mp3gain - Page 2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: mp3gain

Anaheim Hills, CA, Lake Havasu, Az, & Las Vegas, Nv

Iv had two dj's almost blow my huge PA system due to bringing in tracks with WAY to much gain with out adjusting anything, hah they couldn't even tell, even using my mixer with bright red LED peak meters! I'm deff going to make them seek out one of these programs before getting back on my set///

Tech Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Zac Kyoti View Post
    A question about PN: I got the impression from their website that processing files with their software re-encodes files. Is this true? If it does dynamics processing, eq processing and whatnot, I don't see any way around a re-encode. That's not a problem for lossless files, but with MP3s that's a big no-no. I know MP3Gain doesn't re-encode. What's the final word??
    You can actually select to have them re-encoded into mp3, or left in wav format to be burned directly to CD after the processing has been done.

^^Furthermore, you could just go from mp3 to wav after processing (or pre-processing). Of course the bits lost during the original mp3 encoding will never be recaptured but you won't lose anymore after processing in PN.

Here's what i'm considering for my legacy (mp3) titles as I don't own PN.

mp3>Audacity export to wav>PN>MiK>Audacity export to flac
    I would use mp3 gain but it only supports mp3 which i'm moving away from.

After a recent spate of crappy files from Beatport (see images) i've been searching for other places to find music that cannot be bought on whatpeopleplay which is where I buy most of my stuff.

Can you say clipping?

Looks like someone rammed this track through a planer.

I'm going to continue watching the dev of PN until I feel like it's worth it as i'm not comfortable with one-size-fits-all processing.

danny

Tech Guru

goddamn dude, now thats some hardcore clipping lol

Take it from me lads, its worth it.
    Acer E5 i7 16GB 512SSD 2TBHD ~ WIN 10 ~ TSP 2.11 ~ AUDIO 6 ~ DUAL X1s ~ DN-X1600 ~ SPECTRA ~ TWISTER ~ ATH-PRO500 MK2 ~ ZED6FX ~ AT2020

" I’m the Dude, so that’s what you call me. That or, uh His Dudeness, or uh Duder, or El Duderino, if you’re not into the whole brevity thing. "

Jester I do trust your judgement.
    What could PN do to the above clipping? Do you know if it interpolates across the clip like Audacity or are those technical details not for public consumption or not apparent while using the program? Sorry for the detailed question regarding the inner workings of a program you may not be involved in. What single aspect of PN makes it indispensible--not to put words in your mouth but you do seem to like PN so...
    How long have you used PN?

thanks,

danny

Well at first i ran a few of my old trance tracks through it. 1994-96 ish era. quite low quality (around 160-192 kbps mostly) and obviously they sounded a bit "thin". I think the combination of the clipping and dynamics adjustment feature really made them sound a lot fresher and cleaner. Then i ran some vinyl ripped D&B through in it and wow did it make a diference wth those tracks. Most of them were clipped like crazy beforehand and sounded pretty crap generally. after that i bit the bullet and ran the whole dj collection through. Remember it doesn't do anything to your original copy, it makes a clone and it shows with a "_pn" after it so you know its been processed. If you have any experience with ozone for production, this is what it uses i think.
    Acer E5 i7 16GB 512SSD 2TBHD ~ WIN 10 ~ TSP 2.11 ~ AUDIO 6 ~ DUAL X1s ~ DN-X1600 ~ SPECTRA ~ TWISTER ~ ATH-PRO500 MK2 ~ ZED6FX ~ AT2020

" I’m the Dude, so that’s what you call me. That or, uh His Dudeness, or uh Duder, or El Duderino, if you’re not into the whole brevity thing. "

Hey thanks for the input.
    I'll plop down the credit card here pretty soon and get back with my results. I am a tad concerned with losing my grids, cues and loops though.

Danny

Ahh yeah you will lose them mate.

Tech Guru

Quote Originally Posted by JesterNZDJ View Post
    Well at first i ran a few of my old trance tracks through it. 1994-96 ish era. quite low quality (around 160-192 kbps mostly) and obviously they sounded a bit "thin". I think the combination of the clipping and dynamics adjustment feature really made them sound a lot fresher and cleaner. Then i ran some vinyl ripped D&B through in it and wow did it make a diference wth those tracks. Most of them were clipped like crazy beforehand and sounded pretty crap generally. after that i bit the bullet and ran the whole dj collection through. Remember it doesn't do anything to your original copy, it makes a clone and it shows with a "_pn" after it so you know its been processed. If you have any experience with ozone for production, this is what it uses i think.
    But again, with PN unless you want to re-encode your MP3s, (which I hope nobody here who gigs professionally does), you have to save the modified files as wavs, right? I would love to do this but just don't have the HD space to keep my library as wavs...
    MacBook 2.4GHz, 6GB, Traktor Pro, Ableton Live, Bomes MT, Audio Kontrol 1, Vestax VCI-100 SE Custom, M-Audio Axiom 25, Akai APC40, NI Maschine, 2x Midi Fighters (c/o DJ TechTools - Thanks!!)

Mixcloud DJ Sets

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast