VCI-100 (firmware 1.3) note strangeness!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default VCI-100 (firmware 1.3) note strangeness!

Hey guys,

A while ago, I drew up a graphic showing all of the notes available on the 1.3 firmware unit of the VCI-100, to make it easier for my mapping projects.

The original graphic is here:-

http://www.djmoonie.co.uk/traktor/vci-100 notes1.3.jpg

Now I've been working on a new mapping for traktor 1.2.4 and noticed something wierd...

The 4 rotaries on the top right of the unit that are used for effects seem to have changed their note (or rather cc) values.

As you can see from my graphic above, each rotary could output one of 3 cc values depending on whether the LED above them was lit for A, master or B.

With traktor 1.2.4 I'm now getting something else:-

When A is lit:- (Top row are the original values, bottom row whats outputting now).

70------71------72------73
    60(07)--71------61(07)--73

When master is lit:-

84------85------86------87
    102(08)-103(08)-104(08)-105(08)

When B is lit:-

74------75------76------77
    62(07)--63(07)---76-----77

However, if I used the old cc numbers and ignore traktors learn button, everything still works fine. On top of this, the numbers in brackets above indicate an additional cc number that is output by the rotary, but only on every other increment (so it flashes on and off).

Just tested the same VCI-100 on traktor 1.1.2 which is my gig laptop and the numbers come out just as expected (ie the old numbers).

So is this a bug with traktor, or something in the firmware that the old version never picked up ?

As a matter of interest, I tried using the 'new' numbers where they had changed, and the rotaries effectively became buttons, no graduation, just either 0 or 100% as I turned them.
    www.djmoonie.co.uk
    The Left for dead show
    (GMT+0) Tuesdays Midnight til 1.30am, on www.phonic.fm,
    or 106.8fm in the south west of england.
    For private bookings, please use www.djmoonie.com

As an addon to this thread, I've been wondering whether anyone has had difficulty using 'soft takeover' with a rotary assigned to master volume ? Basically, it seems to totally ignore it.
    www.djmoonie.co.uk
    The Left for dead show

when you use the learn function for the effect knobs, you'll see that the incoming signal switches from one to another, while you are turning the knob from 0%-100%. You have to use the one where there are two cc-notes. That seams to define the knob AND the current position of the "effect parameter button" (?). It's a bit tricky to catch the right signal, but when i assigned em this way it worked for me, so far.

I guess this bug happens, because the firmware 1.3 changed the effect knobs, to enable effect-select, which is now included in traktor pro. correct me if I'm wrong.

Editted by me! -> See below.
    Last edited by djmoonie; 02-19-2010 at 06:00 AM.
    www.djmoonie.co.uk
    The Left for dead show

Ok using midi-ox I've figured this out myself. The issue is what appears to be a combination of a traktor and a firmware 1.3 bug, or at least inconsistency.

Some of the effects rotaries, and only some, output two cc commands. One is the correct cc with a param value, the second is a cc with no param. Unlike before, traktor is picking up both, making is very hard to use the learn function when programming the effects rotaries.

I'm sure there was some good reason to include these additional cc's in firmware 1.3, but the implementation appears patchy. If you look at my original table posted above, where I show numbers in brackets.. these are the only conditions under which 2 cc's are sent.

So when A is lit, 2 rotaries send double, when master is lit, they all do, and when B is lit, 2 rotaries send double (but a different 2 to when A is lit!).

At least I know whats going on now and can program around it.
    www.djmoonie.co.uk
    The Left for dead show

Question List of firmware changes

is anybody here who could provide a list or a picture of the mapping-input for firmware 1.3. I'm havin quiet a hard time planing my mapping, because i have to work around the features. i'd rather work my ideas into changes, not around them.

I'm sure you can do amazing mapping-combinations with FW 1.3, but not if you don't know where the changes had been made.

I've done note images for both the regular VCI-100 and firmware 1.3.

The links are:-

http://www.djmoonie.co.uk/traktor/vci-100 notes1.3.jpg

and

http://www.djmoonie.co.uk/traktor/vci-100 notes.jpg
    www.djmoonie.co.uk
    The Left for dead show

thats something to start with, but written functions (not notes) is what i need. For example, I do miss the button-note, that enable freeze in faderFX, on the Volumefader on your picture. (fyi: I don't use ean's mapping).
    a complete changelog from the creator would be nice

My problem is, that i have made changes to my vci (1.3), but i dont know where.
    Last edited by FLoer; 02-20-2010 at 09:11 AM.

What you mean is you need a tutorial on what the midi commands do ?
    Thats got nothing to do with the firmware upgrades which is what confused me from your earlier post.

If you've deleted a function and dont know how to get it back.. then backup your existing tsi and find a tsi file that has the bits you want and make a note of how they did it. Then use the same technique in your own file.
    www.djmoonie.co.uk
    The Left for dead show

no. you missunderstood me this time. i want to know which midi-in-functions changed with firmware 1.3. one example is the Filterknob, which is now sending signals for one full knob left and one full knob right.

___

this is in fact, what you did with your picture, but i think there are missing some informations (?)

as i said. a change-log would be nice
    Last edited by FLoer; 02-20-2010 at 10:18 AM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast