Rules for production/remixing
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Tech Wizard

Default Rules for production/remixing

As far as releasing songs goes, what is legal with respect to copyrights etc. when remixing a song?

Can I remix a song and have the acapella and beat from the song in my remix, does it have to be acapella, for how long can I play it in my remix etc?

Hoepfully theres a simple answer

As far as I know you need permission to use any part of someone elses work - even a tiny sample
    SC | MC

Quote Originally Posted by Nicky H View Post
    As far as I know you need permission to use any part of someone elses work - even a tiny sample
    This is true. Whoever made the song owns all the rights to that song. It is basically illegal to take any part of a song and then distribute it, even if you have remixed it.

However, for the most part, as long as you don't try to sell the remix at all, you should be fine. If anything, you might get an email from someone who represents the artist asking you to remove the copyrighted material. I have never heard of anyone getting hit with a lawsuit without some kind of warning first.

(This is my opinion and not legal advice. If you remix a song and you get sued, it's not my fault )
    Last edited by Lambox; 08-02-2010 at 12:50 PM.
    LamboxMusic.com
    Newest release: A Pimp's Overture in B-Flat Minor
    Check out my free "Robo Rhythm" EP: Here

Soundcloud - Facebook - Twitter

Tech Wizard

Hm, thats weird Im curious how people get a hold of these guys to ask for permission to remix

like Laidback Luke with heartbreaker etc.

Quote Originally Posted by supracg View Post
    Hm, thats weird Im curious how people get a hold of these guys to ask for permission to remix

like Laidback Luke with heartbreaker etc.
    A lot of times it's all about the people you know. If you've met the people who own the music you want to remix, it's a lot easier.

Even if you send an email to an artist and ask for an acapella, a lot of times they will send you one.
    LamboxMusic.com
    Newest release: A Pimp's Overture in B-Flat Minor
    Check out my free "Robo Rhythm" EP: Here

Soundcloud - Facebook - Twitter

And then there is artist who WANTS you to remix maybe lets say a track of his/hers, and so forth.

But yeah, when it comes to selling remixed stuff, always get permission. I guess its the same for freeware tracks. And remember to show who the original artists is in the name of the track etc..

Captain obvious signing off.
    VCI-100SE
    MBP 13" (New Generation)
    Ableton Live - Traktor PRO
    http://myspace.com/joelliljekvist

Tech Mentor

anytime you remix a track without getting permission from the artists, you are making a bootleg. bootlegs are technically illegal...

Coming from someone who's studied music business and IP law for a semester or two... copyright law covers 6 exclusive rights, the pertinent ones here being the right to distribute and the right to creation of derivative works. Assuming you're not actually trying to sell anything here, though, you have little to worry about. Remixing songs has promotional perks for you AND the originating artist, so it's a pretty amiable working relationship. As mentioned, the gravest legal trouble you might get yourself into would be a cease and desist for hosting CR'd music online, or whatever. Until then (which will be never), get creative and have fun with it. Make it yours.

Again, the replier takes no responsibility for original poster in the event that he and/or she ends up in federal pound-me-in-the-ass prison
    "One minute you're on top of the world, and the next some secretary is running you over with a lawnmower."
    Death Before Dishonor
    Drugs Before Lunch
    -Motto of Aspen Gun and Drug Club

Tech Convert

another option is if you don't take a too big sized sample, then if you change the note in the melody or re-edit it around and then use in Ur track it should be fine, thats what a label told me once for vocals on the other hand i don't know...

FYI: A LOT of the remixes you see on beatport of famous tracks from yesteryear are not cleared. Beatport doesn't do anything unless the original artist complains. Lots of times with 80s remixes and such, these artists are not looking on beatport because they aren't even in the game anymore. Tracks aren't named with the original artist name or track title, the remix has an original name so its not out there in the open. Certain tracks on beatport have been pulled down in the past for such reasons.

Everyone want to remix something from the 70s, 80s, and 90s... its usually pretty easy, and it hooks people in because it reminds them of being a kid etc. Sadly there is some really sh!t remixes of this stuff on beatport and usually there is always one in beatport top 10. garbage

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast