Vci-300 tsi - Page 5
Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Vci-300 tsi

Tech Wizard

Replying to myself again.. I just noticed the VCI-300 LED MIDI notes were already posted on this thread. So I guess that's all I need to get started. Great

Tech Wizard

Ok, making the VCI-300 level LEDs working was easy enough.. although I didn't map all of them yet.

There are 12 LEDs per channel (left/right), but the bottom LEDs seem to be always on? Even when not running Traktor.. So that leaves 11 LEDs per side.. and if you use the topmost LEDs as clip LEDs, then you end up with 10 LEDs per side.

What do you guys think of that?

Update: When you start ITCH the bottom LEDs turn off.. hmm..

Tech Wizard

I've been playing with the Traktor Pro MIDI mapping stuff today, and I now have more "ITCH like" mapping for VCI-300. High-precision pitch sliders, both scratch and non-scratch (pitch bend from jogs) modes, etc..

There's something weird with the Traktor LED support though.. When I have 4 or 5 LEDs in use for the level meters (I tried both master level and PFL), the sound playback of Traktor starts to crackle and stutter.. and audio playback becomes very slow = unusable.

Does someone know why this happens? Or even better, how to fix it? I'd need to map/use 24 LEDs for the level meters..

Tech Guru

Pasik,

Sweet!!! Thanks for the taking the .tsi and making things work on it. I know I missed a few things. I have no clue about the LED's though?? Maybe Brad or one of the smart guys on midi notes might know. Unless there is an internal warning system (perhaps the auto gain is reading it incorrectly?). Either way man, saw you've been posting up quite a bit on the VCI-300 threads and wanted to give you your props. Post up the .tsi when you get it all worked out!

Hopefully we won't have to recreate too much for the newer version coming soon?

Also -- what are your thoughts for decks 3 and 4?? I have an X1 currently not using it but was thinking of using it in midi mode for decks 3&4 but having some controls on the decks could work too. Just have to figure out the modifier. Later man - good stuff!
    SSL - DJM 800 - Technic 1200's - X1 - ITCH - NS6 - VCI-300

Quote Originally Posted by pasik View Post
    There's something weird with the Traktor LED support though.. When I have 4 or 5 LEDs in use for the level meters (I tried both master level and PFL), the sound playback of Traktor starts to crackle and stutter.. and audio playback becomes very slow = unusable.
    i assume you're using windows? i forget the exact ins and outs of the issue but it's related to the way the windows drivers for midi and audio are made. on a mac this doesn't occur as they are built differently. there was an article about this on the homepage a little while back. btw i use windows so i'm not window bashing here

a few checks though;
    have you ticked blend on the mapping? if so uncheck that as it won't make a difference on those leds in terms of function, but might aide the processing required to work them.
    i assume you have split the controller range for master output into 11 or 12 sections, one per led (similar to what i posted earlier in this thread). this will put A LOT of strain on system resources, as not only is the sound being processed but there are an additional 11 processes linked to each stage of volume level, outputting to leds.

obviously we can conclude that those leds work fine in itch with windows. the question is why?
    is it a difference in the way audio and midi outs are handled by the program?
    or is it because the internal soundcard interacts with itch, like an sl1 box (or whatever it's called)? so infact the display on those leds is being sent from the soundcard, based on sound level?

when you set up audio routing with souncards are you (this is to everyone in this thread) using the internal one? or an external one? if internal what is it listed as? and what are the options?

a few screen shots would help

Win 7 / 2x Reloop Contour / Numark M6 /Traktor Pro 2.5
    SoundCloud

here's the article i'm referring to

http://www.djtechtools.com/2010/06/2...-macs-and-pcs/

SoundCloud

Tech Wizard

Quote Originally Posted by BradCee View Post
    i assume you're using windows? i forget the exact ins and outs of the issue but it's related to the way the windows drivers for midi and audio are made. on a mac this doesn't occur as they are built differently. there was an article about this on the homepage a little while back. btw i use windows so i'm not window bashing here
    Yeah, I'm using Windows 7 Professional (32bit) currently..

a few checks though;
    have you ticked blend on the mapping? if so uncheck that as it won't make a difference on those leds in terms of function, but might aide the processing required to work them.
    i assume you have split the controller range for master output into 11 or 12 sections, one per led (similar to what i posted earlier in this thread). this will put A LOT of strain on system resources, as not only is the sound being processed but there are an additional 11 processes linked to each stage of volume level, outputting to leds.
    Yeah, I have blend enabled since that was the default. I think I tried without it - but I'll give it a shot again.

obviously we can conclude that those leds work fine in itch with windows. the question is why?
    is it a difference in the way audio and midi outs are handled by the program?
    or is it because the internal soundcard interacts with itch, like an sl1 box (or whatever it's called)? so infact the display on those leds is being sent from the soundcard, based on sound level?
    Yeah, that's the question. I'm pretty sure ITCH doesn't do any magic for the LED stuff - it'd be easy to verify with a MIDI snooper/logger though.

I guess ITCH is just designed differently - to be able to drive all those LEDs in VCI-300.. we need to remember VCI-300 was the original/first supported hardware for ITCH.

when you set up audio routing with souncards are you (this is to everyone in this thread) using the internal one? or an external one? if internal what is it listed as? and what are the options?

a few screen shots would help
    I have NI Audio 8 DJ in use.. so I use VCI-300 only as a MIDI controller. Traktor Scratch Pro (v1.2.6) is set to External mixer mode.

Did that answer your question? And thanks a lot for the reply!

Tech Wizard

here's the article i'm referring to

http://www.djtechtools.com/2010/06/2...-macs-and-pcs/
    Great, thanks!

Tech Wizard

Quote Originally Posted by haze324 View Post
    Pasik,

Sweet!!! Thanks for the taking the .tsi and making things work on it. I know I missed a few things. I have no clue about the LED's though?? Maybe Brad or one of the smart guys on midi notes might know. Unless there is an internal warning system (perhaps the auto gain is reading it incorrectly?). Either way man, saw you've been posting up quite a bit on the VCI-300 threads and wanted to give you your props. Post up the .tsi when you get it all worked out!
    Yeah, I'll definitely post the TSI, hopefully soon!

Hopefully we won't have to recreate too much for the newer version coming soon?
    Can you tell more about this? I haven't really followed the news related to upcoming Traktor versions..

Also -- what are your thoughts for decks 3 and 4?? I have an X1 currently not using it but was thinking of using it in midi mode for decks 3&4 but having some controls on the decks could work too. Just have to figure out the modifier. Later man - good stuff!
    I haven't thought about decks 3 and 4 at all yet.. let's think about those when all the stuff works properly for 2 decks

And thanks a lot for your contributions!

I guess ITCH is just designed differently - to be able to drive all those LEDs in VCI-300.. we need to remember VCI-300 was the original/first supported hardware for ITCH.

I have NI Audio 8 DJ in use.. so I use VCI-300 only as a MIDI controller. Traktor Scratch Pro (v1.2.6) is set to External mixer mode.
    expanding on these 2 points; what happens when you try to use the vci-300's inbuilt card?

what name does it come up as under in preferences?

i know you're on external mode, but i'm trying to diagnose/solve the riddle of how itch works with the leds vs traktor.

can you try running internal on that card and tell me;
    a) the name it shows up as - screen shot plz
    b) besides the usual options for routing master and monitor is there anything else? - screen shot plz
    c) what do the leds do?

also i assume you have an itch disc so...
    d) the name the card shows up as in itch - screen shot plz

don't have a 300 myself so i can't find this out without feedback

also;
    it still uses the same drivers as traktor, so heavy led use from midi/software would have a similar result, hence my theory that the leds, when used with itch, take their signal direct from the soundcards output. as it's an itch device at the end of the day

SoundCloud

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast