MF Twister map rotary encoder to list selection and constrain range to list size

Default MF Twister map rotary encoder to list selection and constrain range to list size

Hello hello, I've had a twister for years and always just indulged myself on the gratification and other maps available but I now find myself wanting to create a specific map and am struggling to understand some basics (n00b alert).

I recently moved to Rekordbox from Traktor (that's a different story about lack of vinyl integration on effects in TP3 for another day) and I want to map the FX2 module in Rekordbox to my MFT as there's no functionality on the FLX-10 to control it.

The FX2 multi effect set up has four slots for effects, each slot has something like 12 effects available on my version and when I map the effect selection to a rotary encoder the list scrolling response is too sensitive to the encoder and endless, which makes it rather difficult to readily scroll and stop on the effect I want and easy to knock it to the next whilst it is engaged!

I would like to;
    1. Understand how to map the encoder such that one full turn scrolls through the list just once
    2. Configure the mapping such that I can scroll back and it will move the exact same number of items in that same rotation
    3. Configure the mapping such that each position on the encoder is mapped to specific effect (if possible) or
    4. Understand how to map the encoder so that the same effect is selected at the same encoder position (the same as 3 but a slightly different way of phrasing it).

Thanks legends!

Quote Originally Posted by darryljamesbne View Post
    Hello hello, I've had a twister for years and always just indulged myself on the gratification and other maps available but I now find myself wanting to create a specific map and am struggling to understand some basics (n00b alert).

I recently moved to Rekordbox from Traktor (that's a different story about lack of vinyl integration on effects in TP3 for another day) and I want to map the FX2 module in Rekordbox to my MFT as there's no functionality on the FLX-10 to control it. Catlikesbest

The FX2 multi effect set up has four slots for effects, each slot has something like 12 effects available on my version and when I map the effect selection to a rotary encoder the list scrolling response is too sensitive to the encoder and endless, which makes it rather difficult to readily scroll and stop on the effect I want and easy to knock it to the next whilst it is engaged!

I would like to;
    1. Understand how to map the encoder such that one full turn scrolls through the list just once
    2. Configure the mapping such that I can scroll back and it will move the exact same number of items in that same rotation
    3. Configure the mapping such that each position on the encoder is mapped to specific effect (if possible) or
    4. Understand how to map the encoder so that the same effect is selected at the same encoder position (the same as 3 but a slightly different way of phrasing it).

Thanks legends!
    To map the encoder such that one full turn scrolls through the list just once, you’ll need to adjust the sensitivity settings of your rotary encoder within the MIDI mapping section of Rekordbox. This usually involves setting the encoder to a relative mode and specifying the number of steps it takes to go through the entire list of effects. For precise scrolling that moves the exact same number of items in each rotation, you’ll want to ensure that the encoder is set to a ‘relative’ mode and not an ‘absolute’ mode. This way, it will send incremental values rather than jumping to specific positions based on the encoder’s physical location. While mapping each position on the encoder to a specific effect can be challenging due to the nature of rotary encoders, you can create a custom mapping that simulates this behavior. You might need to use a third-party MIDI scripting tool or software that allows for more complex mappings beyond what Rekordbox’s MIDI learn feature can do. To map the encoder so that the same effect is selected at the same encoder position, you’ll need to use a combination of the encoder’s ‘pickup’ mode and custom MIDI scripting. This will require the software to remember the last selected effect and only change it when the encoder passes through that value again.
    Last edited by doria786; 04-23-2024 at 11:26 PM.