Retired DJTT Moderator DvlsAdvct's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by pilmat View Post
    If its for your bedroom, just make sure you get a sub. LOL
    He totally needs two.
    It's the FAQ. Read it.

My Mixes, Mashups and Rants

Divided we stand
    United we fall

Last edited by tekki; 02-05-2010 at 12:12 PM.
    RSTRCTD | twitter | facebook (RSTRCTD) facebook (LJ) | vimeo | pinterest | my studio | soundcloud (RSTRCTD)| soundcloud (LJ)
    -- CHECK our DEBUT (DEEP)HOUSE EP RELEASE ON BEATPORT "RSTRCTD - EXISTENCE" --

Tech Guru

Quote Originally Posted by LanceBlaise View Post
    Just checked your site, you live quite close to me! I am in Fort Lauderdale...
    I know. I believe we have a mutual friend that occasionally DJs at Gryphon (among other places).

Quote Originally Posted by Ciar2001 View Post
    ;-) i was trying to derail it back onto the correct rail lol, thanks m8 will get those once I move!
    Awesome pick bro'!

I am opting for the PM-04 once we move.
    RSTRCTD | twitter | facebook (RSTRCTD) facebook (LJ) | vimeo | pinterest | my studio | soundcloud (RSTRCTD)| soundcloud (LJ)

I'm going for the PM0.4 as well once we move..
    oh wait, we only just moved!1!@3!!#

Quote Originally Posted by nem0nic View Post
    I know. I believe we have a mutual friend that occasionally DJs at Gryphon (among other places).
    Interesting.. I only know of a few people here in FL, so i can narrow it down.

Tech Student

KRK RP5`s or Mackies MR5? for home DJìng and listening music, hiphop, reggae and dancehall.

Tech Mentor

Quote Originally Posted by nem0nic View Post
    And again, this is untrue. First of all, there is no such thing as "perfect acoustics". Second, when you set up a monitoring system, you take into account any deficiencies you have in your room. Contrary to popular (ignorance) belief, you DO NOT need special equipment to set up correctly. Of course an RTA helps, but all you really need is some decent source material and a little guidance. Bob Katz has an excellent guide on setting up subs here...

http://nem0nic.com/BobKatzArticles.pdf
    Of course there are perfect acoustics. Why do people pay thousands of dollars to studio designers then? Why do big studios build the rooms so they do not have parallels walls? Because they want to achieve an acoustic space where the sound is uncolored by the room. That is perfection.

Using equipment like graphic equalizers to correct room deficiencies is really a bad idea. Why? Because even the most perfect graphic eq trashes the signal into X pieces depending on the number of bands, and then join those pieces. If you don't believe me just look for electronic diagrams of equlizers. In sound reinforcement (concerts, events, etc) you do that because you can't change the place. There is no other option. But you have to agree with me: sound in concerts is nothing compared to the quality you can achieve in a good studio.

Yes, I have a few of Bob Katz books btw. I didn't imply I didn't know how to set up a sub, only that installing a sub is not plug and play.

Quote Originally Posted by pier View Post
    [..]
    I didn't imply I didn't know how to set up a sub, only that installing a sub is not plug and play.
    A much overlooked point in a post! But I do agree with you. And to add, most people think they know how to set it up properly, but don't.

That's why I usually advise against them for the ordinairy user.

Tech Guru

Of course there are perfect acoustics. Why do people pay thousands of dollars to studio designers then? Why do big studios build the rooms so they do not have parallels walls? Because they want to achieve an acoustic space where the sound is uncolored by the room. That is perfection.
    And anyone who works in that field will tell you that even when custom built, there is no such thing as perfection. There are ALWAYS issues that keep you from achieving the ideal. Is the room perfect when it's empty? What about when furniture and equipment are added. Or when monitoring changes? Or when the manager of a facility decides the place needs a make-over and hires interior designers (who know nothing about audio) to "spruce the place up".

ALL of this happens in a real facility.

Also, how dead do you make a room? Do you make it so it feels like you're wearing earmuffs when you walk in? Is that perfection? Or do you try and design good sounding spaces? You put 10 real experienced audio engineers together in a room and they'll ALL have different ideas about what "perfection" is. There is no such thing as "perfect acoustics".

Using equipment like graphic equalizers to correct room deficiencies is really a bad idea.
    I didn't imply I didn't know how to set up a sub, only that installing a sub is not plug and play.
    I never said (a) that using EQs to fix room acoustics is a good idea, or (b) that setting up ANY monitoring is plug and play. So what are you talking about?

Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 456789 LastLast