New MacBook Pros coming out Thursday - Page 3
Page 3 of 14 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast

So much Mac fan buggery I could throw up.
    Pioneer DJM 700 / Traktor Kontrol X1 / 2 x Technics SL1200MK5 / Traktor Scratch Pro 2.6.7 / Ortofon Concorde Nightclub MK1
    Audio 8 DJ / Sennheiser HD 25-1 II / Magma Traveler / IsoAcoustics ISO-L8R155 / KRK RP6 G2 / Vinyl

Tech Guru

Where did this light peak come from? If they do that I most likely won't be buying one...you know how many problems they are gonna have with that? Theres a difference between implementing new technology and having a product be a beta test...

SSD will store everything from apples image disk right? but applications can't be loaded onto it at 16gb...so basically the only benefit will be boot times.

So now I can access itunes in .1 seconds instead of .2.....YESSSSSSSSSSSSSS

But traktor will load at same speed.

And latency won't be affected by lightpeak

Tech Guru

Traktor is a monolith binary with few big resource files. What this means is that once you start the app, it loads into the memory and there are not much additional/frequent I/Os related to library loading and stuff. Practically, if it's a 16G you might be able to fit Traktor and few other frequently used apps on the SSD. It all depends on how Apple has designed the mount points and the overal file system layout, but it's an Unix like OS, so there should always be a way.

The OS itself on an SSD will be a huge benefit for sure. Do not underestimate this! The OS and it's surroundings is multiple files, libraries, background processes and so on and so on. The SSD with it's fast access times will boost the user experience significantly!

It would have been nice to have the user's Library folder on the SSD, as that's where the frequently used app settings and resources are located. This unfortunately is not very wise to do on a 8 or 16G partition.

BTW, Macrumors also suggest that it'll be [ame="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Intel_Turbo_Memory"]Intel Turbo Memory - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia[/ame] and not just an SSD.

Hmmm... Maybe Apple could also tinker around that SSD with some sort of encryption that wont allow for the several OSX tweaks and other 3rd party applications/functions available. The incorporation of the app store outside iOS devices could be a way to further limit the user ability to tinker inside the OS. Maybe later Apple computers will need some sort of jailbreak to allow 3rd party apps making a more closed experience.

Time will tell.
    Erase. Stop. Start.

Damnit jesc tell me what the secrets are! Pm me !

i hope they add more USB slots as having only 2 is the main reason i didnt buy a mac (and on the same side and so close together)
    Please LIKE MY PAGE FACEBOOK Page and I'll Return The Favor

)))---|> http://facebook.com/DjBullyBolger <|---(((

Tech Mentor

Quote Originally Posted by dual citizen View Post
    It's very possible they could start selling on Thursday. Intel's Sandy Bridge problem reportedly wasn't as big an issue with MacBook Pros. And Apple has been shipping palattes wrapped in black plastic to its retail outlets with strict warnings not to open the packages until indicated.
    Interesting. Of course, if Apple is content with the two 6Gbps SATA ports, they would be able to start shipping fairly soon.

Quote Originally Posted by xtianw View Post
    and people thought i was crazy when i sold off my macs. it was time. i have a 6th sense about when to get out of apple hardware.

my prediction, some form of iOS style either touch screen gesture system, or the announcement of touch gestures iOS style for touchpads in lion on thursday.

if im right, all existing apple hardware is going to take a nose dive in the resale department
    Ummm... there won't be any sort of iOS style touch screen gesture system. And there are already gestures on the trackpads.

This update will include:

• sandy bridge processors
    • higher resolution screens
    • larger trackpads
    • better battery life
    • lighter weight
    • small SSD for OS
    • light peak

I'm unsure of whether this will be a significant redesign. I'd say there's a 50/50 chance of redesigning and going with the liquidmetal alloy currently used in the iPhone SIM card ejector tool.
    The enemy's gate is DOWN.

MacBook Pro | 2.16 Ghz C2D | 120 GB HDD | 3 GB RAM | 250 GB EX HDD
    Mac Pro | 2x2.88 Ghz Quad-Core | 320 GB HDD | 6 GB RAM | 1 TB EX HDD
    Ableton Suite | Akai APC 80 | Torq Xponent

SO MANY I-DRONES!!!! I swear, if they made traktor for linux, I would be done with mac and pc.

Controllerist: Think different | SoundCloud | MixCloud | Twitter |

Page 3 of 14 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast