'm waiting for them.I need it because I started two month ago to make some noise and I want to learn more and more and more
    ps by the way....what do you think about the track? It totally bad or there are some parts that you almost like?
    Thanks
    Calvin

Quote Originally Posted by Cameluntu View Post
    Why if i watch to the sound wave it seems to be soooo small and not "big", "open" as the professional one?
    the size of the waveform is directly related to the volume of it, the louder the sound the bigger the waveform. Your track actually had a nice amount of headroom (that's the empty space between your loudest peak and 0db) - if you want to have any room to work with when mastering you need to leave that space there so you've got room to master into.

does that make sense? i'm a bit tired today lol.
    Basically your overall mix levels are good from a mastering point of view, keep 'em where they are and let the mastering bring the overall volume of your track up!

As far as the track goes there's some cool ideas. Intro sounds good. I think you should work on a bit of a pause and build before the main bass comes in, there's not enough definition between the sections. Even a 1 bar break (cut out some drums, add some kind of rising fx) before that main bass line section will help loads. That will make the main section sound better when it kicks in coz you'll of generated some contrast between the intro and that bit.. does that help?

bear in mind the more tracks you make the better they'll get so just keep at it!

___

Found that guide I was on about too... http://www.izotope.com/products/audi...eringGuide.PDF
    Last edited by rjw; 10-08-2010 at 09:41 AM.

Tech Wizard

Really thank you for your tips and time. I want to put some rising fx, like a classic reverb but in Ableton I don't know how to use it...it sound so....so....so nothing!
    ahaha
    Practising I think i could learn it!
    Thank you very much!!

Reverb is an effect, it needs to act on a sound... try this:

Get a snare sample.
    Put a reverb on it and make it reeeeeealy long, many seconds of reverb time. 100%WET

record that sound to a new track.

Now REVERSE what you've just recorded.

finally position your rising reverse reverb effect wherever you think it fits, job done!

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast