midifighter with lego case? - Page 4
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Wow, that is just sick! Please do post schematics if you can, or if you used the LEGO designer post the file. Or just tell us how you did the corner pieces; how are they connected to the inside layer? Anyway I came here to post my attempt at a lego case and now I'm almost embarrassed to post it lol ... here it is http://www.flickr.com/photos/3564766...7623155218581/ it didn't come out how I wanted it to plus when I ordered the pieces they messed up the order so I was missing a bunch of pieces. I built a case for the outside rather than the inside though; definitely going to redo it now because the inside layer makes a lot more sense (and it looks like it fits perfect! Anyway go ahead and check out my flicks as an example of what NOT to do LOL

Moderator of Silly Walks Citizen_Insane's Avatar

@djproben: I wouldn't worry too much, your design does work, while being a bit bulkier than mine. Mine came as a result of pouring out all my lego and spending 3 or 4 hours building different designs and modifying them until I had what I have now. I also spent way too much time as a kid building stuff with lego :P
    Anyway, I'll have a look into this lego designer to make a design for it, because I'm pretty sure that explaining how to make the corners wouldn't be too useful.
    You also reminded me that I have to throw my MIDI Fighter construction pictures up on Flickr lol.

Yeah the lego designer software is pretty cool though it doesn't offer as much info as I'd like -- you can check it out http://ldd.lego.com/ and download it; you build your design and upload it to lego.com and they ship the parts to you in a box that you design as well. They'll even auto-generate a printed booklet that shows you how to put together the design you built. It would've been a lot cooler if they'd shipped all the right pieces though, lol

Yeah definitely post pics; yours looks great!

Moderator of Silly Walks Citizen_Insane's Avatar

Thanks
    Well, spent about an hour on the Lego Design software... and I have schematics
    The colours that I used were entirely arbitrary, I just wanted to make sure that just from looking at it you would be able to tell what piece was what (instead of them all being the same colour which would have been a pain).
    I hope this helps you, and anyone else looking to build the same thing.
    I've put it into the pieces as you assemble them. You build the walls first, slide them in between the chipboard and the faceplate, then attach using the corner pieces. It will be a tight fit and you may have to push the lego into attaching to the corners, but it works
    my pictures on page 3 with the incomplete MIDI Fighter might help you see how I put it together.
    Unfortunately this design covers the expansion ports so you'll have to be creative with one of the side walls if you decide to expand, but this shouldn't be too hard. I'll post an updated schematic for if I expand mine....

And ugh... i cant upload a .lxf file, any ideas?

P.S. I did a check on the price of the pieces and it came to around 35$ CAD... I'm soooo glad I kept all my old lego
    Last edited by Citizen_Insane; 01-25-2010 at 04:41 PM. Reason: Postscript

haha yeah I spent about 30 USD on my design, as I lost my lego long ago... this stuff makes me want to invest in more though it would be useful to have a box or two of them around for projects like this. Not sure you could upload a lxf file here but you could probably post it elsewhere - if you email me a copy I'll post it on my website (djproben at gmail.com). Cheers!

Tech Convert

Citizen_Insane, thats amazing. Looks so cool. I'd love to see the look on kids faces when you pull that one out live
    B-Matty | 2.53ghz Pc | 2.24ghz Macbook | 2 x Pioneer CDJ1000mk3's | Pioneer DJM400 | Serato Scratch Live 3 | Ableton Live 8 | Propellorheads Reason 4 | Carrillon 25-key | Standard MidiFighter

For anyone who wants to play around with Citizen_Insane's lego schematic file, I posted it here: http://turntablepoetry.com/midifighter/MF-lego.lxf

Thanks Citizen_Insane!

hey guys, my personal midifighter lego case is done! it was very in-expensive and easy to do. We will be publishing a how-to with the part #'s in a little while.

Tech Guru

Very Cool!
    Traktor Scratch Pro, Ableton Live 8, MacBook Pro 13'', Traktor Kontrol S4, Traktor Kontrol X1, , Midifighter, NI Audio 6 DJ, HDJ-2000 Headphones, UDG Producer Bag.
    Original Productions: https://soundcloud.com/alligator
    My Duo Productions: https://soundcloud.com/rockafellers
    Facebook Fanpage -->http://www.facebook.com/djalligator123

i guess ill just wait for the write up!

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast