APC40 What's the verdict? - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thanks Zac

That is pretty much what I figured out with the exception of a send monitor state and thus had 2 out commands for Play/Pause states. The one thing I need to get used to is the CUP-like behavior of the APC40 buttons as a result of having to tick "Invert" option in the input command for Play/Pause. Otherwise LEDs do not toggle correctly regardless of what I do.
    Also I cannot use PFL (or any other monitor out) for a constantly lit LED. If I set up more than 4 I start getting pops in my audio. Increasing audio latency to 7.5ms helped to some degree but I suspect this is an internal USB controller issue with my laptop. Maybe i'm missing something here?

All-in-all i'm very please with the APC. The feel of the controls are right where I like to be. The only real niggling issue other than monitor LEDs is the behavior of Device On/Off and Send A buttons which I use for FX reset. I may get around to fixing that but it's really not that important.

Cheers,

Danny

EDIR:
    Oh yeah, forgot to mention that I have 8 faders free for automated FX. This is going to be fun!
    Last edited by space monkey; 12-26-2009 at 02:35 PM.

Tech Guru

Its alright, I sold mine due to excessive fader lag. Emailed Akai about it, they confirmed it was an issue they could not fix, and was inherent to the APC-40 due to the data throughout for signals, and LED light feedback.

Tech Guru

Don't see why led outputs should introduce any more latency to your setup. Using a MIDI monitor doesn't show any info being sent continuously with PFL output, so I have no idea how it works exactly, I used the default values Traktor imposes when adding the command. I have my play buttons feedback always via the PFL command, no invert on the actual input command. Some of my other buttons change state via inverted "send monitor state" commands, color just dependent on what modifiers are used.

I've seen the fader lag thing, but only using three or more faders at once. Don't do this often, so it's really not an issue for me. Interesting to note though.
    MacBook 2.4GHz, 6GB, Traktor Pro, Ableton Live, Bomes MT, Audio Kontrol 1, Vestax VCI-100 SE Custom, M-Audio Axiom 25, Akai APC40, NI Maschine, 2x Midi Fighters (c/o DJ TechTools - Thanks!!)

Mixcloud DJ Sets

Tech Guru

The Akai product rep said it had something to do with the MIDI data being sent back to the controller to instruct the LED's to behave certain ways (i.e: LED knob ring values, the pad section which lights different colors, etc). I guess that in culmination with the normal MIDI data being sent to Ableton causes considerable latencies when moving multiple faders, which in all fairness, I didn't foresee myself running into often, but it happened enough times where it became an issue.

Still a good unit regardless, if they fix the issue somehow then I will rebuy it without much hesitation. That fader lag thing really busted my balls though lol.

Anyhow, I didn't save the email but if you shoot their tech support one, they will explain the dynamics of the issue better than I can.

Tech Wizard

Just got an apc40. This is my first controller and i did alot of research before buying it. I'm using it for both ableton and traktor. Im loving it so far. Got just about everything mapped how I want it. Zac Kyoti post was real helpful with the leds. I just cont figure out how to map the leds for loop set. I want it to work like the play/pause. Thanks

Set mine up like this:

In>Loop Set>(Note)
    Assignment= Per Deck
    Type=Button
    Mode=Trigger
    Invert checked

Out>Loop Set>(Note)
    Assignment=per deck
    CR 1 1
    MR 3 3
    I had it set up for blinking while in loop but that started to annoy me and was inconsistent. Also have a modifier where Shift+Note toggles Loop Active however this will turn off the LED unitl pressed again.

Hope this helps

Danny

I'm an owner of an launchpad and recently discovered a similair problem, everytime I press one of the hotcue buttons with storage the LED goes off. There's a thread over at the midikatapult forum with detailed explanation. It would be awesome if you could help me.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12