Big DJ's using the S4? - Page 3
Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast
    Tech Guru

Quote Originally Posted by deejaysoul View Post
    I feel the same you do on this topic, I already own an Audio8 and two X1s, and would prefer to use external 4 channel mixer (which isnt always available at some of my gigs, unless I bring my own), but it is pain to connect all 4 RCAs to mixer and not trip up the dj before me. On the other hand, Im in the process of order a S4, which seems be a great all in one solution and I already know what to expect just using a controller and the ease of setting up once I can find the space in the booth. But my dilemma, should I spent the money on the S4, since I already have great gear, but dont want to deal setup issues and awkward transitions when working with other djs and hope there's a decent working 4 channel mixer to boot.

I think carrying two X1s with carrying cases and an Audio8 takes up just the same room in a bag, but in the booth not so much.

I guess when I really think about the ease of setup, is the main reason to get the S4, one USB cord, one rca and power cord. And then its optional to add a X1 to mix, thats unless NI or somebody else came out with something like the M4-concept mixer, shown else where in this forum and have the unit lock up two X1s to it.
    Yo Deejaysoul...I just got one, it's so much fun. When we demo'ed the unit at Guitar Center we merely scratched the surface. Beats the pants off of my VCI-300.
    :: Kontrol Z2 :: :: Technics 1200 :: :: Pioneer DJM 250 :: Kontrol X1 MkII :: :: Maschine :: :: Kontrol S4 ::

Tech Guru

Quote Originally Posted by deejaysoul View Post
    True, I personally like to see and hear what the pros are using and what they think of certain products. Like tonight Dennis Ferrer and the Martinez Brothers, are performing at Hudson Hotel NYC, I assuming with the new version of Traktor S4 Pro and Audio10.
    OOH yea...I forgot about that party, you going?
    :: Kontrol Z2 :: :: Technics 1200 :: :: Pioneer DJM 250 :: Kontrol X1 MkII :: :: Maschine :: :: Kontrol S4 ::

I wear a 4X so when it comes to big DJs using the S4 I think we have this covered. Rest easy people
    Beats By Dre is like audio flu for your balls.

DJTT Administrator del Ritmo padi_04's Avatar

I'm 1,97mt, S4 in my sig, I guess I qualify as a big DJ

Tech Guru

Quote Originally Posted by smittten View Post
    I wear a 4X so when it comes to big DJs using the S4 I think we have this covered. Rest easy people

Werd! Big DJ here too! LOL

Quote Originally Posted by popoff44 View Post
    That said, S4 is unlikely to become a new "standard" because of its poor build quality. It simply doesn't have the sturdiness/reliability most star dj's would require.
    Why do you say it has a poor build quality? It seems sturdier then the VCI to me. I used the VCI at the DJTT store and it seemed the build quality was lower than that of the S4.

Is that just me? Or does everyone agree with Popoff? I'm jus curious as I am new to the scene.

Honestly, I think it's mostly economics.

I was playing on a pair of X1s and a friend's Xone for a festival last week. It was a nice setup: and if you're a big name DJ then A: you get to specify your mixer-of-choice on your rider, B: you can afford to buy very expensive gear, and C: someone else does all the wiring for you.

In that situation, the more expensive and modular options make more sense, as a lot of the downsides of such setups are negated. I would use a Xone 92, an Audio8, 2x X1s and 2x CDJ2000s if I had money to burn, but the S4 is almost-as-functional and 1/8th the price.

The big win of the S4 is that it's a very capable 4-deck setup for a very low price compared with CDJ+mixers or equivalent, but the appeal here is for a different group.

Tech Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Coldfuzion View Post
    Why do you say it has a poor build quality? It seems sturdier then the VCI to me. I used the VCI at the DJTT store and it seemed the build quality was lower than that of the S4.

Is that just me? Or does everyone agree with Popoff? I'm jus curious as I am new to the scene.
    I think the build quality he is comparing it to is a DJM-800/Xone92 and CDJ2000's. I'd say the only "controller" that is comparable is the Xone 4D, but it's also 2500.00

I think the S4 knobs, faders, etc. all feel great and just as good many mixers -- but if your used to playing on a Xone 92 and CDJ's it might feel like a downgrade in quality. Also there's a sense of trust in standard/typical hardware when charging what some of the big names charge to play.
    SSL - DJM 800 - Technic 1200's - X1 - ITCH - NS6 - VCI-300

I have decided myself to embrace the S4, mostly because its easy to setup and use. I also agree with whats been said already - using traktor scratch pro or traktor pro is such a pain because you have so many cables and usb leads to be plugging in.

I think the build quality of the S4 is superb, It feels great, its really light, its tough & strong. I guess it's just about opinions really.
    The biggest bonus for me is that i have everything i want on one plate - no more jumping from X1 to the mixer, to the cdj's, back to the X1 etc etc. I have all that i want to control at my fingertips 7 that is a real bonus for me, it allows me to get deep and creative without my arms jumping all over the booth trying to work the mixer at the same time as say the FX on an X1.

I'm not saying anyway is right or wrong at all, i don't see they're as being a right or wrong way. The only thing that matters is you and what works for you. What will be easiest for you to set up, what will give you most control etc etc.

Great thread guys!

Just to make myself clear... Yes, I'm comparing S4 to other "professional" dj gear I've worked with in the past, i.e. Pioneer mixers, Technics turntables, Pioneer CDJs, SL3, etc.

In my opinion, S4 is pretty good for a beginner dj, hobby dj (a.k.a. controllerism enthusiast), a pro dj who doesn't travel a whole lot, etc. However, I just don't see how a "big name" dj that travels all over the world and does 5 to 6 gigs a week all in different places would be able to rely on S4 not to brake somewhere in the process.

There are many factors that contribue to that opinion such as the fact that it's made of plastic, jog wheels and some knobs are loose and don't feel reliable (the best example are the headphone knobs on the front; I'm always afraid they will break off), pretty much all buttons on my unit feel different (some have a click, others press softly, etc.), faders, knobs and other critical parts are not easily replaceable (so if you are on the road and something breaks, there is no easy way to fix it), one of the FX assign buttons on my unit broke and started skipping in the first 30 days of very light use (I'm in the process of getting that fixed right now), etc.

As I mentioned before, S4 is still a step in the right direction for me and many others. I'm definitely keeping mine for now, but if something better is available in the same price range in the future (near or distant as I'm not really in a rush) then I will most likely be switching.
    Last edited by popoff44; 02-01-2011 at 12:08 PM.
    2 + 2 = 4

Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast