The "what I learned today" thread - Page 6
Page 6 of 18 FirstFirst ... 234567891016 ... LastLast
    Tech Mentor

For djs who are mixing internally on traktor, a good way to monitor gains manually is to leave them at about -2.9ish to start, bring in the new song, preview it and compare it to the song playing in terms of which one is going higher/lower in the volume fader, and adjust the gains manually there. I don't know though how well this will apply when I really need to crank the volume, but this method seems to work nicely.

I also took note that reducing EQ knobs reduces overall volume, so this need to be taken in mind when transitioning as not to cut out too many EQs so that the overall volume drops too much.

midi mapping;

when remapping my vci to tidy up the tsi i decided to put different 'sections' in their own page of the controller manager.
    now if you hit the drop down there's 'basic functions', 'crate', 'sampler section', 'transfrom' and 'a/b juggle/mash'.
    i set the input/output from global to vestax pc controller, as it makes adding new controllers easier as don't have to worry about midi channels.

however, when using modifiers you have to map them in all pages where that mod comes up as each page is seen as a different device. so even though the a/b juggle mods were on, the basic functions continued to work. until i mapped that mod onto to that page. if i kept on global i don't think this would be a problem....?

Win 7 / 2x Reloop Contour / Numark M6 /Traktor Pro 2.5
    SoundCloud

Tech Guru

What I learned today:

Always, ALWAYS see what mode you are in with the VCI 100 SE. By mode I mean Juggle, Fader FX, and regular. Too many times now I have messed up bc of that.

-Gianmarco
    GPS of Fresh Wet Paint | "Always Fresh n' Sticky"
    DJEditorHugger

Fresh Wet Paint: Facebook | Twitter | Soundcloud | Site
    GPS: Facebook | Twitter | Soundcloud

Quote Originally Posted by Gianmarco View Post
    What I learned today:

Always, ALWAYS see what mode you are in with the VCI 100 SE. By mode I mean Juggle, Fader FX, and regular. Too many times now I have messed up bc of that.

-Gianmarco
    could always tweak a few leds to show which mode - http://www.djtechtools.com/2010/05/3...ds-in-traktor/

Win 7 / 2x Reloop Contour / Numark M6 /Traktor Pro 2.5
    SoundCloud

Be sparing with your effects, I did a mix and showed it to a friend and he gave me a bit of a critique saying I may have gone over board with things which broke up the flow a bit.

Having listened back to it, I'm inclined to agree. I'm now a less is more kind of person with effects for effect sake.
    MBP, 15.4", Ableton Live 8 Suite, Novation Remote SL, Pioneer XDJ-RX, Traktor, VCI 100SE!

^bump

I learnt that when you go to check the mail in your nighty, especially when you live opposite a primary school, ALWAYS make sure you do up the string.
    Acer E5 i7 16GB 512SSD 2TBHD ~ WIN 10 ~ TSP 2.11 ~ AUDIO 6 ~ DUAL X1s ~ DN-X1600 ~ SPECTRA ~ TWISTER ~ ATH-PRO500 MK2 ~ ZED6FX ~ AT2020

" I’m the Dude, so that’s what you call me. That or, uh His Dudeness, or uh Duder, or El Duderino, if you’re not into the whole brevity thing. "

Quote Originally Posted by JesterNZDJ View Post
    I learnt that when you go to check the mail in your nighty, especially when you live opposite a primary school, ALWAYS make sure you do up the string.
    I just go nude but that's why I got arrested that time so maybe people should wear something in general? (aren't nighty's for girls? That may have also made your situation worse!)
    MBP, 15.4", Ableton Live 8 Suite, Novation Remote SL, Pioneer XDJ-RX, Traktor, VCI 100SE!

Tech Wizard

Quote Originally Posted by mixmonster5 View Post
    I learned to never dj at an event run by first time organisers, Unless you have full trust in them... Drove 100 miles, booked a hotel. Gig got called off beuause they couldn't rig the sound system, When i got there at 12 o 'fucking' clock !

arrange a cut off point for cancelling or else they have to pay you either way? sounds like a right pain in the ass
    http://soundcloud.com/muur-1
    (Nothing much but if you're interested)

DJTT Infectious Moderator photojojo's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by andydrew View Post
    arrange a cut off point for cancelling or else they have to pay you either way? sounds like a right pain in the ass
    That's what I do with photography. Or I get a non-refundable deposit that's usually about half of the total.
    Chris Jennings FHP

Podcast - Soundcloud - Mixcloud - Beatport Charts - x

Page 6 of 18 FirstFirst ... 234567891016 ... LastLast