The "what I learned today" thread - Page 17
Page 17 of 18 FirstFirst ... 7131415161718 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by photojojo View Post
    Traktor? You can tell it in preferences to not let your drunk ass load tracks into a playing deck.
    Yeah, that was the first thing I activated in the preferences. (And as I have managed several times to hit the play button on the playing deck, when I wanted to start the track I was gonna mix in, it's probably good I switched that on - I mean, unpause the track that was just playing within a fraction of a second is just a minor hick-up, unloading that track and loading another one is a whole different category of disaster)
    13,3" MacBookPro (Mid 2012) # 2x Technics 1210 # NI Audio 8 DJ # Ecler Nuo 2.0 # NI Traktor Kontrol X1 # Sennheiser HD-25
    http://soundcloud.com/vincent-lebaron/

DJTT Infectious Moderator photojojo's Avatar

I've done that. The trick is not to freak out, hold your hands up, count to four then hit play dropping your hands with the drop. If your real brave do it a couple more times.
    Chris Jennings FHP

Podcast - Soundcloud - Mixcloud - Beatport Charts - x

Tech Convert

I've done that. The trick is not to freak out, hold your hands up, count to four then hit play dropping your hands with the drop. If your real brave do it a couple more times.
    awesome

Here's a good one: mixing is a perishable skill.

I've not had my laptop working for almost three months now, and I don't have a lot of records.

I've borrowed the girlfriend's laptop for an odd gig here and there during that time, and I was floored by how difficult it had become after not playing for a while. I spent most of my time on the pitch faders and found it hard to devote energy to much else.

Then again I could be just a thick drunk with a short memory.

So practice. And play regularly. Unless you're some sort of genius, it will fade if you don't maintain it.

Traktor? You can tell it in preferences to not let your drunk ass load tracks into a playing deck.
    I learned today that there is a preference in Traktor to stop my drunk ass loading tracks into a playing deck.

Thanks photojojo - exactly what this thread is for!!!
    MacBook Pro, HD25's, Midi-Fighter Classic, Pioneer DDJ-RX , Rekordbox

Quote Originally Posted by PartyMcFly View Post
    Here's a good one: mixing is a perishable skill.

I've not had my laptop working for almost three months now, and I don't have a lot of records.

I've borrowed the girlfriend's laptop for an odd gig here and there during that time, and I was floored by how difficult it had become after not playing for a while. I spent most of my time on the pitch faders and found it hard to devote energy to much else.

Then again I could be just a thick drunk with a short memory.

So practice. And play regularly. Unless you're some sort of genius, it will fade if you don't maintain it.
    Indeed. I hadn't mixed for a year, as my last recorded mix (in my sig) testifies to!
    Tony the Pony.
    My soundcloud page. House, mainly.

Mixcloud & Website coming soon.

Quote Originally Posted by kooper1980 View Post
    Noob mistake i know but i did once hear PvD do this a number of years ago so it can happen to the best of us!!
    Tiesto done it in the netherlands (home gig? ouch.) and i think david guetta done it in paris too.
    DJM800 | 2xCDJ2000 | RMX1000 | Adidas HD25's
    2011 MBP | Traktor 2.6 | Kontrol S4 | Scratch Live | SL2
    Mac Pro | Ableton | Access Virus C | Maschine
    Facebook || Soundcloud || Twitter

Quote Originally Posted by 3heads View Post
    Yeah, that was the first thing I activated in the preferences. (And as I have managed several times to hit the play button on the playing deck, when I wanted to start the track I was gonna mix in, it's probably good I switched that on - I mean, unpause the track that was just playing within a fraction of a second is just a minor hick-up, unloading that track and loading another one is a whole different category of disaster)
    LOL...I had the exact thing happen to me too. Lucky it was not in front of a crowd or anything...
    APC80:STR8-100's+Ortofon Concorde Scratch\Electro:ButterRugz:TSP2-NI Audio4DJ:Xone22+Innofader:MacBook Pro 15"
    www.soundcloud.com/djsarasin
    www.youtube.com/adriansarasin

YEah! Nice one!

Its never a comfortable moment...and not something an inexperienced DJ knows how to handle very well. I know I was real aware of my fuckups back in the day....being scared that one flubb and i would not get booked again etc.
    LOOL...paranoia.

I usually look around for the sound guy while swearing really loudly.....fixing the fuckup during those few seconds if possible. Then act surprised when it comes on again!
    LOL.....kidding....but i do swear and throw my hands up like...Ah Fuck...Shit Happens.....Then show em...HERE WE GO AGAIN!...as Jojo says.

I saw the top South African Psy producer muck up slightly in his live act at my last gig. A channel or something went out....cuz part of the music died. Not all....there was still shit going.....but if you know your tunes you woulda heard it. None one really got it....and prolly thought it was just a break or something. He obviously heard it immediately....and was hands up.....checking the lappy.....showing the crowd just to hang in a tick.....people howling....beats still going....and then when it came back....it was the FULL sound again....and came back with a boom obviously. People went nuts!

Don't think he was expecting that at all!

APC80:STR8-100's+Ortofon Concorde Scratch\Electro:ButterRugz:TSP2-NI Audio4DJ:Xone22+Innofader:MacBook Pro 15"

I learnt how to get my LEDS on my APC to respond to the few mappings I made.

Now I have CUE and Bass Kill with LED feedback.

Wasn't hard!.....Need to understand modifiers now...and attempt some smart knobs!