NI S4 System? Nah, DIY 4 Channel TP Controller
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default NI S4 System? Nah, DIY 4 Channel TP Controller

Taking advantage of the huge bonanza that exist on Midi Fighters and DIY Contorllers, im posting this to discuss the chance of building a portable 4 deck DIY Midi controller that could allow any dj to do must of the things actual dj controllers can do, and even more.

So why dont we all get here and put some desings into this thread maybe some of us get the chance to actually build it, we need to help Ean and his crew to get bigger and to get much more know around the world.

I have a couple of ideas and i will be posting them here really soon, i hope you appreciate the idea and get into this duty....

Lets say there would not be a roof for imagination, im really sure they are some preety good engineers, designers and computer geeks who love this as much as Ean and his crew does...

So lets talk about it....
    "Dance Dance Dance just being a geek"

1.)Built in powered usb hub

so many things that eventually get added into a set up.. and ultimately you have to use longer usb cables to get them where you need them... so having something local from the main place you mix can mabey streamline some of the setups.

2.) Find a size that is universal for when it comes to having a roadcase to use it in

Quote Originally Posted by djfrogstar View Post
    1.)Built in powered usb hub

so many things that eventually get added into a set up.. and ultimately you have to use longer usb cables to get them where you need them... so having something local from the main place you mix can mabey streamline some of the setups.

2.) Find a size that is universal for when it comes to having a roadcase to use it in
    Lets take the new Faderfox as an example, obviously this is just to much...

But it might be a good idea... That was one of the things i´ve been trying to do with my apc40 mappings, complete control of the 4 decks... So you never miss a thing, i think this is the way to go to make it less terrorific to play with 4 decks.

Maybe using a Midi Fighter as a partner to beatjuggle.

Who actually need 4 decks?

I listen to loads of stuff on here and soundcloud and I never heard anyone using 4 decks.

At best you might want 3 - or ideal would be 2 decks and 2 sample banks ... hmmm there's an idea ...
    SC | MC

Tech Guru

I never have the mindset to mix 4 decks at once. Unless my set is preplanned(which rarely happens) I just mostly use 2 and sometimes 3.
    Traktor Scratch Pro, Ableton Live 8, MacBook Pro 13'', Traktor Kontrol S4, Traktor Kontrol X1, , Midifighter, NI Audio 6 DJ, HDJ-2000 Headphones, UDG Producer Bag.
    Original Productions: https://soundcloud.com/alligator
    My Duo Productions: https://soundcloud.com/rockafellers
    Facebook Fanpage -->http://www.facebook.com/djalligator123

That might be the whole idea of using for decks....

Lets take for instance if you do long mixes and have non vocal tracks that can be divided into 7 loops (1 Cue point for the grid, and 8 for loops), and then u can play loops from any song and do something diferent.

that is just a case...

It is really, really hard to mix 4 decks, thats why Nicky your idea of 2 tracks and 2 decks for sampling makes logic sense.

A lot would depend on what type of 'brain' we could use for the controller. Are Livid and Midibox the only obvious choices?

Quote Originally Posted by Archies'bald View Post
    A lot would depend on what type of 'brain' we could use for the controller. Are Livid and Midibox the only obvious choices?
    The Livid One is really expensive, but you have just make a great point...

Ill feed you with more in a bit...

4 decks is my preferred way to mix...sometime even 6... I am more of a buffer mixer though so 4-6 is not really anything I need to plan for.

mixing 1-2 tracking into fx(delays,reverbs, some modulation) then another 2-3 songs beatmatched as the main beat. Having the same amount of controls for each deck makes it easier to swap out with the other. The only time I need a 5th or 6th is for samples or effecting the fx on another track and being able to cut that in.
    I use to mix 4 turntables no problem( that is with single locked groove records ) same procedure as above.
    And even if you dont literally have 4 going at once... having the breakdown, outro or intro of several tracks ready to go is never a bad thing.... Just depends on your mixing style. I never plan anything in advance... for me personally its boring to sit there and just redo the same things.. might as well put in a mix cd.

I would actually be interested in this controller idea if it has alot of buttons.. However the example picture above... is just too packed in one mixer. I like the idea of a controller made in two parts. one for the bottom and the other for the top. or something wider with more space.
    But in all honesty... I hate being honest sometimes... There are enough controllers out there which do the job depending on what the person needs it for.
    The modded midi fighters almost have the perfect sweetspot for a minimal setup. That pic above is definitely for the maximum in one controller.
    I have alot of respect for all these DIY controllers... but seems like they are just going to be nice because the user put the effort to make them.

Banned

I use 4 decks ALL the time, Decks A & B for mixing actual tracks, and then Decks C & D for loops and tools.

And on that note, while the 4midiLoop is pricey, I'm still getting it the moment it comes out. Has everything I could ever need and want. If I can find the exact same thing for cheaper then of course I would consider it, but as it stands this controller does have everything, period.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast